GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Notchy gearshift in MQ200 gearbox

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
I am driving 2016 1.4TSI 125 PS estate/sportwagon with 6 speed MQ200 gearbox.
The current mileage is 28000 kms and the car is due for its 1st service. I feel shifts from N to 1st and 1st to 2nd are very notchy. I have driven my friend's 2016 A3 with same engine and gearbox and the shifts are smooth as well as the shifter feels weighted.

So whether upgrading the shifter to BFI or Raceseng weighted shifter solves the problem?
Regarding short shifter, I tried but could not find one for MQ200 gearbox.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
A dogbone insert should also help that.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Well, making sure it's not broken or badly adjusted would be a good start. It shouldn't be noticeably worse than anything else.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
All the newer MQ gearboxes are bad in feel....

Its the bushes, the plastic side lever, & various other things..

The main problem is that the metal hole to fit the alignment pin into next to the gearstick is now plastic & is not 100% solid compared to the older all metal set-ups...so 100% perfect alignment of the cables between the gearstick & gearbox will never happen!!

Post a picture of the linkage or give us the parts numbers

looking at parts Numbered 10 & 15

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2016-763/7/711-711040/#15

Your arm has changed, but the plastic side lever might the same as mine & the bushes look the same as mine in my thread here:-

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14444

Last edited:
I feel shifts from N to 1st and 1st to 2nd are very notchy. I have driven my friend's 2016 A3 with same engine and gearbox and the shifts are smooth as well as the shifter feels weighted.

So whether upgrading the shifter to BFI or Raceseng weighted shifter solves the problem?
Fitting a shortshifter will probably make things worse. Since the lever certainly isn't
the cause it cannot solve the issue. I agree on that the soft bushings may contribute
to some vagueness, however get it aligned properly first! If in doubt swap the gearbox
oil (perhaps G052527A2). ;)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I am driving 2016 1.4TSI 125 PS estate/sportwagon with 6 speed MQ200 gearbox.
The current mileage is 28000 kms and the car is due for its 1st service. I feel shifts from N to 1st and 1st to 2nd are very notchy. I have driven my friend's 2016 A3 with same engine and gearbox and the shifts are smooth as well as the shifter feels weighted.

Regarding short shifter, I tried but could not find one for MQ200 gearbox.

Just had a look at the parts for your car & the Audi...all the same....

...Except the main gearstick unit & cables...parts ending AM for yours & part ending in AN for the Audi...

could be nothing, as part numbers can change, however it is not unknown for a slight change in lettering after the number to be a completely different part!

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had a look at the parts for your car & the Audi...all the same....

...Except the main gearstick unit & cables...parts ending AM for yours & part ending in AN for the Audi...

could be nothing, as part numbers can change, however it is not unknown for a slight change in lettering after the number to be a completely different part!
Thanks golfdave for confirming the part numbers. As a first step I will ask the service guy to adjust the shifter cables during my 1st service.