GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG or Manual for GTD ?

MonkeyNuts

Hi all
decided its time to upgrade from my 2002 tdi!
i've always been a manual user, but have heard some good things about the DSG.
would folks that use either please give me their thoughts and user experiences?
many thanks all :)

Buncy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all
decided its time to upgrade from my 2002 tdi!
i've always been a manual user, but have heard some good things about the DSG.
would folks that use either please give me their thoughts and user experiences?
many thanks all :)

Now this is one of those Marmite subject for most people and there are arguments for both sides of the fence. I've owned a few (quick ish) cars all manual until now as I have a 7.5 GTD DSG.

Manuals: Yes they are more engaging and you can select the correct gear for the situation, and who doesn't like throwing from one gear to the next like a scene from the fast and the furious lol.

DSG: I will start by saying its not 100% perfect (what is?), it can change gear at odd times but the same can happen in a manual, we all pick the wrong gear from time to time. But we all live in the real world plodding along to work and back with traffic or people driving at inconsistent speeds. This for me is where DSG comes into its own, paired with radar cruise daily driving is soooooo much easier, turn on cruise and just hold the steering wheel, from cruising speed to a complete stop the car will do all the throttle and braking required. When you do want to have some fun you can use manual mode and the shifting paddles. And lets not forget launch control :cool: .

I would recommend a long test drive with manual and DSG but if I personally had to stick with one forever it would be DSG.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
DSG, surprised manual is still an option as many makers now just offer a dual clutch and no manual. Trouble is many have never driven both and also class the DSG like one of the old slush boxes with a torque converter. As said try one but a good test drive not 5minutes down the road and back.

MonkeyNuts

many thanks for your help guys.
i'll take a nice long test drive in the new year, but already heavily leaning towards the DSG, even before making this thread ;)

Jon2

Ready to race!
DSG and go petrol. Diesel is all but dead. The changes to tax coming in over the next few years will really hurt diesel resale values. A GT with active cylinder technology (ACT) is the option I'd look at.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I’m a dyed in the wool manual trans guy, but the dsg is damn good. I enjoy the hell out of it when I drive an s3 from time to time. Can’t go wrong either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro