GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Solowerks coilovers

BlueMK7GTI

I have the chance to come into these for free and was wondering what the input is on them? I was originally going to pick up a set of VWR springs at some point and haven’t decided if I will run 18 or 17 wheels.

My GTi is going to be a daily that will see canyons and some autox days.

This would be the first care I’ve messed with suspension on so I don’t really know what to expect ride wise. (I can do installs because I’ve built trucks and stuff just never had the need to put coil overs or springs on my cars)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
There's a reason why you're getting them for free.....they're low quality/"budget"/entry level coilovers for the "I wanna lower my car the most doing it the cheapest way possible" and/or "stance" crowd

The springs aren't bad, just typical coilover springs. The dampers are the weak link is the problem

They're definitely not setup or the first choice for AutoX-ing or spirited driving either, though you "could."
Ride quality...don't have high hopes for that either. Very mediocre.

I'd look for a different setup and/or not waste your time installing them, if you plan on doing the above events, even if they're "free"

"You get what you pay for" ;)

Last edited:

ryebread1

They are budget because they use off the shelf components and lower quality control than other manufacturers. are they really that bad? no, people run them without failure other than poor rust prohibitive qualities. would i put them on my car? no.

For canyon driving: cheapest coil over id recommend is ST. they're owned by KW so cost is lower but general quality is very good.

for autoX, add the following as needed:
lighter wheels, better tires, few sets of brake pads, RSB,

cheers.

BlueMK7GTI

Guys thanks for the heads up.

I was planning on just running VWR springs just to get a little stance change and then had these handed to me, so I was really curious if it would be worth installing them or not.

I havent heard of ST before but Ill check them out.