GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis - Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GOLFMK7. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GOLFMK7 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK7 so we can keep this place running!

Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #222
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez0101 View Post
So I switched from ED to DG springs this past weekend. The ride is more comfortable, quite a bit less stiff. I haven't gone for a spirited drive yet, so I can't really say how much body roll is back, but it feels less than stock, but more than with ED's. Also, the annoying rattle I had from the ED's, paired with 034's strut mounts, is gone now that my suspension is basically back to OEM.

Overall, I'd say I'm pleased. Which is good because my back hurts after changing out the fronts...

The picture of the springs is a comparison of the rears. I forgot to take one of the fronts.

First pic is ED, second is DG. The last one is when I just had the DG rears on with ED fronts. Honestly, I kind of like the positive rake look on GTIs!
Looks perfect!
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #223
Caesarmascetti

Drives: GSw
2016 GSW, with VW Sport Suspension springs, 21.7mm rear GTI sway bar, and Koni FSDs. After using KW V1's for 3 mos and deciding they were way too harsh for the roads around Phila, Pa this setup is about perfect, near stock ride and much improved handling:

Caesarmascetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #224
Gogo GTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Finally got my DG springs installed on my GTI Sport with DSG. Thought I'd add my pics to the repository of DG spring knowledge.

Overall I'm pleased. Would loved to have gone with a VWR drop but this is the best compromise for looks and for practicality/current needs. Went from about a 3 1/2 finger gap to about 2 fingers. It rides and feels exactly the same as the stock springs-- no exaggeration. If you can tell the difference you have some ultra sensory abilities. (I was totally wrong about this and have since updated my opinion). To reiterate a common opinion-- this is how a GTI should be stock.

I also have the ECS flush kit installed. I'm not sure if I'm totally on board with the poke of the 15mm/20mm spacers. Might want to go 10mm/15mm.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gogo GTI; 10-04-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Gogo GTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #225
lokerola

Drives: 2017 GTI Autobahn 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogo GTI View Post
Finally got my DG springs installed on my GTI Sport. Thought I'd add my pics to the repository of DG spring knowledge.

Overall I'm pleased. Would loved to have gone with a VWR drop but this is the best compromise for looks and for practicality/current needs. Went from about a 3 1/2 finger gap to about 2 fingers. It rides and feels exactly the same as the stock springs-- no exaggeration. If you can tell the difference you have some ultra sensory abilities. To reiterate a common opinion-- this is how a GTI should be stock.

I also have the ECS flush kit installed. I'm not sure if I'm totally on board with the poke of the 15mm/20mm spacers. Might want to go 10mm/15mm.
Looks good. I have the exact same set up, including the 15/20 spacers. I thought the wheels looked pushed too far out when I first put the spacers on, but they've grown on me over the summer and look normal now.

2017 GTI Autobahn, 6-speed manual, DCC, Night Blue|DG Springs|ECS Spacer Kit|BMS Clutch Stop|Boomba Short Shift Adapter|BFI Shift Knob|AllPro iPhone Mount|Pirelli P Zero Nero GT Summer Tires|Chasing Rattles
lokerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #226
Gogo GTI

I have to say, I'm pretty sure my stock suspension settled lower after year of ownership. Brand new my wheel gap was an monster truck 4 fingers. Before installing the DG springs the gap was a 3-3 1/2 finger gap. Granted I didn't do any empirical measuring.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #227
nype

Drives: 2016 GTI Performance - DSG - Carbon Grey w/Leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokerola View Post
Looks good. I have the exact same set up, including the 15/20 spacers. I thought the wheels looked pushed too far out when I first put the spacers on, but they've grown on me over the summer and look normal now.

I went down from 15/20 to 10/15. Wait until the winter arrives. Your car will stay significantly more clean. Much less crap sprayed up the sides and back.
nype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #228
Chirpthe1-2

Drives: 2017 GTI S 6 spd
Chirpthe1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #229
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Quote:
Finally got my DG springs installed on my GTI Sport. Thought I'd add my pics to the repository of DG spring knowledge.

Overall I'm pleased. Would loved to have gone with a VWR drop but this is the best compromise for looks and for practicality/current needs. Went from about a 3 1/2 finger gap to about 2 fingers. It rides and feels exactly the same as the stock springs-- no exaggeration. If you can tell the difference you have some ultra sensory abilities. To reiterate a common opinion-- this is how a GTI should be stock.

That does look better. I have the same springs to install... to me it would probably be perfect about .5-.75" lower... however this gets rid of the SUV stance look and still leaves the car plenty drivable in daily life situations. I'm not looking forward to having my bumper ripped off because it's slammed to the ground..
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #230
LI_GTI_Guy

Drives: Mk7 GTI
Quote:

Looks great....just enough of a drop to improve the appearace without sacrificing driveability. I plan to install these springs in the very near future as well.

Would you care to share the part number for the DG springs you installed? I know theres been debate on this so seeing them on a GTI is reassuring that there arent any issues.
LI_GTI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #231
Gogo GTI

I got the confirmed, undisputed, correct kit for the GTI: 5G4 071 677 E.

I was a bit thrown off when I received the springs (from someone on the forum) because they are printed with the part numbers MUB 071 675 B and MUB 071 676 C. Which are indeed turns out to be the correct Mubea part numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #232
Gogo GTI

I've changed my opinion on how the DG springs ride. Initially, I thought it felt exactly the same as stock. That was based on my freeway commute. Today I took the twisty way home and I’m really happy to say that I can feel a noticeable difference. The car definitely feels more planted and has less body roll. There are sections and curves on my drive where I used to feel the car getting squirrelly and now with the DG springs, I definitely feel more connected with the road with better control.

One thing that really improved that I wasn’t expecting was that the springs have significantly reduced NVH on a few rough and bumpy sections on my drive that used to make my teeth chatter. The springs surprisingly smoothed it out with less noise and cabin rattling. Otherwise, NVH is the same as stock generally. However, the ride does feel slightly stiffer so bigger bumps are a different story.

I wasn’t expecting much initially and I was probably biased because of the moderate drop and using stock dampers. I’m glad to say this is turning out to be a mod that’s very well worth it. Not huge improvement performance-wise but enough to make my daily drive more pleasant and fun.

Last edited by Gogo GTI; 10-05-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #233
LI_GTI_Guy

Drives: Mk7 GTI
Quote:
I got the confirmed, undisputed, correct kit for the GTI: 5G4 071 677 E.

I was a bit thrown off when I received the springs (from someone on the forum) because they are printed with the part numbers MUB 071 675 B and MUB 071 676 C. Which are indeed turns out to be the correct Mubea part numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the clarification.
LI_GTI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote