GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First three mods done by a complete noob

McCoyGti

Tonight I've finished the first three mods I've done to my car. Like the title says, I'm a complete noob. If you're wondering to what extent im a noob, this gti is the car I've learned to drive manual on. Technically my friend's girlfriend let me learn the gist of it on her Elantra or something; I took it around the block until she was worried the gears had started to grind too much. Six months later I talk the salesmen into letting me test drive the gti, and everyone hangs on for life while I floor the pedal and launch the car at every chance to make sure I don't stall on the highway. The salesman Coolly guides me down the quickest route back to the dealership.

I'll take her.

My car before this, and first, was an 08' charger se (2.7 l v6) because my mom said I'll kill myself with anything more powerful. It was a you'll shoot ur eye out moment

My experience is an above average understanding of tools and terms, and zero knowledge of car interworkings. I could expertly jump your car or jack and change a tire, and I know, generally, the magic behind how a car operated, but other than that I know nothing and am ill equipped (I had to borrow a screw driver from a guy at Home Depot because I didn't want to have to go to my moms house to get one.)
You guys get it.

Anyways, for some reason I was struggling for a long time to master smooth clutch engagements (I've put 13,000 now on my used '15 from 27,000), and although I'd never say it because it sounds like a cop-out, I think it was mostly the cars fault. I really just couldn't figure out the clutch consistently.

However that's not what brought me to golfmk7, instead I was finally exploring downshifting and heel/toe and really disliked the position of the gas pedal in relation to the brake pedal.
That's what brought me here, but exploring the holy bible and the stocky about how to make ur gti not suck, I stumbled upon the first 3 mods that I have now done to my car.

After a late night expedition of having 30 tabs open of forums, I decided I had educated myself enough and had the means and time to complete the first task

1) clutch stop - the only con I saw was a comment that said "or you could just learn how to drive" but I disagree why not engineer it better if u can? Plus I would take ANY advice that could improve my inconsistent engagements, and it was the easiest DIY. It was 9:10 Home Depot closes at 10 I could quickly hunt for the right pieces and while I was there I ask to borrow a screwdriver and perform the job in the parking lot like the lowly noob that I am. Nothing but my flashlight and a return for more of the right size and a second visit for screws I decided I needed, my only concern was not making the poor old man think I ripped him off a screw driver.

I had to jerry rig the whole thing, not as clean as the forum tutorial went along but I gave her a try and it felt okay. Mission accomplished. I was excited, relatively suprised and please with the result, and feening for more.

2) the second task that seemed most possible for my budget and equipment (and the one I wanted to do most) was the clutch bleeder block valve removal however since I didn't have a bleeder kit or anything I needed my friends help, he agreed to help me tonight. I went to the store and eventually got help from three O'riley auto parts associates who were a lot less knowledgeable than I thought they'd be. However they were nice and overall helpful (just not like super smart hobbiest know it alls that I was hoping for (? Is that normal))

Anyways I got the $7 dot 4 and met my friend at the fateful hour, it was at his place cause his dad had tools on deck. I had all of the steps memorized based on what I've watched and read online. Let me say I definitely hit road bumps, following a tutorial, removing the air intake they never mention removing the front grill piece that's over the front of it. I knew I could do this only because of a different video I happened to watch about installing a different air intake. So I take that off and when I go to remove the intake after removing all of the instructed parts, I get unexpected resistance. There are rubber parts I've never seen or read about before, I had to pry around one with a flat head only to learn I destroyed another one while trying to force it out. Fortunately these were only fasterners and I think the intake is still secure overall. I run into a few more road bumps, struggle to break the diaphragm, blast the bits out with an air compressor, get flouid squirted all over while I'm bleeding the line, I just wing the whole job and assume (reasonably) that that'll do.

This was the only mod I told my friend I'd be doing, lo and behold I see exposed before me an area whose location was formerly unknown to me, but now that I was enlightened I informed my friend, who was ready for bed 'let me do this one other mod real quick, while I have it all open' which leads me to

3) shifter alignment - why didn't I plan to do this one at my friends house? I had watched a video tutorial, linked and suggested by the "make ur gti not suck" thread, however the parts the guy were demonstrating on were entirely removed from the car, and I had no idea where they were located in an actual car. Secondly I was only able to perform the mod because another separate video taught me how to remove the boot from the shifter, exposing the alignment home thread.

I finish all the steps I had memorized, hope to myself I havent shat the bed, reassemble the now destroyed air intake and struggle to put on the front grill frame thing, and ask my friend to join me for a test around the block

I'm pleased to announce shes running fine and the shifting feels much slicker. The clutch, I'll have to feel out more. No mind bending feedbac

OH and that reminds me I almost forgot. #4) clutch assist spring removal

Super easy, some tutorial called for removing screws, but I was able to simply push the clutch in and remove the spring with a screwdriver and some leverage

Anyways this all brings me to the point of this post

My review and experience of attempting mods as a complete noob from these tutorials:

The whole time I was reading tutorials I had wished they were detailed to every detail, so anyone could do it

I want to see exactly every step u do. Because I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Some tutorial forums had no pictures because the links were now expired, the only reason I was able to pull of these mods was because I had watched a ton of videos that all happened to have bits and pieces of information that I could jigsaw into an understanding enough to do the job

However every tutorial fails to stand alone as an adequate tutorial, missing vital information to some degree.

