GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pendulum mount install - Ramps or stands?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I had to reinstall my pendulum mount recently (long story) and I had no problem doing it using jack stands. Funnily enough my stage 2 engine mounts meant lining the engine up was actually quite difficult, had to have my friend thread the bolts as I was pushing the engine from underneath with a pry bar.

I also used jack stands back when I installed my bfi dogbone insert as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
So after unbolting and rebolting my dogbone mount insert last night....there was still this metal on metal noise under 2-3k RPM load. Today after work, I went to my buddies shop who has a lift. Come to find out the bolt was in crooked and I had to push the pendulum arm and align it up with the hole! They were missed aligned! Luckily my engine didn't move these past few days driving. I am going to check all my hoses and connectors in the morning! But now guess what.... zero NVH!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Nice! Good experience, and way to admit your mistakes!

Remember, it was the early 2000s, so there was a lot of Fast and Furious happening at that time. I was young, and fell in with a bad crowd.

I implore you to try the Roc Euro arm.

I too am interested in this arm. If it eliminates wheel hop without adding NVH, then surely it's worth the price and the time to install it. Because, let's be honest, if there's one thing that lets the GTI down, it's that horrendous noise and sensation from the wheel hop. The first time it happened, I wasn't expecting it and I swore I'd broken something major in the suspension.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Remember, it was the early 2000s, so there was a lot of Fast and Furious happening at that time. I was young, and fell in with a bad crowd.

I too am interested in this arm. If it eliminates wheel hop without adding NVH, then surely it's worth the price and the time to install it. Because, let's be honest, if there's one thing that lets the GTI down, it's that horrendous noise and sensation from the wheel hop. The first time it happened, I wasn't expecting it and I swore I'd broken something major in the suspension.
Won't eliminate when hop, will reduce and tone it down. You really need a lot to eliminate it completely. Stage 2 motor and trans mounts, stiff insert, lower control arms. At some point you have to compromise if you don't want any added NVH.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
The first time it happened, I wasn't expecting it and I swore I'd broken something major in the suspension.

Same here. Prior to that I just thought it was something annoying people were fine tuning out. Nope!

Won't eliminate when hop, will reduce and tone it down. You really need a lot to eliminate it completely. Stage 2 motor and trans mounts, stiff insert, lower control arms. At some point you have to compromise if you don't want any added NVH.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you’ve developed a good Rx for this Demi. Have you done all these (need to reread thread)? Are people still getting wheel hop past 1st gear? I could see it happening in 2nd with a hot tune, but since I’ve only experienced it from 1st so far, I’m planning to keep it in check with my right foot til I figure out my path to more $ into the money pit.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Same here. Prior to that I just thought it was something annoying people were fine tuning out. Nope!

Sounds like you’ve developed a good Rx for this Demi. Have you done all these (need to reread thread)? Are people still getting wheel hop past 1st gear? I could see it happening in 2nd with a hot tune, but since I’ve only experienced it from 1st so far, I’m planning to keep it in check with my right foot til I figure out my path to more $ into the money pit.

I've got a softer motor mount than most, and no LCAs. I can still get hop in second if my tires and the road are hot or if I air them out some. Otherwise the torque just overpowers traction in second and they clean spin. Wheel hop now is the equivalent of dropping tick tacs on the floor, where it felt like dropping a bowling ball before the mounts.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Haha - great picture. I like Tic Tacs.

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
I’m running stock motor and transmission mounts. With just the 034 insert the car felt tighter but still had serious wheel hop. With the RocEuro arm and the 034 insert wheel hop is very mild, more the tires breaking loose and regaining traction than the front of the car hopping up and down. Huge improvement.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've got a softer motor mount than most, and no LCAs. I can still get hop in second if my tires and the road are hot or if I air them out some. Otherwise the torque just overpowers traction in second and they clean spin. Wheel hop now is the equivalent of dropping tick tacs on the floor, where it felt like dropping a bowling ball before the mounts.

That sounds like an amount of wheel hop I can live with. My last car rarely had wheel hop problems, since Honda cleverly decided to build an engine that produced 200HP and 3 lb-ft of torque. :D