GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5150 update wait time

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Being a native Californian, I think you both are underestimating the craziness of some of California's laws... Burger Tuning can't sell JB4s/JBwhatevers in the state in which they are incorporated and operate...

I hear ya, I have some first-hand experience in the PRK. A whole lot of insanity and freedom hacking going on there.

When Diggs mentioned the EPA, well yeah, that's a whole other ball game. That would be the "race parts" problem that makes sense. I can understand not wanting to tangle with them.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I understand what you're saying but after talking to Jon and how he presents himself, he definitely talks down about other tuners and acts like he's a god in the tuning world. Very off putting. In my opinion I feel that's why he mentioned the EPA thing about Evans even though yes, it is good to stay out of the sight of them. Check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_HSMG_bb4A

this is the kind of person you want tuning your car. Alex @ stratified will talk and explain to you like this. So will Nishan at Nishan tuning. Not sure about freaktunes.. never dealt with them. Jon @ 5150 will def not treat you like this lol.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I understand what you're saying but after talking to Jon and how he presents himself, he definitely talks down about other tuners and acts like he's a god in the tuning world. Very off putting. In my opinion I feel that's why he mentioned the EPA thing about Evans even though yes, it is good to stay out of the sight of them. Check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_HSMG_bb4A

this is the kind of person you want tuning your car. Alex @ stratified will talk and explain to you like this. So will Nishan at Nishan tuning. Not sure about freaktunes.. never dealt with them. Jon @ 5150 will def not treat you like this lol.

I know you were not happy with the service you reveived fron Jon but please try to not manufacter drama. I've met him in person and have dynoed twice there. He has been cool with me and I've haven't seen him talk down to other tuners in the past. He may be quick to call BS on a dyno that is clearly BS though.

My Experience with Jon has been pretty stellar. A month or so back I was down in his area for a ship cruise and wanted to get my etune finished up on his dyno. He suprisingly agreed to do this and came in on his day off to finish up the tune. When I had my debit card in hand and ready to pay for his dyno time he said no charge!! I have the second best ET on stock IS38 on a pretty basic setup with minimal weight reduction. A few weeks back I was in his area again for a disneyland trip. I had a tomioka turbo I wanted installed and tuned. I know the dude is busy but asked anyways to see if the shop can install and tuned by him. Surprised again that he agreed but off course paid for the dyno tune on new turbo. Now will be shooting for 10s on this setup.

Just this weekend he spent 6 hours on his day off live etuning with 20+ customers. He is trying to update the tunes. The thing is he is just too busy to keep up but he is trying. I've always said in the begginning Jon knows his stuff and is the go to for VW tuning. But be prepared to wait. After all rome wasn't built in a day.

Navi

Autocross Champion
It’s not manufactured drama. I have emails where he says other tuners can’t compare to him. And multiple people have had bad experiences with him. Obviously if you go to his shop you’ll be treated differently. Fact remains he doesn’t care about Etunes customers or their tunes. Only their money. Yes he might be too busy but there is no transparency in his business. It’s always excuses and false promises. There were times when he told me to expect a tune a certain day and it never came until I emailed him 3 weeks after. I’m sure if I went to his shop and did a dyno tune he would have treated me differently but that’s not the case.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Just this weekend he spent 6 hours on his day off live etuning with 20+ customers. He is trying to update the tunes. The thing is he is just too busy to keep up but he is trying. I've always said in the begginning Jon knows his stuff and is the go to for VW tuning. But be prepared to wait. After all rome wasn't built in a day.

