GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

chip repair

Matt97

Passed Driver's Ed
I noticed my Golf is getting some chips on it's paint due to driving a lot on crappy A10. I noticed one of chip seem slightly deep and afraid it will get rust if left untreated. I did a quick google search and found this website called chipex. I am wondering if anyone has experience on using this for their chip repair? It will be really appreciated if someone share their experience.

https://www.chipex.co.uk/chipex-before-and-after/

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
I've not tried chipex. Used a halfords colour code touch up kit for a previous vehicle. Its ok, but youll notice it close up - definitely better than rust though!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’ve used it, and found the key to getting good results is not to rush, but to take your time.

The stone chips I repaired were quite small so I didn’t spread the paint over the chipped area with a gloved finger as the demonstration videos show. This method worked for me;
  • Apply paint into each stone chip with a cocktail stick, and build the paint up in layers until the level of paint in the repair was higher than the surrounding paint.
  • When the paint is dry, the surplus was removed so it’s level with the surrounding paint using the blending solution - applied to the blue cloth wrapped around the small rubbing block supplied with the kit (the same way as you’d wrap sandpaper around sanding block if you were preparing paintwork in your home).
  • Rub very gently across the repair to remove the surplus paint - don’t use excessive pressure; this is very important, otherwise you’ll end up removing all the paint you’ve just applied to the repair, and you may inflict swirls to the surrounding paintwork.
  • Once you’re happy with the repair, finish off with the polish supplied, and then apply a coat of wax or sealant.
On really small chips, you might be able to get away with just applying a very small amount of paint to the affected area on a cocktail stick and then leave it, without doing the rubbing/blending stage

I was a little disappointed with my first attempts, because I rubbed too hard when using the blending solution. However, the beauty of the Chipex kit is that if you’re not happy with the results, or if you make a mistake, you can just remove the paint with the blending solution and start again.

I also found the paint colour match to be very good. I’d say the results aren’t 100% perfect, but they’re good enough so that others wouldn’t notice them, and you also quickly forget they’re there and don’t see them.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Look like the same idea as Dr. Colorchip. Cheaper than having a shop do it.