GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I'm trying to figure out how aggressive I can get with coilovers and 18" wheels without having to pull/roll, essentially. I used to run 19x9.5+25 on 245/35R19 Front and 19x10.5+25 on 275/35R19 Rear on my Gen Coupe, it was quite aggressive, especially on coilovers but I had to shave off a bit of the inner lip and some of my struts.

https://i1.wp.com/blog.modbargains....3/11/avant-garde-m220-wheels-vw-mk6-gti-5.jpg

Kind of the look I'm going for
That's like a 8.5 wheel in the pics I believe

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm trying to figure out how aggressive I can get with coilovers and 18" wheels without having to pull/roll, essentially.

https://i1.wp.com/blog.modbargains....3/11/avant-garde-m220-wheels-vw-mk6-gti-5.jpg

Kind of the look I'm going for

Based on what I've done, and I'm not as low as you can go on BC coilovers, here's my best guess.

18x9.5 ET 45 (~4mm less aggressive than my front setup)
235/40 tires, preferably a brand/model without a square profile

If you want to go staggered you could do a 18x8.5 ET 35 front with the 9.5 ET45 rear. If you liked a wheel that didn't come in those offsets you could run spacers to get there.

Because BCs have camber plates up front you'll have the ability to run similar front camber to what I have now (-2+ degrees) which helps with fender clearance a ton.

What I have now is 18x9 ET45 with 10mm spacers up front and 5mm in the rear, and about -2.4 degrees of camber up front. The only thing I've done to my fenders is to bend up the little lips at 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock where the fender meets the bumper, I was getting a little rub there on a hard freeway speed dip. No rubbing in aggressive driving. My car sits about 25" FTG (fender to ground).

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9-5&offset2=45

IMG_20180207_223008_149 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

If you want to run more tire, I'd think you'd need fender work if you're going much lower than I am especially.

Nisoaz

Based on what I've done, and I'm not as low as you can go on BC coilovers, here's my best guess.

If you want to go staggered you could do a 18x8.5 ET 35 front with the 9.5 ET45 rear. If you liked a wheel that didn't come in those offsets you could run spacers to get there.

Because BCs have camber plates up front you'll have the ability to run similar front camber to what I have now (-2+ degrees) which helps with fender clearance a ton.

What I have now is 18x9 ET45 with 10mm spacers up front and 5mm in the rear, and about -2.4 degrees of camber up front. The only thing I've done to my fenders is to bend up the little lips at 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock where the fender meets the bumper, I was getting a little rub there on a hard freeway speed dip. No rubbing in aggressive driving. My car sits about 25" FTG (fender to ground).

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9-5&offset2=45

If you want to run more tire, I'd think you'd need fender work if you're going much lower than I am especially.

Very nice set-up. I actually creeped your build page. I like it. It looks very nice and tight considering its on springs. I'm a fan of the wheel choice too. Looks great on white.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Very nice set-up. I actually creeped your build page. I like it. It looks very nice and tight considering its on springs. I'm a fan of the wheel choice too. Looks great on white.

Thanks! It's not creeping if I put it out there haha. I've been really happy with how worry free it's been with the road quality out here, and the ride quality and handling are better than you'd expect. Coilovers would have better control and adjustability, but I tried to keep it easy this time around.

I know what I've done and what you're looking to do aren't exactly the same, but wheel offsets, ride height and alignment specs translate across the board. Hopefully you can use me as an example to get what you want!

tylerf0606

Ready to race!

Do you think you could go lower on your current setup if you weren't running the spacers?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Why are you running larger spacers in the front than rear flip? Due to the added camber?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Do you think you could go lower on your current setup if you weren't running the spacers?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I think I could go a little lower if I had no spacers, sure. Not that much without some fender work up front though, just for safety. I'm not "that low" now but I think it's a perfect height for my daily commute. That's one of the reasons I pushed with the spacers, to go as aggressive as I could at that ride height.

Why are you running larger spacers in the front than rear flip? Due to the added camber?

Sort of for a look, the camber definitely added to that. It made me think of M3s with square (all rear wheel) setups running way wide up front:

Last edited:

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I think I could go a little lower if I had no spacers, sure. Not that much without some fender work up front though, just for safety. I'm not "that low" now but I think it's a perfect height for my daily commute. That's one of the reasons I pushed with the spacers, to go as aggressive as I could at that ride height.

Sort of for a look, the camber definitely added to that. It made me think of M3s with square (all rear wheel) setups running way wide up front:

Some of my track friends say that more track width in the front will help turn in with our cars.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Some of my track friends say that more track width in the front will help turn in with our cars.

That was a little thought in the back of my mind, but when you really get into suspension dynamics there are too many maths for me. Roll center, scrub radius, frequency, all that is more than I care to think about for a daily driven hot hatch haha. I just wanted the look, and I don't think it's negatively effected anything so I'm happy with it :D

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't want to stagger the wheels you won't be able to rotate you tires. You would have to dismount and remount and that get's expensive.

I've never owned a set of wheels long enough to rotate tires lol.

I think I'm getting close to needing a new set of fronts on my RF though.

Pic for relavence in aggressive thread.

18x9/9.5 +38/32 215/49 neogen all around, no camber adjustment up front, within factory spec in the rear.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Just wondering what 19x9 et41 would look like on a MK7? I may be trading my wheels for a set with these specs, and 235/35's. Just curious about how it will look compared to my current 19x8.5 et45's