GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discover Pro Retrofit & Helix Subwoofer Problems!

harryw999

Thanks both for the reply.
Yes it seems a little out of hand for my knowledge now! I've booked it in to VW a week on Thursday to look at the battery and the subwoofer - I'm doubtful they'll look at it since I've changed the radio - either that or they'll charge me a fortune. (I didn't tell them I changed it over the phone!) Well the issue isn't actually with the unit itself, only the subwoofer they installed but again, it was working with the unit that should be in the car so I'm doubtful.

Regarding the coding - I did use the long coding helper in the end for my MIBII comparing with my MIB1 (It was a late 2017 unit, I could only change the numbers in the code manually on VCDS) but the issue with the sound is nothing to do with coding (I don't think) because as mentioned the helix requires the internal amplifier of the unit.

I am returning my MIBII DP now anyway and kept my MIB1 DP installed (Personally don't think the money is worth it for additional features)

If the dealer fails or refuses to fix the issue then I might just have to revert back to my Composition Media system which sucks - I've gotten to love the Navigation System and bigger screen!

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
George, would this still be a coding issue? He says the stock speakers are working when plugged in and that’s the only thing helix needs.

With the wiring and outputs of the MIB1 and MIB2 units being physically identical and everything including Helix working properly with MIB1 unit, yes I suspect that it is coding of the new MIB2 unit as that is what decides what to send on those outputs. Anything is possible, but that is where I would be looking. I would start by looking at if the MIB2 unit was being initially configured for a Fender system (external amp), by checking the byte that selects if being used with that system. I am surprised the OP didn't provide the code for the MIB1 unit and the MIB2 unit so we could look at, see the bytes that are different, and then determine if those differences could potentially play into the issue. Or ask someone who has a MIB2 unit with a working helix what their code is. Sounds like the OP is waving the white flag so we will never know.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
He said earlier on that he had coded it back to the internal amp. And it sounds like he was successful since he can plug the speakers directly into it and they work properly. I don’t think coding is the issue.

I've coded it back to the internal amplifier and 8 channel passive speaker system in VCDS!

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
It shouldn’t be a dsp coding issue. The only thing dsp coding does is set eq, time alignment, etc. basically just the shape of the sound. Wouldn’t have anything to do with signal turn on or anything.

Only thing I can possibly think, if it is coding, that somehow loadsensing isn’t working properly even though the internal amp is enabled. Like I feel like someone else here ran into this when they tried to enable the external amp output and the internal at the same time. Is it possible you do what George suggests and post the long coding of both units to see what the difference is? I’ll have to step aside because I know nothing about coding.

harryw999

I know I'm sure it won't be but I'm running out of ideas :(

Sadly my long coding helper is very different from my MIB1 Composition Media (the only unit the DSP works with) than the MIB1 Discover Pro. I have checked and everything that can be seems to be identical - Internal Amp - 4 Channel - No MOST etc.

Maybe (Very unlikely but maybe) it could be a battery issue as my battery isn't holding a good charge - (No start stop etc) This is the main reason it's booked in on Thursday!

I appreciate you trying to help! :)

I will however post my entire long coding for my DP tomorrow to see if someone can see anything obvious that I might have missed!

Last edited:

anders1

Same issue

I have the same issue got the new Discovery pro with the large 9.2"screen
2017 Golf alltrack 7.5.If i reconnect the white connector on the Helix amp it starts, but when i turn off the car and wait until the green light on the Helix amp turns off, and turn on the car there are no sound and no green light.
If i measure the white connector on the Helix amp i got 12v on the yellow wire and 6.3v on the speaker wire.When it works it sounds good.
I saw there was a new code for car with low output could that do the trick?

Iceman2

I have the same issue got the new Discovery pro with the large 9.2"screen
2017 Golf alltrack 7.5.If i reconnect the white connector on the Helix amp it starts, but when i turn off the car and wait until the green light on the Helix amp turns off, and turn on the car there are no sound and no green light.
If i measure the white connector on the Helix amp i got 12v on the yellow wire and 6.3v on the speaker wire.When it works it sounds good.
I saw there was a new code for car with low output could that do the trick?

You have the exact same problem as me but my car is a golf r 2015 with MIB1. I tryed to code the Helix DSP to code 97 today. But sadly still same problem.

harryw999

I would be interested in seeing that coding - looking at it is does seem to be a power issue as the speaker ouput from the internal amp can't be any different from the DP or CM surely?

MIB type doesn't seem to matter as this happened on both my Discover Pro MIB1 and MIB2 units :(

anders1

I emailed Helix Audio Fisher and told them about my problem,they asked me to send it back for investigation i will se how much the shipping cost is if i do it.

harryw999

So we can now confirm that the issue we have isn't a problem with the coding of the DSP and it doesn't seem to matter about the firmware version of the head unit either - I imagine it'll cost a fair amount to ship back!