It would have been incredibly helpful if these things were explained and illustrated at a rudimentary step by step level.
But I understand that each thread is a person putting in their own time. I'm not trying to make demands; Im just saying what would have helped me in my experience

The whole car thing can be intimidating. My friend was calling me crazy as I ripped apart my hood, us both being complete amateurs.

I'm glad this worked out, fortunately it took a whole network of car enthusiasts and educators to help me complete these theee (four) first simple mods

And I'm excited for more

My long term goal is a stage 1 or 2 tune with an inter cooler because Florida and an upgraded clutch.

Also seriously is there a way to adjust the pedals???

(I've clicked links and read threads but have found nothing really!! Maybe I'm inadequate)

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Don’t adjust the pedals; adjust the position of your feet.

With the GTI pedal layout, I brake using the rear instep (not quite heel) of my foot while blipping the gas with the side (near pinky toe) of my foot. My foot position when heel toeing looks like this: | /

Snitt

Ready to race!
Good for you! Hopefully this starts a lifelong passion for working on your cars. :)

Sounds like you need to start asking for tools for Christmas/Birthdays. ;)

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Good read. I'm in the same boat. I bought my GTI without ever personally driving it. I worked out the numbers via email and asked my friend to go with me to pick up the car. Learned how to get into 1st in a nearby parking lot for about an hour then learned on my own after asking a couple friends for tips and tricks. 4000 miles later and now it feels weird driving my wife's automatic Audi A3. I'm still far from shifting smoothly and heel toe-ing but I can rev match and downshift but I still for the life of me, cannot shift from 1-2, 2-3. I've removed the clutch assist spring and added the home depot clutch stop (probably needs a couple more washers).

When I ask my friends for feedback, they either tell me to either shift at a higher RPM or give it more gas from 1-2, and 2-3. When I give it more gas it feels like I'm slipping the clutch as I simultaneously release the clutch and depress the gas pedal and when I rev higher I feel like a douche bag just over-revving his car.

I still try every day to get it right but I find that clutching in and shifting at 2k rpm and holding the clutch in until 1.5k rpm then giving it gas while releasing the clutch provides for the smoothest shifts but also find that I'm often times passed up by Prius (no knock on Prius owners. Former Prius owner myself) until I get to 3rd or 4th.

Hoping that this gets better with time cuz I feel like a pretty shitty driver for not being able to learn how to smoothly drive a MT at 4k miles. Good luck to you though!

McCoyGti

Don’t adjust the pedals; adjust the position of your feet.

With the GTI pedal layout, I brake using the rear instep (not quite heel) of my foot while blipping the gas with the side (near pinky toe) of my foot. My foot position when heel toeing looks like this: | /

My feet feel so awkward trying to reach around both pedals. I probably just need more practice

Welcome to your GTI and the Forum.
The hardest part in anything is the first step.
After that, just keep walking and you will reach your destination. Someday.
Modifications are a fast slope.
Enjoy the ride.
I know what all my money is going toward now!!

Good for you! Hopefully this starts a lifelong passion for working on your cars. :)

Sounds like you need to start asking for tools for Christmas/Birthdays. ;)

My dad has all the tools in the world but we're not really talking right now :(

McCoyGti

Good read. I'm in the same boat. I bought my GTI without ever personally driving it. I worked out the numbers via email and asked my friend to go with me to pick up the car. Learned how to get into 1st in a nearby parking lot for about an hour then learned on my own after asking a couple friends for tips and tricks. 4000 miles later and now it feels weird driving my wife's automatic Audi A3. I'm still far from shifting smoothly and heel toe-ing but I can rev match and downshift but I still for the life of me, cannot shift from 1-2, 2-3. I've removed the clutch assist spring and added the home depot clutch stop (probably needs a couple more washers).

When I ask my friends for feedback, they either tell me to either shift at a higher RPM or give it more gas from 1-2, and 2-3. When I give it more gas it feels like I'm slipping the clutch as I simultaneously release the clutch and depress the gas pedal and when I rev higher I feel like a douche bag just over-revving his car.

I still try every day to get it right but I find that clutching in and shifting at 2k rpm and holding the clutch in until 1.5k rpm then giving it gas while releasing the clutch provides for the smoothest shifts but also find that I'm often times passed up by Prius (no knock on Prius owners. Former Prius owner myself) until I get to 3rd or 4th.

Hoping that this gets better with time cuz I feel like a pretty shitty driver for not being able to learn how to smoothly drive a MT at 4k miles. Good luck to you though!

I think I need another washer too.
I would recommend removing the bleeder valve but I just did that mod myself and still am not sure how much of a difference I really feel.

Recently I decided to completely cover my rpm gauge. I think watching the needle gets in my head too much. So I've covered it up and am now trying drive with just the feel of the car on the butt dyno. But I don't know how safe it is to cover your gauge so venture at your own risk.

My heeltoe and downshifting is still super weak I think I tried to heeltoe before I really got the hang of plain old downshifting. So I'm still working on all that.

And same problem, my mom let me test drive her new automatic car and I accidentally threw it into neutral while pulling back into the driveway and smashed the brake thinking it was the clutch.
I also had a rental while my car was in the shop and I had to actively remind my limbs to do nothing