GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 R cheapened in same way as GTI?

takemorepills

Ready to race!
It's got a bigger, more pleasing looking infotainment center, perforated leather with piping on the seats, the digital dash, which I can't see as "cheapening," and all the interior lighting people are complaining about as being no longer illuminated is illuminated in my '18, and I assume in others, too.

Other than the glovebox lock, I'm really not seeing what people are talking about.

I think what "people are talking about" (being me, OP) is totally valid from the perspective of a GTI owner.

We lost all of those niceties.

Seems GolfR didn't lose much, but gained more overall.

Remember, GTI folks don't get the upgraded cluster or 7DSG. And it is confirmed 2018 GTIs lost some backlighting on certain key interior devices. Seems the R didn't have the same cuts (possibly only applied to Mexico made cars)

So, I am getting good info about the 2018 R, my initial concerns are totally addressed.

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
The resolution is actually really good.

As far as cold weather, we had a few below freezing days lately and it performed perfectly.

Maybe I'll take some time this weekend and make a couple videos..

Flawless, went down to -30C here this winter. Non issue.

Slightly annoyed that since I got one of the first ones up here my console is locked but that is about it. Loving the car. Feels like an all-weather F15E Strike Eagle and have rarely felt as confident in any road conditions in any car I have owned (including some SUVs lol).

Junebugz_GTI10

Ready to race!
I think what "people are talking about" (being me, OP) is totally valid from the perspective of a GTI owner.

We lost all of those niceties.

Seems GolfR didn't lose much, but gained more overall.

Remember, GTI folks don't get the upgraded cluster or 7DSG. And it is confirmed 2018 GTIs lost some backlighting on certain key interior devices. Seems the R didn't have the same cuts (possibly only applied to Mexico made cars)

So, I am getting good info about the 2018 R, my initial concerns are totally addressed.

VW is prob trying to make the R worth its inflated price... Seems trivial but GTI is just the better value, VW looking to close the gap in whichever way they can without completely pissing off GTI owners.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
It's got a bigger, more pleasing looking infotainment center, perforated leather with piping on the seats, the digital dash, which I can't see as "cheapening," and all the interior lighting people are complaining about as being no longer illuminated is illuminated in my '18, and I assume in others, too.

Other than the glovebox lock, I'm really not seeing what people are talking about.

Glovebox is lined with flocking, as well.

I've not seen the new models, just speaking in general. It's harder and harder to find cars that combine stuff as well as GTIs or Rs do. You can get really nice interiors, but with so-so to meh performance/driving satisfaction. Or you can get good dynamics and driving fun, with crappy interiors. Getting both sub-$50k is getting harder it seems, especially if you can't go RWD.

L3it3r1

Passed Driver's Ed
Coming from a 2015 Mercedes C400, the Golf R is incredible. The interior is very well built, the features are amazing, and the feeling of the car is miles ahead of the Mercedes. I would trade it again in a heartbeat. Best car I've ever owned.

The Stig2

Ready to race!
This is, sadly, the route I take when parking at my girlfrien'ds in North Philadelphia. I just remove all remotely valuable items from the vehicle, and leave the car unlocked so nobody feels the need to break in.

That’s why I drive a manual transmission car. I can park the thing in the middle of Newark or Harlem unlocked and no-one will steal the car because them thieves wouldn’t know how to drive the thing :D

AJ15

Ready to race!
On any car I’ve owned that had a locking glovebox, I can’t remember ever locking the glovebox.
I've used it to lock my dash cam, radar detector, and misc money/mace/knife, etc. when in areas I was "unsure" of.

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
I remember going to a local dealer last year to look at trading my 2015 SE in for another Autobahn (had a 2015 Autobahn that was totalled before getting the SE to replace it). When I got in the new car I noticed the 12v socket was very cheap looking compared to the '15, I noticed the glove box, it felt like the padding on the armrest was different (thinner maybe, not sure), and that was enough to really spook me off the car because I was worried about what other things they saved money on that I'd notice later if I bought it.

I didn't know about any of the differences between them before I got in that car, but I noticed immediately once I got in. I can understand why people would be worried lol, the FIRST thing I did when I got in the mk7.5 R at the dealer......was check the 12v socket out to see if it was still a cheap one or the nice one I had in my '15 GTi lol.

The little things man, my friends all love how the '15 looks at night, my friend with an ST had no idea what it looked like inside (we've somehow know each other for years and hadn't driven in this car together at night yet lol) and flipped out when he saw it haha. He was pretty damn impressed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dark Violet R

Ready to race!
The resolution is actually really good.

As far as cold weather, we had a few below freezing days lately and it performed perfectly.

Maybe I'll take some time this weekend and make a couple videos..

I can attest to the fact there are no issue with the resolution in cold weather or to function. The screen is really bright at all times.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
This is, sadly, the route I take when parking at my girlfrien'ds in North Philadelphia. I just remove all remotely valuable items from the vehicle, and leave the car unlocked so nobody feels the need to break in.

Welcome to North Philly's "Midnight Auto Parts."

PerfectFusion

I just got an '18 R. The DC port is illuminated, and all of the buttons are back-lit. The glove box is lined, has a light, and has the A/C ventilation.

Other improvements are the new heads/tails, they got rid of the ugly box in the front for the drivers assistance, digital dash, and larger MIB. Mine has the 'locked at port' center console (earlier build), but it only took a few minutes to remove the bolts after watching the online videos.

Last edited:

Wass

Passed Driver's Ed
The driver side bolt on mine was over torqued and partially stripped at the factory. It was a real bitch getting out. Passenger side bolt came right out.