GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 Engine Problems

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
Real question...is there any common failures among our cars (mk7)? I have been diving through ramdom forum threads for educational sake since I am new to the VW world to learn more about my car. I have yet to come across a thread stating common problems. Hopefully that is a good thing. Anyway if there are any common problems to speak of, please enlighten me.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Real question...is there any common failures among our cars (mk7)? I have been diving through ramdom forum threads for educational sake since I am new to the VW world to learn more about my car. I have yet to come across a thread stating common problems. Hopefully that is a good thing. Anyway if there are any common problems to speak of, please enlighten me.

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

Honestly, no. There really aren't any glaringly common problems on this platform. I'm not sure whether the rear suspension noise has been fixed but the '14 and '15 builds had a lot of rear suspension creaks that replacing the struts under warranty did absolutely nothing for.

In the beginning, turbos popped left and right. certain build date cars had crank walk issues requiring engine replacement. i've heard a few one-offs where people had water pump issues but not a common issue like with the mk6. don't believe i've heard of a failed intake manifold. heard of some stuck injectors, but again not common.

yeah, these cars are pretty solid.

Now, rattles? That's another story.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

2018 GTI SE DSG
APR STAGE 1 ECU/TCU TUNE

Three years into my car on these forums, and I don't see any threads on common problems.
As GolfWang stated, there were some common problems with the MK6 by this time.
I spent four years with my former MK6, and was constantly dreading a water pump failure.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I don't have any Libby's Organic Sweet Corn. Will substituting Green Giant brand corn affect my wtty?