GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hambone's 2016 MS GTI SE-PP

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
The computer absolutely does NOT need to be dedicated to UniConnect+ or programming, but it's ALWAYS recommended to use extreme caution when installing third-party applications.

I wanted to also emphasize that at no point did John say this was a requirement. My statement of a dedicated computer is entirely from my own perspective based on what I experienced, and knowing what I do about computers. The PC we used (my desktop) is loaded to the gills with games, software, etc and it flawlessly did exactly what John and I needed it to do to help recover the DSG. :)

Utah Marv

GREAT documentation thread! I was sweating a bit just reading your dilemma. It is unfortunately unusual but so great to hear of the superb after sale customer service from a vendor. Kudos to Unitronic. It certainly makes me lean more that way if I pull the trigger on tuning. I also want to comment on how great it is to read well written and spelled comments. That is far too rare these days!

Now we want to really hear an in depth review of the driving experience please?! I am especially interested in the TCU changes. Does the tune change the driver display so you can see what gear you are in when using D and S in addition to Manual? I put on a LOT of highway miles right now, so very interested in fuel economy as well.

Thanks again for your great thread!

Marv :D

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
GREAT documentation thread! I was sweating a bit just reading your dilemma. It is unfortunately unusual but so great to hear of the superb after sale customer service from a vendor. Kudos to Unitronic. It certainly makes me lean more that way if I pull the trigger on tuning. I also want to comment on how great it is to read well written and spelled comments. That is far too rare these days!

Now we want to really hear an in depth review of the driving experience please?! I am especially interested in the TCU changes. Does the tune change the driver display so you can see what gear you are in when using D and S in addition to Manual? I put on a LOT of highway miles right now, so very interested in fuel economy as well.

Thanks again for your great thread!

If you set the car at 70-75 mph in cruise control, you will get 1-2 mpg higher on the highway with an ECU tune.

Utah Marv

If you set the car at 70-75 mph in cruise control, you will get 1-2 mpg higher on the highway with an ECU tune.

Thanks! That is certainly better than getting lower mileage. Here in Utah on the Interstate our limit is 80, so I set my cruise on 84 mph. The State Troopers in the median don't even look up when I go by. Most set their radar at 6 mph over, so we get to really cruise along! Not optimum for mileage, but great for making time. I have just under 5k miles now and getting an indicated 33ish mpg at those speeds. Hand figured it is really about 31.5-32 mpg. Also note that much of that driving is between 5k and 6600 feet above sea level, so I am super happy with the new car's mileage. The very best my completely stock Mk 5 got was 28 and usually closer to 26, so I am thrilled over all.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. I would LOVE to do the Uni ECU and TCU tunes, so will be watching!

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE

So, here it is. My official review of my Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU tune and Stage 1 DSG tune. I've taken a few days to placate the stress and sour aftertaste of my initial experience with the Uniconnect+ system, but after having my ride saved by their outstanding Customer Support, and discovering the culprit of my issues was most likely on my end, I feel I can give an accurate recount of the transformation my car has undergone now that I've had a chance to take her out on the road and open her up a bit.

Stage 1+ ECU Tune

I'll be honest in that I wasn't quite sure what to expect when it came to the power difference. The numbers seem misleading, almost impossible: 220 HP to 310 HP and 258 LB-FT to 347 LB-FT equates to a 30% increase in power. Thirty. Percent. That is a huge, amazing leap in capability just from software, and I had my reservations as I approach an empty onramp leading onto I-95 early Thursday morning. I didn't hesitate laying into the throttle.

The power doesn't hit you all at once as it isn't really centered on any one spot throughout the powerband. Instead, there is simply more power everywhere. From the lower gears and low RPM all the way up to 6th, the car just pulls so smoothly and strongly that it is very easy to slip right past your intended speed by about 20-30 MPH. It doesn't feel like the GTI has been pushed beyond its limits, this tune feels like the GTI has been made into what it should have been from the factory. That is the best way I can describe it. The car just wants to go the second you press the pedal. Its like a big dog pulling stubbornly and steadily on the leash. If I could pick one word to describe the tune, it would be mature. The car is faster in every sense of the word, but doesn't lose it's sense of refinement nor does it gain a 'boy racer' feel.

Driving normal doesn't change, save your MPG. During tame commutes or long roadtrips the GTI remains compliant and calm whether I'm minding the pedal or the CC is doing it for me. Driving spirited, on the other hand, becomes a whole new experience. Passing is a thoughtless and trivial process now, even in D. I've already had a few mall crawlers and soccer moms try to cut me off when they feel like doing 10 below in the middle lane, and I want to pass them. I'm already a bus ahead by the time they hit their blinker. Every gear is stronger and more capable, and the engine roars (as much as a L4 can) with purpose. I gave a Mustang GT a surprise when he had to actually put more work in than expected to pass me, and I'm pretty sure I heard the jaw drop on a Focus ST I pal around with at a specific onramp every once in a while when I vanished around the first bend before he was even in 4th.

The tune was exactly what I wanted it to be: a significant, noticable power increase that did not change the formula of what makes this little car great.

Stage 1 DSG Tune

With all that power, though, the REAL winner of this combination is the DSG tune. I am not sure where to begin, simply because the tune makes it feel like you're driving a brand-new vehicle that you have to re-learn (in good ways).

So the DSG does a bunch of wizardry in regards to rev limiters, clamp pressure, and torque-mojo. But the biggest changes revolve around three areas: Drive, Sport, and Manual.

Drive with a stock DSG is a racing machine ... a racing machine dedicated to getting to 6th gear as fast as possible. MPG. Noise reduction. Whatever their reasoning, VW decided to program the logic to get to race to the end of the gears as swiftly as possible. It is anemic; lethargic. Trying to pass in D is like trying to pass on dessert -- its just not going to happen.

With the new Drive mode, however, it changes much of the shifting points and logic to shift at somewhat higher RPMs, giving you the chance to use the power in your engine to get up to speed, and once you let off the gas a bit then it begins to work it's way into 6th for the anticipated commute. Don't be fooled, though, if you need to WOT then Drive will give you the ability to go. It blends the best of both stock Drive and Sport together to make something that is every-day commuter friendly, and also totally capable of tapping into the 300+ ponies under the hood.

Sport Mode, however, gets the biggest makeover. Gone is that racer-boy jerky downshift garbage. Gone is holding onto 2nd through 4th gear like they were possessed by evil spirits. Sport Mode takes the new Drive Mode and makes it hold onto the gears a bit longer, and shift a bit later, to draw out as much of the peak HP and Torque as that engine can give. Sport is, believe it or not, commuteable as letting off the throttle after hard acceleration will signal the DSG to upshift after a second or so. Drive normal, and Sport eventually migrates to a more MPG-friendly gear. Lay into it, though, and it quickly reminds you why its called "Sport Mode."

Manual even gets some love. Gear changing is much, much quicker and the noticable delay between pressing the paddle and getting a gear change is nearly gone. I honestly don't see myself using manual as much as I used to, though: Sport Mode has taken it's place because the shift points are THAT good. I still use the paddles to downshift and engine brake, when appropriate.

I can't speak to launches, as I haven't done one yet, and probably won't. I don't see the need to.

Oh, and the DSG is no longer confused when you brake gradually while slowing to a stop, then have to get on the gas because the light turned green. I am SO happy that is gone! The DSG now feels like a proper DCT. Its not perfect, but it is decades ahead of you when it comes to figuring out what gear you'll want to be in next based on how you're driving.

Was it worth the $1300 and the two days of downtime due to me being literally in the 1% of customers who had problems requiring it?

ABSO-****ING-LUTELY.

