GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sound Deadening and KESSY problems...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Wondering if anyone who's done some sound deadening could shed light on if it could cause issues with the KESSY system offered by VW.

A year ago, I installed a dash cam (hardwired to fuse panel), VW factory Helix Sound Box (with provided wiring harness) and SoundSkins Pro all around the same time about a year ago.
I've disconnected the dash cam from the fuse box and soundbox power from the amp, and have still reproduced the issue, so I don't think they are causing it.

Ever since they were all installed, the following happens:
- Sometimes, at random, while driving I will get a key not found error on my dash. I can be the only one in the car and my keys haven't moved from my right front pocket.
- Sometimes when a passenger gets into the front seat of the car, then shuts the door and we start driving, I get a key not found error on my dash.
- Sometimes when I put down a window 2-4 inches just to get some extra air flow, you guessed it... I will get a key not found error on my dash.

I contacted both the local stereo place I purchased the SoundSkins Pro who uses it on most of their installs and SoundSkins themselves, both stated there should be zero issue. I also consulted with a friend who is an audio signal engineer who said it shouldn't affect anything in his mind either.

VW said they can find no fault with the system but didn't immediately blame the SoundSkins either. They wound't do a repair since there were no faults found during scan and no issues with the equipment based on their testing. This was straight from the shop foreman who did the testing and who I do trust based on previous experience.

And yes, I've replaced the f'n batteries.

I'm at a loss and looking for ideas.

Last edited: