GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 AM   #188
CLDUCK

Drives: Volkswagen Golf GT Estate 2.0TDi DSG 2017
How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Ive never seen a mid box muffler in that place before, mine is the straight through pipe being a diesel.
So far as heat soak, my 300mile journey to London the other day gave me a warm chassis under the rear seats which may be harmful over the longer life of the car - what are your thoughts?
Ill get a laser thermometer out next time im to do such a drive
Connor
_______KW Street Comfort, Powerflex Handling pack, Maxton Cup Splitter, GTI Skirts, Complete Underbody Paneling & 'R' Rear Side Spoilers_______ Full LED lighting, Passenger Seat ISOfix, K&N Filter, HEKO Deflectors, 'Edition' wing & 'GT' rear Badging.
CLDUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #189
golfdave

Drives: Defensively, avoiding all the other idiots!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLDUCK View Post
Ive never seen a mid box muffler in that place before, mine is the straight through pipe being a diesel.
So far as heat soak, my 300mile journey to London the other day gave me a warm chassis under the rear seats which may be harmful over the longer life of the car - what are your thoughts?
Ill get a laser thermometer out next time im to do such a drive
Connor
Mid box mufflers may or may not be there depending on petrol diesel & power output, my petrol has one...

As for temps, I think that's a bit hot, which is why I chose not to make my own cover & just stick to the VW stuff!

You could also have been doing a DPF regen which makes it hotter....have you had the emission fix? as this causes the engine to enter DPF regen mode more.
golfdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #190
CLDUCK

The panel will be coming off for the 1st service which is booked in next week. Following that I will see how it goes as dont often drive so far thus having exhaust temps soaking into the cabin.
The car was built in November last year so im not sure that it is due any recalls..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
_______KW Street Comfort, Powerflex Handling pack, Maxton Cup Splitter, GTI Skirts, Complete Underbody Paneling & 'R' Rear Side Spoilers_______ Full LED lighting, Passenger Seat ISOfix, K&N Filter, HEKO Deflectors, 'Edition' wing & 'GT' rear Badging.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #191
CLDUCK

Just checked online and my car isnt due any safety recalls
Old 07-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #192
CLDUCK

Good afternoon
Just an update running the under trays.
It recently went in for its 10k mile service and I removed the "home made" panel and I could feel the difference on the motorway instantly.
The section of exhaust it encases was purple due to the heat but nothing in the whole exhaust looked unhappy, distorted or melted.

I will look into getting the undertray you have listed @Golfdave to add extra airflow within the drivetrain.
Connor

Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #193
golfdave

Quote:
Good afternoon
Just an update running the under trays.
It recently went in for its 10k mile service and I removed the "home made" panel and I could feel the difference on the motorway instantly.
The section of exhaust it encases was purple due to the heat but nothing in the whole exhaust looked unhappy, distorted or melted.

I will look into getting the undertray you have listed @Golfdave to add extra airflow within the drivetrain.
Connor

Just hope that no damage has been done to any wiring etc. on the inside of the cabin near the centre console are..

I am always dubious about totally encasing exhausts unless you wrap them in a heat wrap fabric first...
Old 09-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #194
mrrogers1

Quote:
Thanks Dave, I wasnt the one to say if they fit or not so thanks for clearing that up
Hope you're well

CLDUCK (or anyone that might be able to help), where did you location this part for your TDI?

Rear exhaust tunnel cover

For twist beam rear suspension:-
Item No.18
:- 5G0 825 206 J, Underbody trim for twist beam

I can see from you pictures that it's fitted but I can't find that part anywhere. I did locate the other part for the multi-link but seeing as if I do have a NA GSW TDI, I have to deal with the twist beam situation, just like, I think, you do.

Thanks for the good pics and any info you can give me on that part.
mrrogers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #195
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrogers1 View Post
CLDUCK (or anyone that might be able to help), where did you location this part for your TDI?

Rear exhaust tunnel cover

For twist beam rear suspension:-
Item No.18
:- 5G0 825 206 J, Underbody trim for twist beam

I can see from you pictures that it's fitted but I can't find that part anywhere. I did locate the other part for the multi-link but seeing as if I do have a NA GSW TDI, I have to deal with the twist beam situation, just like, I think, you do.

Thanks for the good pics and any info you can give me on that part.
It might end in D or E...but the info on the item is from the VW parts system (ETKA).
This is a UK user "Colinstone" who tested out the one for the multilink suspension, which did not fit & then managed to exchange it for the correct 206J version which is for the twist beam suspension..

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=62
Old 09-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #196
mrrogers1

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdave View Post
It might end in D or E...but the info on the item is from the VW parts system (ETKA).
This is a UK user "Colinstone" who tested out the one for the multilink suspension, which did not fit & then managed to exchange it for the correct 206J version which is for the twist beam suspension..

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=62
Dang, well, both of the guys with these parts fitted are in the UK and oddly enough, not even e-acca shows this part.

Well, at least I can get all the other main parts that work on the TDI like the skid plate, long front exhaust cover and the rear axle cover from e-acca. I'll just have to wait to find the other part.

*Oh, and Thank you for your VERY detailed guide(s) GolfDave!

Last edited by mrrogers1; 09-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.
mrrogers1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rough road package, skid trays, stone guards, under trays