GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundskins sound-deadening material review

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
bought the Noico from Amazon a year ago. Definitely helped.

I'm having trouble assessing whether or not the aluminum backing might cause vibration/squeaking issues when rubbing against parts of the door card. Is this a concern? I can buy either the aluminum-backed or non-aluminum-backed 80-mil noico for the same price. What is the advantage of the aluminum backing?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I also took the time to put some tessy tape or whatever it's called on my front door window switches since they like to rattle so much:

Since doing this and the Soundskins, it would seem all of my rattles are gone *knocks on wood*

Is this what's causing the super loud rattle in the front passenger side that I can't find the source to???

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I'm having trouble assessing whether or not the aluminum backing might cause vibration/squeaking issues when rubbing against parts of the door card. Is this a concern? I can buy either the aluminum-backed or non-aluminum-backed 80-mil noico for the same price. What is the advantage of the aluminum backing?
doesn't seem to make noise.

idk what the purpose is. maybe it helps rolling it on?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Is this what's causing the super loud rattle in the front passenger side that I can't find the source to???

Very possible! The window switches made lots of noise, but for me, most of the passenger rattle came from the pull handle to adjust the seat height! I noticed because when I would drive by myself, I had an obnoxious rattle. When my wife was in the seat, the rattle would go away.

Then on the driver side it was the driver door pull handle and the window switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Very possible! The window switches made lots of noise, but for me, most of the passenger rattle came from the pull handle to adjust the seat height! I noticed because when I would drive by myself, I had an obnoxious rattle. When my wife was in the seat, the rattle would go away.

Then on the driver side it was the driver door pull handle and the window switches.

How’d you secure the handle and door pull? I’ve been wondering because I think my pulls are rattling.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Yeah this stuff is amazing. If you want some reading check out https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com It's the resource i used on my last car. It makes a huge difference, i only did the two front doors and it made the car much quiet. Also as a bonus gave it a nice "thump" when you shut the doors.

Hugely hugely time consuming to install, i would be scared of the labour rates if i was paying someone to do it. Very rewarding if you have the time, because it's something you notice every time you drive the car. Unless you track the car the added weight doesn't make a difference.

Not sure if i'll bother with the Golf, it's very quiet to begin with. Only thing that is tempting is the roof (it's annoying when it rains).

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

The pull handle might just be the noise... Now that you mention it, I don't notice it with the lady in the car. And the sound is very similar to the one it makes when I let go of the handle after adjusting the seat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The pull handle might just be the noise... Now that you mention it, I don't notice it with the lady in the car. And the sound is very similar to the one it makes when I let go of the handle after adjusting the seat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep! I just put a little tesa tape right where it makes contact... you’ll see exactly where when you look at it

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yep! I just put a little tesa tape right where it makes contact... you’ll see exactly where when you look at it

Unfortunately, this was not it =(. The quest to find the mysterious rattle continues! It realyl sounds like the glovebox so it may be a wiring harness or something rattling behind it

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
My glovebox rattles after I put the hybrid dogbone in. Think it's the latch. Probably just needs a bit of felt tape.

Interesting. I have an 034 insert but its pretty much bent to the point its not doing anything anymore. I've rattled the glovebox by hand to try and simulate the sound to find it but was not able to reproduce it. I'll try the latch though and see if it fixes it because it really sounds like thats where the source is

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Interesting. I have an 034 insert but its pretty much bent to the point its not doing anything anymore. I've rattled the glovebox by hand to try and simulate the sound to find it but was not able to reproduce it. I'll try the latch though and see if it fixes it because it really sounds like thats where the source is

Just place you hand onto the latch and see if it stops.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Just place you hand onto the latch and see if it stops.

I have and it does not, but then again im not pushing hard and I'm worried about crashing haha. I'll have to have my lady investigate next time shes in the car