GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Running Speaker Wire Through Doors, How are You Accomplishing?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
How are you accomplishing on the MK7 platform or are you? I am in a planning stage of my Fender upgrade and am looking at running speaker wire through the doors. Looking at the door connector I am seeing drilling on the outside of body connector at top or bottom, keeping enough that keeper that are at 12 and 6 o’clock position have metal to attach to, drill right through connector where there are unused pins, drilling through body and then going into rubber grommet; second option looks the best of drilling through connector. I understand the easy solution is using the existing pins. Not a bad solution particularly on rear doors as I can use both connector pins for tweeter and bass in parallel to input of crossover, but I don’t have that option in the front door and looks like unused pins are tiny. Need one wire on rear door and two wires on front door if I have the crossover in the door, I understand I could use just one and keep crossover in vehicle.

How have others accomplished?

Attachments

• IMG_3515.JPG
    IMG_3515.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What size wiring are you planning to run? Factory wire size (at least for my non-Fender) was 18ga, which should be more than enough, depending on the wiring length.

I did search around and see people doing as you think and drilling out a portion of the connector to pull new wire into the door. I'm of the work smarter, not harder variety. To avoid dealing with the door connectors, I tapped into the factory speaker wiring, which has proven to be more than sufficient.

dmazyn

Passed Driver's Ed
I ran a larger wire than 18G (12G) so I had to drill out some unused holes. Make sure you clear out any slivers of plastic so not to interfere with the other pins/holes. I used a small file and cleaned out the hole I drilled.

Be careful as I bent one of the pins on the inside connector which took me a week to figure out why I was getting a Kessy fault.