GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tires for me and my GTI

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
If you're not looking to buy tires right now, why are you tire shopping?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Excellent summer tires without spending too much. Since you live in Calgary, you should be running winter tires in winter anyways.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
But if your phone supports WiFi calling, then you don't need the Microcell for the cellular connection any more - AT&T (and iPhone) have supported WiFi calling for years now. Just enable the feature in the settings on your phone and throw that old turd away. And it will work better, I can assure you. Been there, done that.

Sure, will look into it.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Excellent summer tires without spending too much. Since you live in Calgary, you should be running winter tires in winter anyways.

***cough, cough, post 8, cough***

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I'm looking at Bridgestone re71's read and heard a lot of good things about them, I'm just looking to get the rubber to stick to the ground, it don't get cold here, or ever rain and I only average like 10-11k miles a year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
putting on a set of these next week.

they are one of the autocross favorites (main objective) but I'm told they're noisy, harsh and wear faster than most other 200 treadwear tires. I'll either tolerate them everyday or swap back and forth with all seasons between events.

will post some driving impressions week after next.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Well? [emoji41]

They are much better than the OEM Bridgestone all-seasons!
Don't really notice much difference in ride quality or sound.
But the front end definitely feels more planted.
Before, you could feel the front end giving up through corners, now, it just grips.
Still have not really given the tires a good test, but I will.

railroader

Autocross Newbie

they are one of the autocross favorites (main objective) but I'm told they're noisy, harsh and wear faster than most other 200 treadwear tires. I'll either tolerate them everyday or swap back and forth with all seasons between events.

That would be great, don't care about noise or anything I just care about putting my power to the ground and sticking.

greens

Ready to race!
I'm looking at Bridgestone re71's read and heard a lot of good things about them, I'm just looking to get the rubber to stick to the ground, it don't get cold here, or ever rain and I only average like 10-11k miles a year.

I've been through 4 complete sets of them on my Miata and I haven't found a better tire for dry traction, that can also handle rain extremely well, in at least the last five years. Wonderful tire.

As soon as I tear through these crappy factory A/S Bridgestones on my two month old car I will be replacing them with the RE71R.

You will certainly have added tire road noise, especially for the first 1-2k miles they are until broken in a bit, but it's easily worth the tradeoff for the grip they provide.

Vw5002000

Passed Driver's Ed
I just put on Kumho Ecsta PS31 235 40 18s on stock Austins. Wow what a difference from the stock Hankooks. I'm tuned so traction has returned.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

Okay so put these on last Thurs.

re-71r size 205 50r15
previous tire was Federal 595 EVO 195 55r15

nvh wise, definitely louder. Between 20 to 55 mph, noticeable drone. Turn up your radio. Seems to blend in with wind noise above 55mph.

sidewall stiffness did not add much in the way of harshness. it's there, but less than I expected. Tolerable.

sidewalls are indeed stiffer. on the federals, which were stiffer than all seasons, I could grab the GSW roof rail and rock the car a little due to sidewall flex. Now, just just barely.

Yesterday, tried them out at autocross.

Oh yeah! On the first run, it was obvious that car had more grip. No butt dyno here. Closed the margin on my times and other benchmark cars by almost 2 seconds.

My car is set up to rotate but avoid snap oversteer. With the re71s, it was quite easy to cause lift rotation that was easy to control and stabilize. Couple places where I would likely have to brake for smooth exit (with the Federals), I could turn, lift and get on it smoothly and stay right on the cones.

If you hate tire noise, you'll definitely notice the tradeoff...but I really like them so far.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
i recently took off my winter OEM All-Seasons, I think the Bridgestone ones, and put back on my Summer 19" Indy 500s....it's like driving a new car. I have to relearn driving my car through turns, because the turn-in is sharp, and I have so much more grip that I didn't even know I was missing (well except when mashing the accelerator).

I just wonder if I would have had the same effect just going to a OEM size 18" Summer tire, especially in regards to turn-in with the larger sidewall.

4MoJoe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack S
I just put the 18" Nogaro rims and the PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ on my 2018 Golf SE. And the first thing is the noise, the droning, you can hear the tires at any speed, but starting at 70 MPH they really are very noisy and don't quiet a bit until close to 75 MPH. I'm a little surprised as I ran A/S 2 on my BMW and never hear anything like this. I don't know if the tires need to break in a bit or they will quiet down but I cannot live with it if it will always be this noisy. Is this normal or expected? I have ready a lot in the forums of glowing reports for the tire but I think the stock Hankooks were much more quiet than this. I bought them at Costco, am sure I could take them back if need be.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I just put the 18" Nogaro rims and the PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ on my 2018 Golf SE. And the first thing is the noise, the droning, you can hear the tires at any speed, but starting at 70 MPH they really are very noisy and don't quiet a bit until close to 75 MPH. I'm a little surprised as I ran A/S 2 on my BMW and never hear anything like this. I don't know if the tires need to break in a bit or they will quiet down but I cannot live with it if it will always be this noisy. Is this normal or expected? I have ready a lot in the forums of glowing reports for the tire but I think the stock Hankooks were much more quiet than this. I bought them at Costco, am sure I could take them back if need be.

Larger wheels and therefor less sidewall on the tires will generate more road noise as well as make surface inconsistencies more pronounced.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Larger wheels and therefor less sidewall on the tires will generate more road noise as well as make surface inconsistencies more pronounced.

Also, I've noticed that "high performance" A/S tires tend to be noisier than summer tires. Maybe it's the compromised tread design?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Also, I've noticed that "high performance" A/S tires tend to be noisier than summer tires. Maybe it's the compromised tread design?

I think you are correct here. At least the experience I have driving vehicles with all manor of tires seems to adhere to this, the higher performance the more the noise with A/S, although other performance tires can make just as much noise depending on size, tread and manufacturer.