GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Always-on power for dash cam?

themyst

Ready to race!
Hi, looking to hardwire my dash cam with parking mode sensors enabled: Does anyone know a good fuse or wire to tap for always-on (not accessory) power?

2016 GTI S

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
This is mine for the Thinkware hardwire.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I have a hardwire tips in my sig. Switched and always on are covered in the image where I show the fuse panel.

Make sure you add something that kills power when your battery drains too low due to the camera always being on. Something like Power Magic Pro. Some of the hardwire kits claim to do this too.

themyst

Ready to race!
I have a hardwire tips in my sig. Switched and always on are covered in the image where I show the fuse panel.

Make sure you add something that kills power when your battery drains too low due to the camera always being on. Something like Power Magic Pro. Some of the hardwire kits claim to do this too.

Thanks for the link!

After reviewing the fuse panel diagram and going off my previous dash cam experience,

Would SC42 work for always-on? It's related to central locking which should presumably be always-on. The amp rating on that fuse is 40A which is way more than what I'd need to power the cam. (Viofo A119 Pro)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7m7wc8rdjxjhutf/2016 MK7 GTI Fuse Panel Guide.pdf?dl=0

It's easy enough to test. :) I'll try and report back.

themyst

Ready to race!
yep the 40A is always-on. SC42 is better and shuts off the 12V outlets as well.

This car was remarkably simple to hard wire for. I recall my BMW was a real pain in the ass.

geo_mk7

Does anyone have a idea of how to tap in to a fuse or make a power socket always have power?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyone have a idea of how to tap in to a fuse or make a power socket always have power?

On my picture above next to the right hand side piggyback fuse there is a green 20A fuse. Simply drop that down one notch to line up with the piggy back fuse holder (you can see the terminal not being used) and you will have permanent live.

geo_mk7

On my picture above next to the right hand side piggyback fuse there is a green 20A fuse. Simply drop that down one notch to line up with the piggy back fuse holder (you can see the terminal not being used) and you will have permanent live.
Do you mean a green 30?