GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST X coilovers MK7.5 GTI (reviews please)

TooManyCars

Other than the ability to adjust height - how do these compare to Bilstein B8 and Eibach spring combo?
They're close to the same price.

E-rok

Passed Driver's Ed
Other than the ability to adjust height - how do these compare to Bilstein B8 and Eibach spring combo?
They're close to the same price.
They arent backordered for eternity for one. I waited a month then I was informed it would be 2 more months so I bailed and went with ST. My guess, the Bilsteins are a little better and the springs are a wash.

ST is cheaper than the Bilsteins by like 200 bucks after rebate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
I've done a BUNCH of these installs & my advice...

If you, or your installer, are pulling the axle bolts...you MUST replace those. (I don't & use the 2x4 method instead)

With the ST's....I'd buy new strut mounts & strut bearings.
That will allow you to assemble the new coilover (front) struts ahead of time.
Then it is simply a matter of pulling the OEM strut assembly out & dropping those in--making life A LOT easier. You won't have to touch/disassemble/cannibalize your OEM struts/springs (therefore leaving them intact), in case you want to go back to stock or you sell the car.
Then just buy new lower strut bolts ($5/pair).

Then reuse your OEM rear upper shock mounts & you'll be golden.

You made a good choice with the ST's too, btw. Just make sure they're installed properly
Good tips, I especially like the idea of keeping the stock front assembly intact.

They arent backordered for eternity for one. I waited a month then I was informed it would be 2 more months so I bailed and went with ST. My guess, the Bilsteins are a little better and the springs are a wash.

ST is cheaper than the Bilsteins by like 200 bucks after rebate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LOL, nailed it! It's always nice to use the search and find a post that couldn't be said any better. It's a bit funny but mostly depressing that "eternity" was 4 months ago.

I have given Bilstein every opportunity to deliver and am done waiting, plan on going with ST X during the next Ebay 15% sale. I'd like to keep them long term so my main concern is durability, any updated reviews on how these are holding up? Salt/rust is no issue in AZ so I'd be more worried about premature leaks or blown dampers. Thanks to everyone who already contributed in this thread.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
Good read. I currently have these sitting ready to install after winter along with wheels. Been on ED springs since new about 45k miles so far but want to go lower with the Rotiform RSE that I’ve bought this summer.

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
I finally gave up on Bilstein and picked up a set of these. Quick question, it looks as though there in no way to "lock" the rear spring height adjustment collar? It says they have to be removed to adjust so I assume they stay in place when under load.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
So some of you guys were buying these for $600? Wish that deal was still available

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Just installed these on my car, figured I'd leave my review here! Great for the price. Rides firm but feels sporty & not stiff. My girlfriend didn't mention anything after she rode in it, though she has more tolerance than some. Instructions are close to useless, had to watch a bunch of youtube videos and do some reading. Install took about a day but if I had to do it again I could probably do it in 4-5 hours. I'm all the way down on the rears (though you could remove the spring perch for another inch or so) and about 5 threads up on the front (they settled more after this pic). I did the fender screw mod but I get a bit of rubbing on the front fender lining, hope it'll self-clear.
carreview.png

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Just put ST X in 2 or 3 weeks ago and I love em so far. The ride is totally compliant for a daily driver but handles much better in the curves than stock. My wife has never said a thing about the ride quality as well for what that is worth. I can't recommend them enough for the money. They may not have the most features for the dollar but that's because the money went into making a solid product with good ride quality/handling and built to last. I went back and forth on stuff like solo-works and BC racing but I am 100% confident in my choice now that I have them installed on my GTI.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Anyone else have a review on these? i Currently have Eibach sportlines on factory shocks and have been looking into replacement shocks, and for a little more money these are enticing

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I had these same coils on my FRS for 5 summers and 5 winters. In my opinion they were FANTASTIC for the dollar. An actual quality set of DD coils for a DD price. Almost stock feel. I lowered 1.5'' for summer and winter on an already low car. Had ZERO complaints. No signs of corrosion over the 5 years either... or degrading in performance. I cant say enough. I paid $1100 CAD and it was worth every penny. -$100 rebate one month later.

My goal though was a DD coilover. Never tracked them. Only spirited mountain drives. But for that they held up. Also I think they come with a 5yr manufacturer warranty... pretty good IMO.

What else? Similar to stock feel but slightly stiffer, and capable of Canada pot holes, winters, salt, bumps, frost heaves, etc (I did avoid those as I could though)... is there anything else I need to say?

I have a 2018 GTI and plan to go straight to ST coils once my wallet allows. (This is my new DD, likely no track days so I don't want to spend 2-3k on fancy coils... I'm not dumb. These will do the job I need and do it well for a fair price.

I say if your budget is 1000ish, there is nothing else you should get.

To OP. If you plan to do autoX or more than 1-3 track days per year you might consider something else. Not saying these won't do it. Just don't know that they are Up for that job. When people buy lowering springs - these are what they should have really bought. And I'll stand behind that with my mortgage.

Hey, I'm considering these (ST-X) and am very curious about how you said they held up to 5 winters since everyone seems to warn about the corrosion, not being stainless. I am in Minnesota and daily drive my car, we usually have 5-6 months of serious winter and road salts are routinely used.

Did you ever end up getting a set for your GTI, and did those hold up to Canada winters, too? The price is right and I'm trying to get some real world encouragement that I won't be replacing them in a year or two from rust 🤣

Also, did you do any sort of preventative maintenance on them? I chatted with an ST rep and they recommended wiping them down and spraying with T-9 Boeshield every 3-5 months, but just curious what your take is. Thanks!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Hey, I'm considering these (ST-X) and am very curious about how you said they held up to 5 winters since everyone seems to warn about the corrosion, not being stainless. I am in Minnesota and daily drive my car, we usually have 5-6 months of serious winter and road salts are routinely used.

Did you ever end up getting a set for your GTI, and did those hold up to Canada winters, too? The price is right and I'm trying to get some real world encouragement that I won't be replacing them in a year or two from rust 🤣

Also, did you do any sort of preventative maintenance on them? I chatted with an ST rep and they recommended wiping them down and spraying with T-9 Boeshield every 3-5 months, but just curious what your take is. Thanks!
They will corrode pretty quickly after seeing winter (with salt).
I wouldn't recommend them if seeing winter duty (if you want them to look nice still).....take them off for winter, IMO (that's what I did).

After a few winters the springs will start to rust (along with the strut/shock bodies) and what not too.....cosmetic issues.

Last edited:

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

Got two winters on mine and no issues. Shockbody doesn't look shiny and new anymore but it's not rusty or heavily corroded or anything either. I just make sure I wash everything thoroughly when the weather warms up. So far so good.