GOLFMKV

Was modding your car worth it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 137012
  • Start date

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Once modded, I don't believe there is a car on the market that could match my car's price to performance ratio. Now what I'm saying only applies to the base golf, and specifically in my cheap trim, but for less than the cost of any new GTI (just around 20k all in), I have an effectively brand new car that handles amazingly, is a damn sight faster than it has any right to be, and so far is dead reliable. I have no plans to ever sell this car, even when I get my next daily driver because even in the state it is now it's clear there is a ton more untapped potential left in it. As mentioned before, I get a bug with hobbies where I refuse to stop until the thing I am tinkering with is perfect. The same thing happened with my computer, and I actually have reached the point where it is all but perfect, which can be seen as either a great future or a dark future depending on if you're looking at it from the perspective of my car or my wallet...

Joel

Ready to race!
Might be he plans on keeping it.
Unless there is a wreck this toy will stay with me gathering slow upgrades.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Just make sure you're committed and love the car before you start modding.

After everything is said and spent it will still drive like a Golf :) I saw huge returns by adding an LSD and summer tires. It enhanced the car I already liked

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
One piece of advice I would give is...

GO STRAIGHT TO STAGE 2. Get a downpipe and go stage 2.

But I feel you haha - I've even been thinking of buying an IS38....

I need to stop soon and start saving up for a house. But just lol @ my generation buying a place around here. 700sqft condos going for 700k...

Yup, I'm in the same boat here in Toronto -- saving my pennies for a house, and spending the rest on car parts :D

I have an AWE track catback. Wheels/tires + springs/shocks are on the way.

It's completely worth it for me. I work really hard, and my car is my therapy

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Very worth it.

Bought a base sportwagen for 18k, with light beige interior (light colors unavailable on a GTI and many other cars).

Better tires, thicker rear sway, koni shocks, camber plates, and a piggyback have transformed it to a sleeper vehicle with performance comparable to or better than a GTI, with extra room and a more comfortable interior in the summer...for less $$ than a GTI...and everything can be parted out and sold to GTI owner (except tires).

Plan to do some modified front LCAs to add more camber adjustability up front and possibly a lightweight AGM battery in the coming months.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Great question, OP. After a few hours into my intercooler swap, I thought it was the depths of hell but strong back-to-back pulls now is like heaven. Can't always say that for OEM. Thank goodness VW left some on the table.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wouldn’t own a Volkswagen product without modding it. With that said I’ve owned 16 of them over the last twelve years so as you can imagine I’ve spent some time and money lol

Plus, as a little side gig I tend to spin a few wrenches for other people. Such a solid platform to build on I love helping people get the most out of their cars

shuxleyct

I just bought a ‘17 R. First Mod was the studded snow tires (the summer tires are back on it now). Second was the console lid that now opens. Bought a skid plate. It’s a daily driver. I liked the Bose sound in my Speed6 better than the Fender, so something may need to happen there. After quite a few performance vehicles, I say it depends on who you think you are. It’s not a cost/benefit thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro