GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti MK7 Engine and Transmission swap

Motornajoia1

Hello there,

I´m planning to do a MK7 Engine and transmission Swap on my car, wanna know if anyone tried that (haven´t find anything here yet).

The question is: can some modules of the car be disable or disconected? EX. Headlights, door controls. and leeave only the engine module working?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Short answer is no.

Pretty sure your best option would be an aftermarket ECU and TCU.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
There's someone here in So Cal that swapped a EA888 out of a GTI into his Golf Alltrack. He got it to fire up...but still needs a bunch of coding done.

Motornajoia1

Actually the question is, can some modules be disable?
To be short, I already have the complete donor car, I remove everything and it is working on the floor already with everything conected! But all the lights are up on tge dash! Lol

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26212

While I can't say I personally have answers to your questions, this guy wound up successfully transplanting a gti drivetrain into a TSI. At the very least it can be done, but it does look like an insane amount of work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Swapping the bottom end and keeping the 1.8 head would be a LOT less work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Swapping the bottom end and keeping the 1.8 head would be a LOT less work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Honestly I've thought about doing exactly that. Ultimately however it's the transmission that I would be more interested in swapping than the engine. The 1.8 is plenty capable of pushing big numbers, but I can't help but feel the dsg or six speed would be better suited to handle that.

Of course getting a dsg to play nice with a 1.8 that came with a slush is probably going to be a whole can of electrical gremlins.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello there,

I´m planning to do a MK7 Engine and transmission Swap on my car, wanna know if anyone tried that (haven´t find anything here yet).

The question is: can some modules of the car be disable or disconected? EX. Headlights, door controls. and leeave only the engine module working?

To mechanical side of the work is very easy compared to cars in the past, a because of the MQB platform design...

However the complex bit is the electrical, as there are several problems that will occur.

1. mix & match donor & your original cars electronic modules...depending on which modules, component protection will activate which can only be removed by FAZIT connection at dealer.

2. coding, you need VCDS or VCpro to recode the modules, so if you swap the donor car electric to your original car but your removing donor car modules you don't want, you need to "code out" those modules in some of the modules that you are keeping.

Basically the modules all talk to each other & if they cannot find a module they were talking to fault codes & lights will appear...

However there is a basic minimum of modules that are required for the car to operate...

Motornajoia1

To mechanical side of the work is very easy compared to cars in the past, a because of the MQB platform design...

However the complex bit is the electrical, as there are several problems that will occur.

1. mix & match donor & your original cars electronic modules...depending on which modules, component protection will activate which can only be removed by FAZIT connection at dealer.

2. coding, you need VCDS or VCpro to recode the modules, so if you swap the donor car electric to your original car but your removing donor car modules you don't want, you need to "code out" those modules in some of the modules that you are keeping.

Basically the modules all talk to each other & if they cannot find a module they were talking to fault codes & lights will appear...

However there is a basic minimum of modules that are required for the car to operate...

Lets see what we gonna come out with!
I´II post some news here as soon as I get ahead with the engine working on the floor, everything is comunicating since I got everything from the donnor car, now I just need to get the engine running on the floor to starting moving everything to te car that I´m swapping on! the engine is missing its oil pan I´m waiting on a new one from the dealer to cranck it up!

I´II post some pictures if that helps.