GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Details?

vahdyx

Ready to race!
I read an article about the Mk7 having a different valve system which is where the extra torque comes from, but the turbo is still K03. Can anyone find or confirm details on the engine technical info?

I understand the HP and stuff, but I couldn't find the specifics.

Is it safe to assume the EA888 in Audi will be the exact same as it will be in the GTI?

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
It will more than likely include the Audi Valvelift system to obtain that extra torque. Think of it as a German VTEC but a little bit more sophisticated.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
There hasn't been anything info specific to the third-gen 2.0 EA888 released yet. This article talks a bit about the new architecture: http://blog.caranddriver.com/audi-g...urbo-four-and-the-sq5’s-twin-turbo-diesel-v6/

The new 1.8T is very similar in design so you may want to look into that a bit.

Can you please post a link to your article claiming the new car is still using a K03?

Well I can't seem to find it it was a couple months ago on a speculation. It seemed pretty accurate based on the valve lift and power output. So I assume the k03 is too

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
MK7 GTI (As well as the MK6 and TSI MK5) is NOT using a Borg Warner K03, you can clearly see the "IHI" insignia that is stamped on the compressor much like the IHI that is featured in EA888 engines currently.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
MK7 GTI (As well as the MK6 and TSI MK5) is NOT using a Borg Warner K03, you can clearly see the "IHI" insignia that is stamped on the compressor much like the IHI that is featured in EA888 engines currently.

I was under the impression the MK6 was K03. Interesting, can you link me to this detail. Also you're stating the EA888 is this IHI turbo as well?

You seem knowledgable on the subjects can you compare the two turbos? Performance wise is one more preferred over the other or is it more of a reliability thing?

I know very little about about GTI's, the few things I do know will get me started when I get mine in a few years. If you want to know about the Cobalt SS turbocharged feel free to ask but I feel it's safe to assume you don't care about that.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I was under the impression the MK6 was K03. Interesting, can you link me to this detail. Also you're stating the EA888 is this IHI turbo as well?

Yes. The TSI is using a Malaysian company's turbo called an IHI. That is why the power band is different from the Borg Warner K03. However, IHI still designates it as a K03 since it IS in a fact a VW Casting.

Since the EA888 came around 2008 when the economy tanked, I think VW needed to source their production in a more cheaper fasion. Switching to an Asian company with some copyrights and patents solidfied there cost savings and kept the casting from being copied and sold to different suppliers.

You seem knowledgable on the subjects can you compare the two turbos? Performance wise is one more preferred over the other or is it more of a reliability thing?

Head on over to golfmk6.com and you might learn something about the EA888. What would you like to know?

I did a K04 swap and studied the Stock IHI in depth. It features a 261 Cartridge, 456 Turbine Style and a 501 compressor outlet with machine silencer. I'm assuming these are all exclusive parts from IHI and the casting for the K03 mold is supplied by VW design. As far as comparing the two yes two completely different compressor maps.

The IHI has a lot more down low and midrange spool giving EXTRA torque midrange while supplying better numbers. (EA888s were actually making around 198-200WHP from the factory), but totally runs out of steam quicker than the Borg Warner K03.

I know very little about about GTI's, the few things I do know will get me started when I get mine in a few years. If you want to know about the Cobalt SS turbocharged feel free to ask but I feel it's safe to assume you don't care about that.

I know enough about having a friend that owns one. GTIs are just my thing. I've been in this game for a while. It doesnt hurt to work for an OEM as well.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
Yes. The TSI is using a Malaysian company's turbo called an IHI. That is why the power band is different from the Borg Warner K03. However, IHI still designates it as a K03 since it IS in a fact a VW Casting.

Since the EA888 came around 2008 when the economy tanked, I think VW needed to source their production in a more cheaper fasion. Switching to an Asian company with some copyrights and patents solidfied there cost savings and kept the casting from being copied and sold to different suppliers.

Head on over to golfmk6.com and you might learn something about the EA888. What would you like to know?

I did a K04 swap and studied the Stock IHI in depth. It features a 261 Cartridge, 456 Turbine Style and a 501 compressor outlet with machine silencer. I'm assuming these are all exclusive parts from IHI and the casting for the K03 mold is supplied by VW design. As far as comparing the two yes two completely different compressor maps.

The IHI has a lot more down low and midrange spool giving EXTRA torque midrange while supplying better numbers. (EA888s were actually making around 198-200WHP from the factory), but totally runs out of steam quicker than the Borg Warner K03.

I know enough about having a friend that owns one. GTIs are just my thing. I've been in this game for a while. It doesnt hurt to work for an OEM as well.

You're a wealth of knowledge and I understand completely. I'd much rather have a GTI ove my SS. It's faster sure but I can't ever make it Nice.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
You're a wealth of knowledge and I understand completely. I'd much rather have a GTI ove my SS. It's faster sure but I can't ever make it Nice.

My GTI Is WAAAAYYYYY Faster than the SS. A simple OEM turbo swap nets you 366hp and 380tq.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
My GTI Is WAAAAYYYYY Faster than the SS. A simple OEM turbo swap nets you 366hp and 380tq.

Very nice man! Digging those numbers for sure, is that WHP or Crank HP? Either way, I'm liking it! I wish you lived in Colorado though, I have 350whp 397wtq on stock turbo with 91 octane and I'd love to see how I'd do against ya. I'm probably pushing more numbers now to the wheels due to my new tune, but I don't know what those numbers are now. If anything more torque.

Your car is sick indeed, when I get my GTI, you'll have to show me the parts to go for.

I plan going E85 soon so I imagine I'll be at 400whp, we'll see though. Lets hope my ol' crapbox tranny will hold up haha.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Very nice man! Digging those numbers for sure, is that WHP or Crank HP? Either way, I'm liking it! I wish you lived in Colorado though, I have 350whp 397wtq on stock turbo with 91 octane and I'd love to see how I'd do against ya. I'm probably pushing more numbers now to the wheels due to my new tune, but I don't know what those numbers are now. If anything more torque.

Your car is sick indeed, when I get my GTI, you'll have to show me the parts to go for.

I plan going E85 soon so I imagine I'll be at 400whp, we'll see though. Lets hope my ol' crapbox tranny will hold up haha.

Not bad! My numbers are at the crank. We have some guys over on the mk6 forum that are pushing 352whp on K04 with 100oct and not Water Meth. Others are topping 450whp with GT30s and new injectors.

Its a really easy platform to make power thats for sure! However, we're definitely limited by fueling at around 500whp.

vahdyx

Ready to race!
Not bad! My numbers are at the crank. We have some guys over on the mk6 forum that are pushing 352whp on K04 with 100oct and not Water Meth. Others are topping 450whp with GT30s and new injectors.

Its a really easy platform to make power thats for sure! However, we're definitely limited by fueling at around 500whp.

Thanks dude, and if you ever feel like trading cars for a Cobalt :p

You know where to look though I'd like to have a MK6 before 5 haha.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
True. I'm considering a MK6 Golf R, but this 7 is really tempting me.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
True. I'm considering a MK6 Golf R, but this 7 is really tempting me.

I think now is the time to pick up MK6 R's. VW dealers are letting go them go so cheaply. My local dealer just let one go at month end for 30,970! WTF? But fast forward to this time next year. No MK7 R available for a while. Going to be a hole there.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Would hurt to look. They make some serious power, but still, I'm car payment-less right now and might just sit on it for a while until I can pay out right.