GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18Z calipers on the mk7.5 R

Willywonka

Ready to race!
you have to either machine down your current spindle or switch spindles completely...

Parts you will need if switching spindles:

mk6 spindles
mk6 wheel bearings
mk6 ABS sensors

Rotorlab will machine down the calipers. They have said they fitted numberous calipers to the ml7 so far. Look them up.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
18Z calipers on the mk7.5 R

Thems big ol' calipers to have no bridge...

eunhak

Passed Driver's Ed
You wouldn't happen to still have those part numbers? Does the ABS sensor plug right into the existing system? Seems like not too bad of an option. How did you figure out you only needed the spindles, wheel bearings and ABS sensors?

Oh also does that change the wheel offset in the front?

By spindle do you mean hub?

Oh you mean knuckles.. like

Thanks

My offsets are fine

part #'s are as follows:

Spindle (left) 1K0407255AA
Spindle (right) 1K0407256AA
front bearings 5K0498621 (2 of them)

It will be no different as say a 2012 GTI

eunhak

Passed Driver's Ed
PM me your email..and I can send you photos.. as posting photos here is complicated

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
My offsets are fine

part #'s are as follows:

Spindle (left) 1K0407255AA
Spindle (right) 1K0407256AA
front bearings 5K0498621 (2 of them)

It will be no different as say a 2012 GTI

What about the struts? ours are currently 55mm wasn't the later models 50mm?

Thaks for the information yay I figured those steel part numbers to be the ones where 18Z's would bolt up.

eunhak

Passed Driver's Ed
What about the struts? ours are currently 55mm wasn't the later models 50mm?

Thaks for the information yay I figured those steel part numbers to be the ones where 18Z's would bolt up.

i did not have to replace the suspension at all

eunhak

Passed Driver's Ed

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
MNG, was there a significant change in pedal feel when you got the 18Zs fitted? I just ordered a 17z kit from Rotorlab (My TDI has steel knuckles). Looking at threads for MK5 and MK6 upgrades I see people talking about master cylinder upgrades.

My understanding is the MK6 GTI had a 22.2mm master, while the MK6 R had a 23.8mm and the R owners didn't report an issue after upgrading. Both 7zap and parts.vw show the same (23.8mm) master for all MK7s, including my weirdo TDI which has "MK6" spindles.

This would go some ways to explaining why the brakes in my car are so grabby, having smaller pistons than the R/PP GTI. The 17z also has more piston area than the 18z but I want to keep my 17" wheels.

If you didn't notice a big change in pedal feel than I won't worry too much about it. Otherwise I may need to see if the HSTuning RS3 Master Cylinder upgrade kit for MKVIs will work on the MK7.

I'm hunting for information on the piston sizes for the rear brakes (for all Mk7s). Hoping to find the total piston area of my tiny 254mm rears + 17z fronts to be similar to your 310mm rears + 18z fronts meaning I should end up with similar pedal feel.

BTW, the brakes look fantastic!

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
MNG, was there a significant change in pedal feel when you got the 18Zs fitted? I just ordered a 17z kit from Rotorlab (My TDI has steel knuckles). Looking at threads for MK5 and MK6 upgrades I see people talking about master cylinder upgrades.

My understanding is the MK6 GTI had a 22.2mm master, while the MK6 R had a 23.8mm and the R owners didn't report an issue after upgrading. Both 7zap and parts.vw show the same (23.8mm) master for all MK7s, including my weirdo TDI which has "MK6" spindles.

This would go some ways to explaining why the brakes in my car are so grabby, having smaller pistons than the R/PP GTI. The 17z also has more piston area than the 18z but I want to keep my 17" wheels.

If you didn't notice a big change in pedal feel than I won't worry too much about it. Otherwise I may need to see if the HSTuning RS3 Master Cylinder upgrade kit for MKVIs will work on the MK7.

I'm hunting for information on the piston sizes for the rear brakes (for all Mk7s). Hoping to find the total piston area of my tiny 254mm rears + 17z fronts to be similar to your 310mm rears + 18z fronts meaning I should end up with similar pedal feel.

BTW, the brakes look fantastic!

This is good to know I was wondering if the master cylinder could handle these or any caliper upgrades of this nature.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Most of this is copied from my post in another thread.

So the part numbers are not the exact same, the 021A is only specified for Golfs while the 021B is specified for GTI (w and w/o PP)/R/GSWs, both are manufactured by TRW. There is also an ATE part number I didn't post but it's interchangeable with the 021B TRW part.

8V1611021A - TRW No. PMK685 - 23.8mm

8V1611021B - TRW No. PML480 - 23.81mm

Brake booster part number is exactly the same across the board.

Can't say I'm concerned about a .01mm difference but I don't know if that's the only reason for the part number difference. The B seems to be specified for cars with 312/340mm brakes. Assuming we all have the same size master cylinder (as we appear to) I think I should be okay. To be sure my rough math shows the 17z kit will have a little more piston area than the Golf R brakes 3100ish sq mm versus 2800ish sq mm but with the same master cylinder.
The 18z is a closer match in piston area but I want to keep my 17" Neuspeeds.

I would like to drive an R to see how the brake pedal feels. Based on everything we have found here I have to think the pedal is softer than ours although the braking power is massively improved. My pedal is grabby to the point that I nearly put myself through the windshield the fist time I drive the MK7 after driving the MK4 or my wife's Corolla. This could give the illusion that the brakes are incredible, which I suppose is how the majority people want to feel about their brakes.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

beaumier2006

Ready to race!
Bumping this thread up.

I just did this swap on my MKVII A3 Quattro. I have a Christmas tree of a dash and my ABS module is not recognizing the ABS sensors. Have any of you guys had this issue? My production date is early 2014 so
Perhaps I have an odd ABS module? I’ve tried quite literally EVERYTHING other then recoding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRoads

Ready to race!
You either left an abs sensor unplugged or you damaged them in some way during the swap. The ABS/Brake light(s) should go away within a couple hundred feet of driving the car, if you disconnected the battery. You shouldn't have to re-code anything.