GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine mount question

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I recently purchased the SuperPro Engine mount kit and the quality looks excellent and the mounts are VERY stiff!

One thing I did notice, is that their engine mount lacks the horizontal mounting point that mounts towards the passenger side wheel well. There is no bushing there and it doesn't look like it actually touches the screw.

Does anyone know what the point of that horizontal bar is? Should there be any concern with mounting the SuperPro not having it?

Last edited:

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I noticed that, it's missing from the ECS mount as well. Not really sure what it's for. Maybe extra crash protection? Or just more beef for the weaker stock mount

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I would think the longer OE arm offers stability to the main housing.
Three points of contact. This arm looks like it is designed to allow some movement so looks like more of a limitor than a hard point.

The Superpro doesn't have this arm I see but the main body is much beefier.
Maybe from testing the found the arm was not needed if they main the main
body strong enough. Looks worth a try.

BravoMike,
We do need to detail your engine one day!
Especially with these fancy blue items added.

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
That arm looks like it is there to stop excessive movement of the stock mounts. Useless under light load, but then snuggs up to the bolt when under heavy load to prevent further movement. Prob all together useless with upgrades mounts.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Those are the way I wanna roll! SP FTW!

The third point looks like it is a lateral stabilizer since the engine hangs off the side of it. I'm sure SP has their ducks in a row and would not worry about it.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the responses! I'm sure SuperPro has their reasons for not including it. I didn't realize that not all mounts didn't have this. Another thought I just had is that its possibly for alignment of the mount.

I'm really excited to try these out. I am very impressed with the quality and the stiffness and will be sure to post a quick review when I get them in. The lower trans mount that connects the dog-bone might take me a little longer to get installed. I'm going to call a shop to see if they can do it with a hydraulic press without removing the subframe. Otherwise I'll have to drop it myself when I get time.

I pulled the trigger on them when I saw a sale. $599 for the set.
http://www.urotuning.com/SuperPro-Engine-Mount-Kit-MQB-Mk7-VW-8V-Audi-p/trc2001.htm

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I emailed SuperPro in regards to the third mounting position and here is the response that I received.

SuperPro said:
The small upper ‘arm’ on the mount that you mentioned is intentionally eliminated from our kit. That arm exists primarily as an assembly aid on the OEM mount. It seems the mount is ‘hung’ in the engine bay prior to the powertrain being fitted from below and this allows the mount to be fitted before hand so it is easily fastened and properly located for the factory workers. Given the minimal material and the thin stamped mounting point there isn’t much, if any, additional strength to be found.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
BravoMike,
We do need to detail your engine one day!
Especially with these fancy blue items added.

Haha... just saw this part of your post. You don't want to see inside of my engine because it is dirty! I normally clean what I can easily reach, but more of a form over function kinda person.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I emailed SuperPro in regards to the third mounting position and here is the response that I received.
Wonder if it could set off knock sensors? Sounds like everyone should cut theirs off :)

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
Wonder if it could set off knock sensors? Sounds like everyone should cut theirs off :)

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Weight reduction

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Haha... just saw this part of your post. You don't want to see inside of my engine because it is dirty! I normally clean what I can easily reach, but more of a form over function kinda person.

Still running RE-11's?
Mine wore out. Soon to put Firestone 500's on.
Last I looked the RE-11's getting harder to find.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Still running RE-11's?
Mine wore out. Soon to put Firestone 500's on.
Last I looked the RE-11's getting harder to find.

Yes, still on RE-11's and still love them! I don’t put many miles on the GTI, in fact I just hit 17,000 miles. I saw that Tire Rack doesn’t list them for my size anymore. (235/40R18) I may have to shop around for a new 200TW tire...:(

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
Thanks for the responses! I'm sure SuperPro has their reasons for not including it. I didn't realize that not all mounts didn't have this. Another thought I just had is that its possibly for alignment of the mount.

I'm really excited to try these out. I am very impressed with the quality and the stiffness and will be sure to post a quick review when I get them in. The lower trans mount that connects the dog-bone might take me a little longer to get installed. I'm going to call a shop to see if they can do it with a hydraulic press without removing the subframe. Otherwise I'll have to drop it myself when I get time.

I pulled the trigger on them when I saw a sale. $599 for the set.
http://www.urotuning.com/SuperPro-Engine-Mount-Kit-MQB-Mk7-VW-8V-Audi-p/trc2001.htm

Did you ever hear back about whether you can install without dropping subframe? I am guessing you probably cannot; maybe the lower, but the upper is very unlikely. If you have to drop it, using these mounts gets rather costly in terms of money and time; would probably need an alignment done too.