GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

mrrogers1

It might end in D or E...but the info on the item is from the VW parts system (ETKA).
This is a UK user "Colinstone" who tested out the one for the multilink suspension, which did not fit & then managed to exchange it for the correct 206J version which is for the twist beam suspension..

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=196065&postcount=62

Dang, well, both of the guys with these parts fitted are in the UK and oddly enough, not even e-acca shows this part. :(

Well, at least I can get all the other main parts that work on the TDI like the skid plate, long front exhaust cover and the rear axle cover from e-acca. I'll just have to wait to find the other part.

*Oh, and Thank you for your VERY detailed guide(s) GolfDave!

Last edited:

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Just put in the center exhaust tunnel front cover and rear exhaust tunnel cover.

Going for a drive a little later to see if I notice any difference in road noise.

Contemplating on ordering the rear axle cover soon too.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just put in the center exhaust tunnel front cover and rear exhaust tunnel cover.

Going for a drive a little later to see if I notice any difference in road noise.

]

Nice...

So easy to fit you just know VW cost cutting as much as they can by making the item & then only fitting to certain versions in certain countries...

Imagine if every MK7 had the full set...imagine how much fuel that would save around the world due to the better aero...

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion

I'm located just south of you in St. Cloud, FL and plan to make these modifications during the off season. Hopefully you won't mind if I PM some questions when I start these modifications.

Nice...

So easy to fit you just know VW cost cutting as much as they can by making the item & then only fitting to certain versions in certain countries...

Imagine if every MK7 had the full set...imagine how much fuel that would save around the world due to the better aero...

Dave, I noticed in your writeup you mention the reinforcement for tunnel 4WD part number 5Q0 804 412 B but when I search for that part nothing comes up; however, 5Q0 804 421 B does show up as a valid part number. Was this a typo or do I need to find the part ending in 412 B?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave, I noticed in your writeup you mention the reinforcement for tunnel 4WD part number 5Q0 804 412 B but when I search for that part nothing comes up; however, 5Q0 804 421 B does show up as a valid part number. Was this a typo or do I need to find the part ending in 412 B?

Oh cluster feck....

typo sorry....:eek:

Well spotted....:cool:

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Nice...

I agree 100%. VW's decisions boggle me.

Question about the rear axle cover. I have the wagon so I need the Passat verison correct?

For big cover:-
Item No.7:- 1K0 501 681, retaining bracket, left, £2.68 (x1) ***
Item No.7:- 1K0 501 682, retaining bracket, right, £2.75 (x1)***
Item No.9:- N 905 483 05, Hex collared bolt M8x20mm, £0.86 (x2) ***
Item No.10:- N 901 838 03, Hex collared nyloc nut M8, £0.67 (x2) ***
Item No.12:- 3C0 501 713 A, Plastic trim for rear axle support frame (includes Item No.13), £36.10 (x1) ***
Item No.13:- WHT 000 713, Hex collared plastic nut Z11, £0.23 (x2)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I agree 100%. VW's decisions boggle me.

Question about the rear axle cover. I have the wagon so I need the Passat verison correct?
)

Which axle/suspension do you have??

Twist beam or multilink??

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat

looks awesome! Have you noticed a big difference all-around? For the rear axle cover- what part number will you be using? I have a 2015 GTI

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
For the rear axle cover- what part number will you be using? I have a 2015 GTI

Did you not read the posts between the one you quoted & the one you posted above??

He has the estate with multilink rear suspension so will be able to fit the full width Passat one.

You have a hatch with multilink rear so you have to fit the short cover from the MK5 golf....as per my post on the first page ..post number 5

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103091&postcount=5

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat

Derf

Ready to race!
Dave,
can you answer me two quick questions?
1) does the front engine skid/under tray interfere at all with the oil pan drain plug? I couldn't tell from pictures if you need to remove any of it during an oil change.

2) a quick eyeball at the parts tally puts the figure at close to £700! For us yanks across the pond that comes out around $850, or in another way, almost 4% of the price of the base GTI @ $25,000. Considering we pay about $2.50 a gallon of gas, which nets about 30-35 miles, the practical purpose of increasing aerodynamics for saving 'fuel economy' seems mute, no?

I suppose this has a practical application for reducing under carriage damage by rough road conditions, and reducing cabin noise. Its difficult to put a price on that.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
The front engine skid/under tray does interfere with access to the oil pan drain plug and I had to remove it for the oil change - not a big deal and with 10k change intervals even less of the pain.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave,
can you answer me two quick questions?
1) does the front engine skid/under tray interfere at all with the oil pan drain plug? I couldn't tell from pictures if you need to remove any of it during an oil change.

2) a quick eyeball at the parts tally puts the figure at close to £700! For us yanks across the pond that comes out around $850, or in another way, almost 4% of the price of the base GTI @ $25,000. Considering we pay about $2.50 a gallon of gas, which nets about 30-35 miles, the practical purpose of increasing aerodynamics for saving 'fuel economy' seems mute, no?

I suppose this has a practical application for reducing under carriage damage by rough road conditions, and reducing cabin noise. Its difficult to put a price on that.

The skid tray fully covers the underside of the engine bay area, so by definition you have to remove it to gain access to any part of engine bay now covered...

As for cost....$850 is a cheap set of tyres /alloys...which will have no real benefit ...these trays etc protect the car & oil pan, reduce road noise as stones hit these instead of the noisier metal....and will improve the stability of the car (Passat rear tray for estate does make a noticeable difference on high speed corners..)

Over here a US gallon (3.79lts) costs about £4.54..& at todays exchange rate is $5.99 ...

When you lot have to pay what we do then you will stop polluting as much otherwise there is no incentive to be clean & green. ....:cool: