GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cruise Control Mystery

Ay B

This one has been bothering me for a while so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

When I first got my GTI, the cruise control worked like this:

Press + to set speed 10 km/h higher
Press - to set speed 10 km/h lower
With cruise control active, pressing "Res" would increase speed by 1 km/h
Pressing "Set" would decrease speed by 1 km/h
(Once cruise was cancelled, those two buttons would work as their intended functions)

I found this quite handy, since there are a lot of speed changes on the highways that I drive.

When I left after my first service appointment, I realized that they had removed these functions, and pressing +\- would only go up or down by 1, and Res/Set didn't alter speed at all.

I asked them to change it back but they said it couldn't be done.

It's always puzzled me. Anyone else had this, or knows what could have been going on there? (Also- can I change it back?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I've heard of this. Try holding the plus for a second or two to see if it does the 10KM increments.

The problem I have with the cruise control on my 2016 TSI S 5MT is that shifting gears does not cancel the CC. On all my previous cars pushing in the clutch would cancel the CC just like tapping the brake, but on this Golf after I downshift from 5th to 4th the car accelerates back up to the set speed unless I tap the brake or manually cancel the CC.

I assume that's the way VW designed their cruise control, but it makes no sense to me and is annoying.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The problem I have with the cruise control on my 2016 TSI S 5MT is that shifting gears does not cancel the CC. On all my previous cars pushing in the clutch would cancel the CC just like tapping the brake, but on this Golf after I downshift from 5th to 4th the car accelerates back up to the set speed unless I tap the brake or manually cancel the CC.

I assume that's the way VW designed their cruise control, but it makes no sense to me and is annoying.

I actually like it! I think it's cool. Just work around it. Now you know, you have to hit the cancel button on the wheel when you wanna shift while in cruise control. I think it's fun using cruise control on the highway, then approaching a tool booth downshifting to 3rd way in advance so that i get to the ez pass lane @ ~30mph, a safe speed for the thing to detect my tag, then when i'm thru the lane I tap reset and just shifting the gears while the ECU does all the throttle for me. It's quite like playing a video game, and I rather enjoy it :D

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
I've heard of this. Try holding the plus for a second or two to see if it does the 10KM increments.

On my '15, the +/- adjusts my speed in 5mph increments. I didn't necessarily mind at first, but it completely eliminates a finer-tuned speed adjustment. I took mine in for an ECU issue a few months back, and they loaned me a '17 Golf wagon that would adjust the speed in 1mph increments.

Is it factual that holding the button adjusts these increments? Or is this a theory? I'd really like to adjust to smaller increments!

copperbricks

Ready to race!
I actually noticed the same thing; my 2015 GTI worked as you described. +/- worked in 5 mph increments, while set/res worked in 1 mph increments.
However in my 2016 Golf R, +/- does 1 mph increments and set/res don't do anything.
I kinda miss the old way, being able to go in 5s is helpful for matching speed limits.

Might be a vagcom tweak for it?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:00 AM #6

Disturbd1:
Your set and res buttons should adjust the speed in increments of one, it took me forever to figure it out in my 2015 GTI.

Edit:
Seem to have found a solution at the end of this thread about the same thing. I may try this out in my R when I get a chance.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25415&page=2

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
Disturbd1:
Your set and res buttons should adjust the speed in increments of one, it took me forever to figure it out in my 2015 GTI.

Edit:
Seem to have found a solution at the end of this thread about the same thing. I may try this out in my R when I get a chance.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25415&page=2

Nice find! Does this mean it can only be changed via coding? I plan to buy an OBDEleven at some point, but right now I don't have an option. I wonder if I could get the dealer to change it...

copperbricks

Ready to race!
Maybe looks like it? Might be worth trying holding down the + or - or maybe set or res like people have mentioned to see if that's a way to switch between the two.

Certainly couldn't hurt to ask the dealer, it'd be worth a shot.
I'd highly recommend the OBDEleven though, it's great for troubleshooting and all the little tweaks you can do are awesome.