GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB2 video playback

1flygti1

I have an Canadian 8" MIB2 in my 2016 GTI and I have read a few places that it plays video, I have tried .avi and .mkv which don't work at all, .mp4 plays audio only. I've tried it through DVD, USB, and SD and so far nothing works.

Am I missing something here?

Also, how up to date are the maps? There is a highway in my area that opened up in 2014 which isn't on my nav, how can I update it?

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
There is a bug in apple car play that will allow a video on the mib2 screen. Do you own an iphone?

I don't condone this because driving distractions are bad, however I have used it for my toddler a handful of times admittedly.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

1flygti1

There is a bug in apple car play that will allow a video on the mib2 screen. Do you own an iphone?

I don't condone this because driving distractions are bad, however I have used it for my toddler a handful of times admittedly.

I do have an iphone and couldn't get video to work that way either.

Can you post your Hardware and software versions ?

Last edited:

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
1.Open ios messaging app
2.Where you would normally type a message to someone go ahead and choose a video from your photo library
3.Make sure you hit "choose" so it's in the message box but not sent to the recipient
4.Tap on the video while it is in the message box, carplay will enter airplay mode (it's a glitch) and the video will play on screen from your photo library

Now the fun part is figuring out how to add videos you want to play other than those that you've recorded with your camera. I will let you figure that one out.

Hint: You can use this link to convert any youtube video into the correct format https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/

You will also need a file management app to move the file into your photo library.

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
Just updated ios to 10.3.2 and verified that the method I posted earlier still works. Also verified with other vehicle owners that it works.