GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd engine noises

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
When I cold start my car, I can hear the hydraulic lifters ticking. After the car warms up the noise smooths out. I was told by my VW dealer that is a normal noise. I have yet to ask them the following question because I would more than likely have to bring my car up there, which is pretty far away from me. When I am driving and I get on the throttle semi heavy or heavy, I hear a similar knocking/ticking noise like when I cold start it, higher in the revs under load. Do you all hear the same thing? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
Hopefully all of you will tell me that this is a normal noise and that my engine isn't in the process of self destruction...car has a whooping 1400mi on it.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
When I cold start my car, I can hear the hydraulic lifters ticking. After the car warms up the noise smooths out. I was told by my VW dealer that is a normal noise. I have yet to ask them the following question because I would more than likely have to bring my car up there, which is pretty far away from me. When I am driving and I get on the throttle semi heavy or heavy, I hear a similar knocking/ticking noise like when I cold start it, higher in the revs under load. Do you all hear the same thing? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE
Btw, if I free rev it in neutral i.e. the motor isn't under load, it doesn't make any of the above noises. It only dies when the motor is in boost while spirited driving.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Ticking under load in higher RPM is not normal.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
have you checked your oil ? if its on the low side, you'll hear a little more ticking than norm. at 1400 miles, that's kind of early to be tuning effectively voiding your powertrain warranty. If an engine problem is going to present itself its normally around now. How quickly did you tune? have you been hard on the car and maybe burned a little more oil than normal? this would be your best case scenario..

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
It isn't realy a tick I guess. I just don't know how else to describe the noise. Every car makes the same noise upon cold start up. Just when I get on it it sounds like I can hear the same noise ONLY under load, not free revving in neutral. I will bring it to my tuner and update this thread after I get it sorted out. Thanks for all of the input.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
have you checked your oil ? if its on the low side, you'll hear a little more ticking than norm. at 1400 miles, that's kind of early to be tuning effectively voiding your powertrain warranty. If an engine problem is going to present itself its normally around now. How quickly did you tune? have you been hard on the car and maybe burned a little more oil than normal? this would be your best case scenario..
Oil level is fine, color is good.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I hear a slight ticking noise on start-up, none at high loads under high rpm. If you are high load, low rpm then you are lugging your engine and you will hear a noise.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I believe the start up noise is secondary air injection... Are you sure the noise while on the throttle hard isn't the fake engine sound thing (somebody will chime in with the right name)? Does it only happen in sport mode, or normal mode as well? Not DSG sport, driving profile.

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
I believe the start up noise is secondary air injection... Are you sure the noise while on the throttle hard isn't the fake engine sound thing (somebody will chime in with the right name)? Does it only happen in sport mode, or normal mode as well? Not DSG sport, driving profile.
I am pretty sure you are right. In my custom mode, I turned everything on sport except the engine sound, effectively turning off my soundakor. This eliminated the noise.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Are you sure it's not like a rattle from exhaust heatshield or something of that sort? It's definitely the engine?

I just ask because there's a lot of things that will make noises in this car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
Are you sure it's not like a rattle from exhaust heatshield or something of that sort? It's definitely the engine?

I just ask because there's a lot of things that will make noises in this car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Not exactly sure what eliminated the noise to be honest. I turned off the soundakor via custom drive mode: turning everything on sport, except engine sound. That same day, I installed a downpipe. I haven't heard the noise since.