GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

7.5 Active Info Display Retrofit?

avim28

Has anyone in the UK had a stab at upgrading the stock dials in their golf to the 7.5 active info display? I believe it has been done before and would be interested to know if this has been tried by anyone on here? Seems pretty difficult to get hold of the part in the UK too.

Part number: 5G1920791

Some links i found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI2iVPHS9ls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSENLW9ftkw

Rosstech Thread: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?11189-Retrofitting-Active-Info-Display-in-Golf-7

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Looks good but a lot of fafing about

And probably a significant cost too, that you wouldn’t ever recoup when the time comes to sell the car.

avim28

Couldn't agree more.. it's just good to know the option is there and can be done should the parts ever be at reasonable price.

paul83

I have to say that I’m not that impressed by the digital display. I test drive a Gtd and found it a bit flat and one dimensional. Maybe I’m old fashioned I like the different sportier dials that the gti and gtd, etc offer. Maybe the next generation will be better?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I have to say that I’m not that impressed by the digital display. I test drive a Gtd and found it a bit flat and one dimensional. Maybe I’m old fashioned I like the different sportier dials that the gti and gtd, etc offer. Maybe the next generation will be better?

The version available in the new Polo is a newer (next generation) version to the one in the mk7.5 Golf and IMO, it does look sharper. It’s standard in the top spec GTI+ model and a cost option in all other models, other than the base S model.

DanDuda48

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI & GTD
It all depends on how much you pay for getting the Active Info Display... If you are willing to pay £700-850, you can have it. See for yourself if it is worth it.

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
Aid and touch scren

Mate sod he negative I'm a vw tech and 95% through doing this if you start with the infortainment screen upgrade that will get you juices flowing it's chalk and cheese. I'm running mine have a couple of tweets to sort but fully fitted and Fk-ing loving it.
Can supply you brand new screen if needed
Trims need to be changed but that's not proven to bad

Yes I could have changed car but with my spec and rarity I was looking at £9k my car has only one 22k miles so not interested

2016 dsg gtd 5 dr lthr 19"
Rs 8 pot calipers 365mm wavy discs
R callipers rs 365 wavy discs
Mapped 225bhp
Aid
Later touch screen glass.
Semi dynamic lights ( just arrived fluid lights need to build looms and code)

Has anyone in the UK had a stab at upgrading the stock dials in their golf to the 7.5 active info display? I believe it has been done before and would be interested to know if this has been tried by anyone on here? Seems pretty difficult to get hold of the part in the UK too.

Part number: 5G1920791

Some links i found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI2iVPHS9ls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSENLW9ftkw

Rosstech Thread: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?11189-Retrofitting-Active-Info-Display-in-Golf-7

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Mate sod he negative I'm a vw tech and 95% through doing this if you start with the infortainment screen upgrade that will get you juices flowing it's chalk and cheese. I'm running mine have a couple of tweets to sort but fully fitted and Fk-ing loving it.
Can supply you brand new screen if needed
Trims need to be changed but that's not proven to bad

Yes I could have changed car but with my spec and rarity I was looking at £9k my car has only one 22k miles so not interested

2016 dsg gtd 5 dr lthr 19"
Rs 8 pot calipers 365mm wavy discs
R callipers rs 365 wavy discs
Mapped 225bhp
Aid
Later touch screen glass.
Semi dynamic lights ( just arrived fluid lights need to build looms and code)

Where did you get the trim and display? Direct from VW? What's the cost on them these days?

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
Aid

Sourced an aid from breakers 1 yr newer than mine almost identical spec. These sell fast you can use a Tiguan one but it's a lot more coding esp fuel gauge as it has saddle tank, golf aid at moment £500-1100 not bad as ew 2k sourced piano black trims from abroad U.K. Double the price, all trims bar radios and horse shoe around gear lever £100 delivered next day!! New radio trim from work £105.
I've changed the 6" screen for later glass type I can get new screens competitively priced.
Couple of guys at work want me to do theirs now.
This has been running good for few weeks so yesterday I
Changed the 5f to get later features boost, power etc worked well left car for few hours and navy and mirror link have crashed so off to work today to see what's wrong there hopefully I forgot to inable someting correctly!!

QUOTE=IWMTom;635438]Where did you get the trim and display? Direct from VW? What's the cost on them these days?[/QUOTE]

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Not a fan of the AID...but the MIBII with the bigger screen, I'd love that..& having VCDS & stripping the car down is not so much a problem....its the component protection & getting the unit 100% working as there are a few "partially cracked" retrofits which have been done..

MIB1 with basic sat nav it still is ....

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
Aid

I wasn't a fan either but still great has so much more info on it really amazing. The screen is million times better I can tell you how to sort screen easily but the app short cut button might not work. Rest should/will. Do you have basic nav i.e. Button for nav top right then traffic ect. I would say you need to strip down just take off a couple of trims ect.

QUOTE=golfdave;635650]Not a fan of the AID...but the MIBII with the bigger screen, I'd love that..& having VCDS & stripping the car down is not so much a problem....its the component protection & getting the unit 100% working as there are a few "partially cracked" retrofits which have been done..

MIB1 with basic sat nav it still is ....[/QUOTE]

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I wasn't a fan either but still great has so much more info on it really amazing. The screen is million times better I can tell you how to sort screen easily but the app short cut button might not work. Rest should/will. Do you have basic nav i.e. Button for nav top right then traffic ect. I would say you need to strip down just take off a couple of trims ect.

I have sept 2014 build 2015 car, MIB version 1 sat nav not the "pro" so not the bigger screen with harddrive.

I also have Dynaudio, rear view camera, colour MFD, dual climate, heated front screen, folding mirrors, etc etc..

A MIBI to MIBII swap requires bigger screen & new main unit..apparently I will also require a newer dynaudio amp as there is a difference between the amps (yes under the pass seat) from Version 1 to version 2...or you have to alter the existing VER1 amp to work with MIBII head unit...

Id be looking at over £1K...even second hand...:(....& then all the CP...

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
Ramble

Pm sent.

I have sept 2014 build 2015 car, MIB version 1 sat nav not the "pro" so not the bigger screen with harddrive.

I also have Dynaudio, rear view camera, colour MFD, dual climate, heated front screen, folding mirrors, etc etc..

A MIBI to MIBII swap requires bigger screen & new main unit..apparently I will also require a newer dynaudio amp as there is a difference between the amps (yes under the pass seat) from Version 1 to version 2...or you have to alter the existing VER1 amp to work with MIBII head unit...

Id be looking at over £1K...even second hand...:(....& then all the CP...