Oh, and Utah? Here is my pre-tune and post-tune MPGs. Keep in mind its based on about ~30 miles of commuting one-way, with about 65% Highway and 35% City Driving. Numbers in Drive mode are from me doing the speed limit on all roads, and no aggressive acceleration. Sport numbers indicate me flowing with traffic which is about 10 MPH above the limit on highway, and about 5 MPG above the limit in city driving. I also am much more aggressive on the throttle in Sport mode.

Pre Tune:
Drive: 32-34 MPG
Sport: 25-27 MPG

Post Tune:
Drive: 34-36 MPG
Sport: 30-32 MPG

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Nice to see your a happy costumer now and all troubles are behind

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Summer Update

So I've been away from the forums and from doing anything further to my car since March. The main reason was I ran into some medical problems that took all the cash I would've had for my car, and instead went towards paying medical bills. Right now I'm good health-wise, just life throwing me a curve ball and preventing me from doing some of the things I'm wanting to do to my car.

That being said, I just got back from an 800 mile roadtrip from Georgia on the Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU tune; so far I'm about 7000 miles into the tune with zero issues, problems, or complaints. I've been running OBDII scans roughly every two weeks to check for any reported faults or problems, and each and every time my ECU reports back that my engine (at least, as much as it's sensors can read), is happy and healthy. It did great on gas too, with my average speed of about 75MPH I was still raking in about 36 MPG. Needless to say to pass the six hour one-way trip to my destination I got into some 'spirited' driving when the roads were clear. ;)

Before I left I went ahead and changed my oil; I plan on doing this every 5K now that I am tuned. I got the Liquimoly kit from DAP; great price, and it was easy to do for that extra peace of mind. I'll never use anything other than a high-quality VW-approved 5W-40 oil again!

Don't talk to me or my son ever again.

http://i.imgur.com/PPDbrbY.jpg

Waiting for the oil to drain. Wait, what's that in my driveway behind my MK7?

http://i.imgur.com/Swvx6QV.jpg

I have a new addition to my vehicle lineup. I've come into possession (through my family at no upfront cost to me) of an unwanted 1999 Ford F-150 Triton V8 pickup with only 65K miles on it. While its just me, having a second vehicle (and a truck no less) opens up a lot of convenience, especially when it comes to working in my yard and on the house. I spent a lot of time cleaning it up and doing a lot of minor maintenance on it to get it back into good working order. Its great for errands and hauling stuff, and will most certainly be nice to fall back on in case anything ever happens to my GTI.

Not much else is going on. Working on squaring away myself financially. It probably won't be until 2018 when I can get back to work on the car. I still want to do a suspension drop, and I'm looking into trying to find an affordable cat-back exhaust to try and deepen my note a bit without adding drone, or being obnoxious to my neighbors. Otherwise I still love every minute I spend in my car!

So, here it is. My official review of my Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU tune and Stage 1 DSG tune. I've taken a few days to placate the stress and sour aftertaste of my initial experience with the Uniconnect+ system, but after having my ride saved by their outstanding Customer Support, and discovering the culprit of my issues was most likely on my end, I feel I can give an accurate recount of the transformation my car has undergone now that I've had a chance to take her out on the road and open her up a bit.

Stage 1+ ECU Tune

I'll be honest in that I wasn't quite sure what to expect when it came to the power difference. The numbers seem misleading, almost impossible: 220 HP to 310 HP and 258 LB-FT to 347 LB-FT equates to a 30% increase in power. Thirty. Percent. That is a huge, amazing leap in capability just from software, and I had my reservations as I approach an empty onramp leading onto I-95 early Thursday morning. I didn't hesitate laying into the throttle.

The power doesn't hit you all at once as it isn't really centered on any one spot throughout the powerband. Instead, there is simply more power everywhere. From the lower gears and low RPM all the way up to 6th, the car just pulls so smoothly and strongly that it is very easy to slip right past your intended speed by about 20-30 MPH. It doesn't feel like the GTI has been pushed beyond its limits, this tune feels like the GTI has been made into what it should have been from the factory. That is the best way I can describe it. The car just wants to go the second you press the pedal. Its like a big dog pulling stubbornly and steadily on the leash. If I could pick one word to describe the tune, it would be mature. The car is faster in every sense of the word, but doesn't lose it's sense of refinement nor does it gain a 'boy racer' feel.

Driving normal doesn't change, save your MPG. During tame commutes or long roadtrips the GTI remains compliant and calm whether I'm minding the pedal or the CC is doing it for me. Driving spirited, on the other hand, becomes a whole new experience. Passing is a thoughtless and trivial process now, even in D. I've already had a few mall crawlers and soccer moms try to cut me off when they feel like doing 10 below in the middle lane, and I want to pass them. I'm already a bus ahead by the time they hit their blinker. Every gear is stronger and more capable, and the engine roars (as much as a L4 can) with purpose. I gave a Mustang GT a surprise when he had to actually put more work in than expected to pass me, and I'm pretty sure I heard the jaw drop on a Focus ST I pal around with at a specific onramp every once in a while when I vanished around the first bend before he was even in 4th.

The tune was exactly what I wanted it to be: a significant, noticable power increase that did not change the formula of what makes this little car great.

Stage 1 DSG Tune

With all that power, though, the REAL winner of this combination is the DSG tune. I am not sure where to begin, simply because the tune makes it feel like you're driving a brand-new vehicle that you have to re-learn (in good ways).

So the DSG does a bunch of wizardry in regards to rev limiters, clamp pressure, and torque-mojo. But the biggest changes revolve around three areas: Drive, Sport, and Manual.

Drive with a stock DSG is a racing machine ... a racing machine dedicated to getting to 6th gear as fast as possible. MPG. Noise reduction. Whatever their reasoning, VW decided to program the logic to get to race to the end of the gears as swiftly as possible. It is anemic; lethargic. Trying to pass in D is like trying to pass on dessert -- its just not going to happen.

With the new Drive mode, however, it changes much of the shifting points and logic to shift at somewhat higher RPMs, giving you the chance to use the power in your engine to get up to speed, and once you let off the gas a bit then it begins to work it's way into 6th for the anticipated commute. Don't be fooled, though, if you need to WOT then Drive will give you the ability to go. It blends the best of both stock Drive and Sport together to make something that is every-day commuter friendly, and also totally capable of tapping into the 300+ ponies under the hood.

Sport Mode, however, gets the biggest makeover. Gone is that racer-boy jerky downshift garbage. Gone is holding onto 2nd through 4th gear like they were possessed by evil spirits. Sport Mode takes the new Drive Mode and makes it hold onto the gears a bit longer, and shift a bit later, to draw out as much of the peak HP and Torque as that engine can give. Sport is, believe it or not, commuteable as letting off the throttle after hard acceleration will signal the DSG to upshift after a second or so. Drive normal, and Sport eventually migrates to a more MPG-friendly gear. Lay into it, though, and it quickly reminds you why its called "Sport Mode."

Manual even gets some love. Gear changing is much, much quicker and the noticable delay between pressing the paddle and getting a gear change is nearly gone. I honestly don't see myself using manual as much as I used to, though: Sport Mode has taken it's place because the shift points are THAT good. I still use the paddles to downshift and engine brake, when appropriate.

I can't speak to launches, as I haven't done one yet, and probably won't. I don't see the need to.

Oh, and the DSG is no longer confused when you brake gradually while slowing to a stop, then have to get on the gas because the light turned green. I am SO happy that is gone! The DSG now feels like a proper DCT. Its not perfect, but it is decades ahead of you when it comes to figuring out what gear you'll want to be in next based on how you're driving.

Was it worth the $1300 and the two days of downtime due to me being literally in the 1% of customers who had problems requiring it?

ABSO-****ING-LUTELY.

Oh, and Utah? Here is my pre-tune and post-tune MPGs. Keep in mind its based on about ~30 miles of commuting one-way, with about 65% Highway and 35% City Driving. Numbers in Drive mode are from me doing the speed limit on all roads, and no aggressive acceleration. Sport numbers indicate me flowing with traffic which is about 10 MPH above the limit on highway, and about 5 MPG above the limit in city driving. I also am much more aggressive on the throttle in Sport mode.

Pre Tune:
Drive: 32-34 MPG
Sport: 25-27 MPG

Post Tune:
Drive: 34-36 MPG
Sport: 30-32 MPG
Nice write up and I really like the thread. I've had my GTI since February and am trying to get the mileage up to at least 15k before tuning...just minor mods till then. After doing some reading I've been between the APR or Unitronic ecu/dsg combo. Being that I like the DIY path I've gravitated more to the Unitronic tune. Any plan on going up to stage 2?

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Nice write up and I really like the thread. I've had my GTI since February and am trying to get the mileage up to at least 15k before tuning...just minor mods till then. After doing some reading I've been between the APR or Unitronic ecu/dsg combo. Being that I like the DIY path I've gravitated more to the Unitronic tune. Any plan on going up to stage 2?

Sorry for the delay in response! I have no desire to go to Stage 2 on my daily. It has nothing to do with the reliability of the vehicle, but everything to do with how much car I feel I can handle. Right now with Stage 1+ the car is fast and powerful enough to scare me (in the good way) and I think that is an appropriate line for my level of driving skill. Any more power in my opinion would be utterly wasted, since I don't track.

As far as APR vs Unitronic, I'm obviously biased. Go Unitronic. It may not have the spiky peak torque that APR has down low, but it makes up for it in the smoother power delivery throughout the band.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Cooler weather is finally here!

Florida has finally started to cool off a bit. I was really getting tired of the heat and needed a little bit of a break. Hopefully things will remain mild until next year! 2017 has been a real winner, though, with my second Hurricane experienced since moving here. I can't believe we're in November and its so close to Christmas!

This weekend I took the car in for 30,000 service. A week before I was faced with the admittingly anxious prospect of flashing my Unitronic tune back to stock. Those who've read my car journal will recall the very unpleasant situation I endured back in March. Fortunately, and much to my relief, using a real computer and not my laptop made everything go smooth. The transition from tuned to stock, and then back to tuned again was painless and quick.

I've been paying off bills and whatnot, so I haven't had the spare funds I'd like to continue to modify my car. However over the past four months I saved up enough money to get something I had been on the fence about, and I am REALLY glad I pulled the trigger. I went ahead and got rid of my muffler after listening to dozens of sound samples and reading at least three separate threads about the pros and cons. It was exactly the difference in sound I wanted: not too loud, but louder than stock, and fortunately for me there is very little drone. Cruising at speed is just slightly louder than stock and the exhaust is barely noticeable. When I lay on the throttle, however, it is much louder! That and those lovely DSG farts have a nice pop and gurgle to them. The shop that did it did an excellent, high-quality job and after labor, tax, and tips it wasn't even $230!

I'm hoping this Christmas to get my VWR springs and my new tires. Lowering the car about 1.5" will really give it the look I'm going for. I'm still loving the hell our of my GTI and Stage 1+ just makes it even better.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
2018 is bringing about new opportunities and new change. Fortunately I was a good boy last year, so Christmas at the folk's place yielded some much-desired goodies for my GTI: VWR Springs, ECS Spacer Kit, and a set of Indy Firehawk 500's!

https://i.imgur.com/a8QIIeh.jpg

This was the prep work for installing my VWR springs. Using a very handy guide here on golfmk7.com, I was able to get the install done in about 8 hours. Keep in mind this is the most mechanically-intensive thing I've done on a car, and even though I have experience working on munitions-hauling trailers, I wanted to go slow and step-by-step to avoid making a mistake. Long story short: the installation went great, with the exception of some suspension noise in the rear of the car. A few takeaways to those interested in doing a spring swap:

1. Get yourself a knuckle spreader tool. A GOOD one. I ordered one off of Amazon made by Schwaben, and trust me: it will remove hours of frustration for you. Its worth the $30. Every penny.

