GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MSS Adjustable Street kit-what do you guys think?

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
To get mine even (before I changed rear springs) I had to run the front in to about 6 mm.

6mm gap on front adjusters? Geez. Well, as long as I can get them even. I dont really want to go too low. Just handle better. Thanks for the info!

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Glad you got it all sorted Cptnjosh. I have the same kit, paired with a 25mm Neuspeed rear sway bar, and Superpro endlinks, I love the combo.

Thanks. Yes, i may have to try a larger RSB. Whichever one I get, I will definately get the Superpro endlinks.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
MSS 1500 mile update

So after 1500 miles with new taller front springs I think they have settled as much they are going to. I am very happy with the ride quality. Sharp bumps, and expansion joints are less harsh and more muted than stock springs. Handling is noticeably improved, but not drastically, with considerably less body roll, and dive and squat have been mitigated by 75% ball park figure.

But I had to do quite a bit of adjusting to get it this way. When I first installed the new fronts I had the adjuster set 5mm below the level of the rears which are set to max height. I had massive negative rake and it just felt weird. I left it there, with assurances from Excelerate that they would settle even. After 750miles I had maybe 3/8” of settling on the fronts. Still uneven by a large margin. So I dropped the fronts all the way down, with rears at max height still. Figuring that if the front settles more I can drop the rears down. It was more or less even now with front all the way down and rears at max height. MSS literature indicates the front should be ideally 5mm lower than the rears for proper handling and weight distribution. Needing another 5mm in back, I trimmed up the stock upper spring seats and stacked them in there with the thin MSS rubber seats. So below is how it sits now. Passenger rear is 1/4 higher than front and driver rear is even. I have some anti negative rake spacers from emmanuel designs I might put in there.

Anyway, the kit itself is pretty nice, and handles great. If I had to do it again, I would have just got the standard kit without adjustable fronts. Because as is now, I cant really do any adjusting with the fronts at max drop and rears at max height. Defeats the whole purpose of this kit. Maybe there is a matching taller rear spring that would take care of this imbalance? But then again, I cant say I want to spend more on this setup.

At this point I can’t help but wonder how a $250 set of DG springs and Bilstein B6 would feel? Probably close to the same price as the MSS kit, with the same conservative drop.

Attachments

• 874433F0-275E-4301-BA7E-A0331ACCFB1B.jpeg
    874433F0-275E-4301-BA7E-A0331ACCFB1B.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 434
  • 4FB1DBC9-39E5-4129-BBF4-58A41E909E68.jpeg
    4FB1DBC9-39E5-4129-BBF4-58A41E909E68.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 435

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Hi Josh, we have a taller rear adjuster stem that will allow you go up another 20mm in the rear if you feel like you need a greater range of adjustment.

Shoot me an email if you would like a set of these. This will allow you to pick and choose your ride height more carefully.

Thanks,

Greg

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
At this point I can’t help but wonder how a $250 set of DG springs and Bilstein B6 would feel? Probably close to the same price as the MSS kit, with the same conservative drop.

If I can throw 2 cents in here, I have ED springs which are probably slightly stiffer and slightly lower than DG springs and Bilstein B8 shocks, the sport versions. They ride amazing and might actually be too soft for some people's taste in the corners. I would definitely not consider the B6 HDs with my experience.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I've had their kit for almost a year now. Standard front and adjustable rears. They performed amazing on track (HPDE/TT) Yet still compliant for DD use. I too raised the rear as wanted to account for aero and to avoid rubbing when cornering at high speeds

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
I've had their kit for almost a year now. Standard front and adjustable rears. They performed amazing on track (HPDE/TT) Yet still compliant for DD use. I too raised the rear as wanted to account for aero and to avoid rubbing when cornering at high speeds

Cool! Yes, they do ride very well for being performance oriented. I just does not seem right that my fronts are all the way down and rears are at max height. By raise the rear, do you mean you got the taller rear springs or used some kind of spacer at the spring seat?

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
If I can throw 2 cents in here, I have ED springs which are probably slightly stiffer and slightly lower than DG springs and Bilstein B8 shocks, the sport versions. They ride amazing and might actually be too soft for some people's taste in the corners. I would definitely not consider the B6 HDs with my experience.

Thanks for your input. I may try another spring in the future with b8’s but i will probably wait for the stock shocks to wear out. maybe the h&r oe springs.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Cool! Yes, they do ride very well for being performance oriented. I just does not seem right that my fronts are all the way down and rears are at max height. By raise the rear, do you mean you got the taller rear springs or used some kind of spacer at the spring seat?

