GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission mount insert - OEM mount part number?!

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I’m looking at the BFI transmission mount insert. It mentions that it will only fits a certain oem trans mount part number.

How in the world are we suppose to know the part number?! (without ripping appart the battery/tray, airbox, ecu bracket, wire harness etc. to access the trans mount)

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone know?! :confused:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone know?! :confused:

Just buy the insert from a place that accepts returns. Once you've got it.
Remove the battery, battery tray, and pull aside the wiring harness to check. I don't think there is much of a chance that you can't use it.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
That insert won’t work on a 2016 GTI. The model numbers are date specific and only the 2014 production dates will work with that insert. The 2016 will have one of the model numbers listed that this mount will not fit. My 2015 has the trans mount model number ending in AS.

Hope that helps!

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Just buy the insert from a place that accepts returns. Once you've got it.
Remove the battery, battery tray, and pull aside the wiring harness to check. I don't think there is much of a chance that you can't use it.

I'd like to avoid this.
If I'm uninstalling all of these parts, I'd like to do it once with a mount that fits.

That insert won’t work on a 2016 GTI. The model numbers are date specific and only the 2014 production dates will work with that insert. The 2016 will have one of the model numbers listed that this mount will not fit. My 2015 has the trans mount model number ending in AS.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! that helps a lot
Crap ... back to the drawing board for the trans mount

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Hope that helps!

I don't get it. It fine in my 2017.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
There are two revisions of the mount, and it seems very little rhyme or reason for which your vehicle will have. If you have the 'wrong' revision, the mount itself is welded and will not come apart as the two piece revision will.

I ordered the insert, found out i had the wrong mount, and was able to find the correct revision mount on ebay for like 30 bucks, and installed the insert on that. I went that route. If not, ECS sells a stand alone trans mount that i'm sure works better than OE with insert.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I have no experience with this part from BFI, but they do have the same note on their website.

https://store.blackforestindustries.com/bfitrmoinmqb.html

Now that I’m thinking about it I remember that the newer transmission mounts need to have rivets drilled out to get this part in. Did you have to do that?

Yeah, mine had rivets and I drilled them out in 5 minutes.

There are two revisions of the mount, and it seems very little rhyme or reason for which your vehicle will have. If you have the 'wrong' revision, the mount itself is welded and will not come apart as the two piece revision will.

I ordered the insert, found out i had the wrong mount, and was able to find the correct revision mount on ebay for like 30 bucks, and installed the insert on that. I went that route. If not, ECS sells a stand alone trans mount that i'm sure works better than OE with insert.

Spot welded or full welded?

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve replaced the insert in cars built 2015, 16, & 17.

Only way to know is to look for yourself. Don’t feel like it? Pay the $100 premium to get the pre assembled one

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Yeah, mine had rivets and I drilled them out in 5 minutes.

Spot welded or full welded?

I want to say they are full welded. I have mine out, and I think they were welded, will check at lunch.

Edit: No go, mine are riveted. If they just put a spot weld instead of a rivet, I assume it would be pretty simple to drill through.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
from my understanding...I am running stage 2 bfi trans and engine mounts and it was the whole mount with the insert in a brand new piece of metal

BFI will sell just the insert to install yourself or an OEM Mount with their insert installed.

Also, I’m not sure if it’s been released yet, but I also caught a sneak preview of a third option from them

:cool: