GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

enrikito

Just got off the phone with a local dealer, let me know what you guys think?

MSRP: $37,665

$34,165 + fees + TTL

You think I can get them lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this for a 2018? I think you can do a bit better, but I think depends on your location...

If it's for a 2017... I think you can do a lot better than that...

Attached is a screenshot of my cheat sheet showing what my local dealers were offering me. The Estimate OTD was based on a formula adding fees, registration, taxes, etc...

I was able to get my 2018 with $4,636 off MSRP, my target was to get as close to $4,000 off MSRP.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,234

gtinewbie1

Passed Driver's Ed
Is this for a 2018? I think you can do a bit better, but I think depends on your location...

If it's for a 2017... I think you can do a lot better than that...

Attached is a screenshot of my cheat sheet showing what my local dealers were offering me. The Estimate OTD was based on a formula adding fees, registration, taxes, etc...

I was able to get my 2018 with $4,636 off MSRP, my target was to get as close to $4,000 off MSRP.

Yes its for a 2018 Autobahn. I am in SoCal. I try to get as much info from these dealers over email or phone but they won’t tell me anything. They all want me to come in, test drive the car and talk about it. I don’t have time for that.

How does everyone get so much info out of these dealers?

Can you share your formula for fees etc? That would help. Thanks

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Yes its for a 2018 Autobahn. I am in SoCal. I try to get as much info from these dealers over email or phone but they won’t tell me anything. They all want me to come in, test drive the car and talk about it. I don’t have time for that.

I typically email dealers asking for the following split up. If the dealer is really interested in making the sale they would give the information.
MSRP
Selling price (what incentives are included)
Destination fee
Dealer fee if any

Tax and title fee is going to be the same irrespective of any dealer. I bought mine from a dealer who is 8 hours away and i stepped into the dealership only to take the delivery.

AmericanEnthusiast

Passed Driver's Ed
I typically email dealers asking for the following split up. If the dealer is really interested in making the sale they would give the information.
MSRP
Selling price (what incentives are included)
Destination fee
Dealer fee if any

Tax and title fee is going to be the same irrespective of any dealer. I bought mine from a dealer who is 8 hours away and i stepped into the dealership only to take the delivery.
I always make them give me a number that is OTD minus tax and title. That way you aren't figuring out where the money has to come from. Give them another dealer to compete with and then tell them that if you give me xxx I will sign the dotted line. Has worked for the last 4 cars.

Ultimately it doesn't matter if they sell you the car for 5000 and add 20000 in dealer fees. Only the number you are comfortable buying the car for matters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

enrikito

Can you share your formula for fees etc? That would help. Thanks

just gotta be patient - it took me a couple of weeks of research and back/forth with sales reps before i stepped into a dealership to talk in person.

i did specifically ask for a detailed price breakdown (MSRP, discounts, sale price, taxes/fees, OTD) - most dealers replied while others just insisted to come in and test drive the car. i just told them that i had already done a test drive and i'm looking through local dealer offers before coming in person to save time (you can tell from my cheat sheet)

i did not get a "final" price via email but i did get a pretty good idea for my target price when i had to come in in person for final negotiations.

For the formula:
OTD = sale price + 9.25% tax (varies depending on your zip code) + 0.9% (average other vehicle taxes) + $80 doc fee + $225 average other DMV fees

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah - there's lots of fees...

The DMV here site has an online calculator for all that (attached is a screenshot for all the fees based on a new $30,000 car)

Ahh, I was thinking the 0.9% was based on purchase price of car. Those look like a bunch of set fees you pay no matter what the car cost. $421 for registration fees isn't bad. Mine was over $300 IIRC on top of 8% sales tax and I live in the middle of nowhere. Tis the cost of having nice schools, nice roads, etc...