Interesting. I read a bit more in the thread and it sounds like you got a super raw deal from a seller who knew they fucked up. Its just me but I would certainly take the issue up with paypal/ebay if it came that far.

Now for me i have standard fronts. I didn't want my front any lower than it already was coming from the vwr springs. My rears now settled down to a very comfortable height and i could go higher OR lower. My rake is such that the rear is a a tad bit higher so, when braking the rear rises to the height of the fronts. During corners it will squat a bit lower on exit. Its pretty close the way I have it set. I didn't use any spacers. Got them from XLR8 as well.

You mentioned you didn't like that your fronts are all the way down. Are you trying to get rid of gap in the front? or are you compensating for comfort due to how the rears are functioning?

I also want to add mine took some time to fullyy settle. Like weeks before i noticed they werent dropping down anymore. I had my rears off alot during that time haha, i didn't understand what they needed was time.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Interesting. I read a bit more in the thread and it sounds like you got a super raw deal from a seller who knew they fucked up. Its just me but I would certainly take the issue up with paypal/ebay if it came that far.

Now for me i have standard fronts. I didn't want my front any lower than it already was coming from the vwr springs. My rears now settled down to a very comfortable height and i could go higher OR lower. My rake is such that the rear is a a tad bit higher so, when braking the rear rises to the height of the fronts. During corners it will squat a bit lower on exit. Its pretty close the way I have it set. I didn't use any spacers. Got them from XLR8 as well.

You mentioned you didn't like that your fronts are all the way down. Are you trying to get rid of gap in the front? or are you compensating for comfort due to how the rears are functioning?

I also want to add mine took some time to fullyy settle. Like weeks before i noticed they werent dropping down anymore. I had my rears off alot during that time haha, i didn't understand what they needed was time.

Yeah, when I first fitted them I tried to be cautious and asked for opinions. I should have just sent them back when I saw the unusual wear. After I had them on, I was hooked. But the fronts were too short/soft and were bottoming out. I got taller front springs from Excelerate. But they were so tall, I had to drop the adjusters all the way down to be even with the rears. The rears seem to be functioning normally but hard to tell, since I have not tried others.

Your right, the fronts may settle more still. We will see.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Yeah, when I first fitted them I tried to be cautious and asked for opinions. I should have just sent them back when I saw the unusual wear. After I had them on, I was hooked. But the fronts were too short/soft and were bottoming out. I got taller front springs from Excelerate. But they were so tall, I had to drop the adjusters all the way down to be even with the rears. The rears seem to be functioning normally but hard to tell, since I have not tried others.

Your right, the fronts may settle more still. We will see.

I just realized something and i may be super wrong, but will golf R springs fit a Gti? Maybe that's why there bottoming out?

Either way give the front some time. I had a monster truck gap at first and mine AREN'T adjustable. So yea you might have a bit of a gap for awhile which is ok. These are performance springs not look how "low" I am springs. Thats more for any random reader than you btw OP. You've done what 300 or so miles on the new fronts or 2 tanks of gas? Time will certainly help especially since you are already in this thang deep.

I believe in you, wait it out and then go ride in someone elses car that has VWR etc. The biggest thing for me was under braking how little dive i get from the front now. Car stays mostly level.

Good luck, we are rooting for ya!

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Thanks man!

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
The front should still settle, it definitely took my Sportwagen a little over 2,000 miles to settle in completely. I daily/highway drive and back road corner thrash when I have time... so mine took the full course at minimum.

I would still give it time. The new rear stems will help you achieve what you're after. I would set the front to 10mm of thread gap and match the rear once everything is completely settled. The front might need to come up at some point. Im running 5mm thread gap in front and 45-50mm thread gap in the rear on my wagon (overkill on a GTi/R...)

It sits perfectly.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
The front should still settle, it definitely took my Sportwagen a little over 2,000 miles to settle in completely. I daily/highway drive and back road corner thrash when I have time... so mine took the full course at minimum.

I would still give it time. The new rear stems will help you achieve what you're after. I would set the front to 10mm of thread gap and match the rear once everything is completely settled. The front might need to come up at some point. Im running 5mm thread gap in front and 45-50mm thread gap in the rear on my wagon (overkill on a GTi/R...)

It sits perfectly.

Thanks Greg! Once again Excelerate has really gone the extra mile to take care of me. They have new longer stems for the rear adjusters on the way to me. That will allow me to make adjustments as necessary to match my fronts if I raise them a bit. Problem solved! Great customer service Excelerate!

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Thank you, Josh. We try to do what we can to support everyone with what we have at our disposal. We want you to be happy with the product even if you weren't the original purchaser we still feel like this is our duty.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say in the end. I think you will be quite satisfied. :)