2. Take your time. Don't rush. Do your research beforehand on what tools you'll need. If you have access to a lift, it makes a lot of this installation easier. If you have to use jacks, I highly recommend an impact wrench to complete those +180 turns on the torque bolts, since you won't have a lot of space or leverage with your torque wrench with the vehicle sitting low.

3. When doing the rear suspension, use a jack to help the LCA line up with the sway bar endlinks, strut, and rotor mounts. Once your bolts are through, apply a load using the jack and compress until the LCA is just about even with the floor, then torque your bolts down. This will help deter any rear noise once you lower the LCA's after the bolts have been torqued.

Here's a few more photos of the work being done. I used the 2x4 method. It worked amazingly well, especially when I reused the old steering knuckle bolt to attach it to the strut. At no point was I concerned for safety, it felt very sturdy so long as you ensure the jack is stationary.

I'll be getting some photos up this next weekend of the car once I've got the LCA bolts re-torqued and get the car washed. I've also got an ECS Spacer kit that is going to go in, but that won't be until mid February after the car has settled and I've had an alignment done and the tires put on.

https://i.imgur.com/FRlx8iD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lOSsaNP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cll8oU8.jpg

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Misfires :(

So just an update, I'm coming around the 35k mile mark, and have been tuned Uni Stage 1 for about 15k. There's been some talk about spark plugs and cylinder misfires the past couple of months so I decided to go ahead and throw down on some new sparkplugs in addition to doing my 5K oil change.

The reason is I've noticed my engine has been idling a bit roughly the past month and I know someone recently checked their plugs at 30k and they were nasty. On my way home today I downshifted and accelerated to pass someone and the car had a sudden loss of power before resuming normal. There was no strange noises, nothing else abnormal, so I am pretty sure it pulled timing. I went ahead and plugged up my OBD11 and ran a diagnostic before parking in the garage.

Cylinders 2 and 3 have reported intermittent misfires. No other codes thrown; no CEL or warning lights ever appeared on the car. I'm not overly concerned as I haven't noticed any other strange behavior from the vehicle, but feel free to weigh in. I do not thrash my car too much, don't track, do 5K oil changes, etc. Basically do regular maintenance religiously. I'll be taking my truck into work tomorrow and will be pulling the plugs Saturday to have a look. Hopefully its just fouled plugs and/or a coil instead of something more serious.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So just an update, I'm coming around the 35k mile mark, and have been tuned Uni Stage 1 for about 15k. There's been some talk about spark plugs and cylinder misfires the past couple of months so I decided to go ahead and throw down on some new sparkplugs in addition to doing my 5K oil change.

The reason is I've noticed my engine has been idling a bit roughly the past month and I know someone recently checked their plugs at 30k and they were nasty. On my way home today I downshifted and accelerated to pass someone and the car had a sudden loss of power before resuming normal. There was no strange noises, nothing else abnormal, so I am pretty sure it pulled timing. I went ahead and plugged up my OBD11 and ran a diagnostic before parking in the garage.

Cylinders 2 and 3 have reported intermittent misfires. No other codes thrown; no CEL or warning lights ever appeared on the car. I'm not overly concerned as I haven't noticed any other strange behavior from the vehicle, but feel free to weigh in. I do not thrash my car too much, don't track, do 5K oil changes, etc. Basically do regular maintenance religiously. I'll be taking my truck into work tomorrow and will be pulling the plugs Saturday to have a look. Hopefully its just fouled plugs and/or a coil instead of something more serious.

If it was a coil it'd throw a CEL. It's almost certainly the plugs. My car needs new plugs @ 43K miles and it's bone stock.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
If it was a coil it'd throw a CEL. It's almost certainly the plugs. My car needs new plugs @ 43K miles and it's bone stock.

That's what I'm hoping is the case. I'm getting NGK iridium plugs that are one temp lower. Will update on Saturday after I get them installed.