Not for nothing, but he’s not professional. Pac seems more like an outlier in terms of his experience. He took 2 weeks to answer my emails. He has no web page. No phone number. Look at Stratified. They have a legit website, tune multiple platforms (actually more platforms than Jon) but offer great service. I don’t even tune with them, but have heard nothing but great things from them from my days on the ST forums. They also get super busy, but it doesn’t detract from the level of customer service you get with them. Also, when they’re too busy and falling behind, they don’t continue taking etune orders. They adjust their website to say “sold out” so that people don’t continue ordering tunes and they arrive at a situation like Jon is in. There really is no excuse for the terrible service and lack of communication. If you run a business, act like you’re a business owner. Treat your clients with respect and be professional. We all know how good a tuner “he” is, but that shouldn’t mean you have to deal with being ignored for weeks/months especially after your money’s been taken, with no hesitation.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Haha that escalated quickly. I think a lot of ppl are coming out of the woodworks with their legit stories they just didn't want to share and blow up a great tuner. It really is too bad. Greet product outshined by a bad business model and bad customer service. People can defend it all they want, the stories here speak volumes and this isn't even all of them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

nveeser

Passed Driver's Ed
I just have to chime in with the same frustration. I wish you had come forward earlier.

I am sure Jon is excellent. However he seems to have taken on more work than he has time for. That's a good problem to have. He's like Nicolas Cage - he just can't say no to a job. My guess, he really thinks he will get through all these tunes "next Sunday". I bet if sat down and honestly looked at all the open emails he has, he would have 10X what he imagines.

I have only been waiting a 3-4 weeks. It looks like I will be waiting for many months? I will probably complain to Paypal. But I don't want to add more stress to the guy who is obviously spread thin. And I don't want to have to scare him every week into doing the work I paid for. That just means everyone else who paid and is being patient gets pushed even farther out.

I just want the money back so I can spend it with a tuner who has time right now. There are too many good people running small businesses who could use the support.

crediem_2

Passed Driver's Ed
I just have to chime in with the same frustration. I wish you had come forward earlier.

I am sure Jon is excellent. However he seems to have taken on more work than he has time for. That's a good problem to have. He's like Nicolas Cage - he just can't say no to a job. My guess, he really thinks he will get through all these tunes "next Sunday". I bet if sat down and honestly looked at all the open emails he has, he would have 10X what he imagines.

I have only been waiting a 3-4 weeks. It looks like I will be waiting for many months? I will probably complain to Paypal. But I don't want to add more stress to the guy who is obviously spread thin. And I don't want to have to scare him every week into doing the work I paid for. That just means everyone else who paid and is being patient gets pushed even farther out.

I just want the money back so I can spend it with a tuner who has time right now. There are too many good people running small businesses who could use the support.

I contacted him and asked for a refund and he said that as long as my get my base map I can’t get a refund so just be prepared. Another person I spoke with said they went to their credit card company and the credit card reimbursed them so I think I’m just going to do that instead of PayPal. Someone suggested I email him every week I don’t have time for that nor should I have to. He actually sent me an email last week and said that he found my email from two months ago with my tunes. That makes sense what you said about him getting tons of emails I prob just got lost in the all the others. I’ll give a few more weeks for an update now that he “found” it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadEA888

Passed Driver's Ed
If he has that bad of customer service and his response to I want a refund is....nope sorry you got a base tune. Then he should be reported to the BBB, yelp, google reviews etc....

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I understand being upset with having to wait several months, but I'm curious at to what you disgruntled ones believe is a realistic and appropriate turnaround time to receive a revision.

crediem_2

Passed Driver's Ed
I understand being upset with having to wait several months, but I'm curious at to what you disgruntled ones believe is a realistic and appropriate turnaround time to receive a revision.

That’s a great question and I put a lot of thought into it before I posted but I would say 2 to 3 weeks max? I don’t think it so much that the wait time is excessive but it’s just the fact that there was no expectation set that it might be a long wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Think some IT people on here need to reach out and help him setup a ticketing system.

There's some free ones out there that would do the job for his size business.
Osticket or spiceworks.

He might have bitten off more than he can chew, but from reading on here, it seems he just doesn't know how to organize and prioritize his time.

Email just doesn't work for what he's trying to do.