GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #18
ATR
Senior Member
 
Drives: Pure White 2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Location: Baltimore
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,295
Why are we arguing about aftermarket crap vs OEM goodies?

In the end you'll end up spending the money once with OEM or multiple times with aftermarket crap.
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #19
mkygod
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI DSG Autobahn PP, LP, DCC (White 4dr)
Location: Fountain Valley, CA
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 750
For people that went w/ aftermarket tail lights instead of OEM, is there a reason you went for them instead the Chinese OEM VW lights which are about the same price?
mkygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #20
George Ab
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
Location: Pacific NW
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 444
I paid a little over $500 shipped for Golf R European produced tail lights. The lower price is off of eBay from their German site, same seller is slightly higher on US site.
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #21
PouncingPanzer
Senior Member
 
Drives: White '17 GTI Sport 6MT
Location: Cleveland/Amish Country
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF427 View Post
@Merkeyterkey. Good to know, I guess. The "true" OM comes from Mexico w/ the car. Paying a $1K "vig" for DAP OEM's when hard to distinguish from ECS "knockoff" wasn't a great value prop.

@PouncingPanzer. I'd put the ECS Flush-Kit at the top of your list. Yes, the lights are great, but the Flush-Kit is fantastically great.....and cheap!
They are on it still, and at their price I was just going to order them with the lights when I get them, finally. I would like to get a wheel coating on hand to put on my wheels when I go through the motions of removing them. That being said, I need to wait until the weather gets dryer and warmer for a coating install. I don't have a true climate controlled environment for that sorta thing.

I have not forgotten!!
__________________
SAVE THE STICK SHIFT & Stay Shiny My Friends.
PouncingPanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
AKF427
Senior Member
 
Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
Location: Lexington MA
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektZA View Post
12v outlet plug.

The chance of failure with an aftermarket ebay/ali part is much higher than one that's OEM VW - wouldn't you agree?
12V plug. Distracted driving while attempting to insert a power chord, etc. Further distraction while attempting to confirm that power is indeed being transferred. Further, further distraction when jiggling it to make power transfer. BANG you just hit the dude ahead of you & your 100% liable. NEXT.

It's a bit of a blanket statement to suggest aftermarket part failure is higher than OEM? Where is the data to justify that "fact" coming from? The Manufacturer & Dealer charge a premium for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" designation...yet that "equipment" ain't built by the Manufacturer, it is sourced elsewhere. The "content" note upon your sticker suggests %'s for Country of Origin on parts. I doubt the rigid QA guidelines between OEM designated parts and aftermarket parts is a wide chasm. I'd agree, yet I would have had to experience a failure to agree...no? I've not experienced failure.
__________________
"Luck doesn't happen by mistake. Rather, luck is when opportunity meets preparation"
AKF427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #23
AspektZA
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7 SE DSG
Location: Houston
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF427 View Post
12V plug. Distracted driving while attempting to insert a power chord, etc. Further distraction while attempting to confirm that power is indeed being transferred. Further, further distraction when jiggling it to make power transfer. BANG you just hit the dude ahead of you & your 100% liable. NEXT.

It's a bit of a blanket statement to suggest aftermarket part failure is higher than OEM? Where is the data to justify that "fact" coming from? The Manufacturer & Dealer charge a premium for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" designation...yet that "equipment" ain't built by the Manufacturer, it is sourced elsewhere. The "content" note upon your sticker suggests %'s for Country of Origin on parts. I doubt the rigid QA guidelines between OEM designated parts and aftermarket parts is a wide chasm. I'd agree, yet I would have had to experience a failure to agree...no? I've not experienced failure.
Your question was: "What isn't a critical safety item on this car?"
Your ranting didn't really go near that, but rather how people are irresponsible with power cords?

Are you honestly suggesting that the replica taillights made in a ghost factory somewhere in Guangzhou meet the same rigorous design and manufacture standards set by VW engineers and are fulfilled by top tier automotive suppliers like AL or Hella?

You know what, go ahead and do what you like. Maybe when your Golf burns the ground due to dodgy electrics, or you're rear ended by an F-150 because your money saving lights don't work properly you'll realize that "buy once cry once" is a maxim to live by.
AspektZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #24
AKF427
Senior Member
 
Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
Location: Lexington MA
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektZA View Post
Your question was: "What isn't a critical safety item on this car?"
Your ranting didn't really go near that, but rather how people are irresponsible with power cords?

Are you honestly suggesting that the replica taillights made in a ghost factory somewhere in Guangzhou meet the same rigorous design and manufacture standards set by VW engineers and are fulfilled by top tier automotive suppliers like AL or Hella?

You know what, go ahead and do what you like. Maybe when your Golf burns the ground due to dodgy electrics, or you're rear ended by an F-150 because your money saving lights don't work properly you'll realize that "buy once cry once" is a maxim to live by.
Your banter is all personal "op-ed" (opinion editorial).

If you possessed EMPIRICAL facts/data versus conjuring up "burning golf's" & "rear ending F-150" personal fantasies the facts/data would be applicable, your fantasies? Not so much. Please share...facts...not histrionics. I've literally never owned anything motorized/substantive/fueled (Car, Motorcycle, Moped, Snowblower, Leaf-blower) that went up in a "blaze of glory" no matter the ignition source. You have?

My "ranting' is akin to your "fantasizing". Everything/anything can be a critical safety item, no? Likelihood of your burning fantasy emanating from a 12v power source v. a taillight? Factually speaking, I suggested possible safety issues that could arise from a failed 12v power source, not a power cord or the "irresponsibility" of those using such.

Yes, I'm "honest"...thus I don't understand your "honestly suggesting"...ahh, I suggested it, thus I honestly believe it.

If I had to hypothesize, I would "imagine" that all automotive manufactures ---and the majority of aftermarket vendors--- possess rigorous standards. Imagine? Ya, I can probably get you two (2) or sixty-nine million (69,000,000) Takata Airbags "on the cheap"....and that's a FACT.
__________________
"Luck doesn't happen by mistake. Rather, luck is when opportunity meets preparation"
AKF427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #25
AKF427
Senior Member
 
Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
Location: Lexington MA
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 163
FYI:

https://youtu.be/fLKydAgQbOM

https://youtu.be/0w6ZuD0lpYU

My initial engagement into this thread was all about DAP $$$. Above are YouTube links from DAP. The Aftermarket lights are Helix. I bought them from ECS for far less. Don't know how we arrived in "Guangzhou"---that's for the ever sage dude from Houston to answer.

Lastly, wouldn't everything post production/delivery be considered "aftermarket" if it came from DAP or ECS, etc? Only VW Dealerships sell OM "approved" aftermarket "accessory"/"upgrade". DAP & ECS might sell identical items that are literally manufactured on the same floor @ the same time as OEM. Any illumination (The thread is about lights!) would help.
__________________
"Luck doesn't happen by mistake. Rather, luck is when opportunity meets preparation"
AKF427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #26
BxGTI
Senior Member
 
BxGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 VW MK7 GTI, 2017 Audi A4 PP S Line2.0T
Location: Bronx,NY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,797
Not all of Aliexpress items are replicas please let people buy what they want stop being the OEM police.
Also yes OEM lights will fog and leak. I don't We'd to point that out you can search it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 Tornado Red GTI MK7
BxGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #27
AKF427
Senior Member
 
Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
Location: Lexington MA
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxGTI View Post
Not all of Aliexpress items are replicas please let people buy what they want stop being the OEM police.
Also yes OEM lights will fog and leak. I don't We'd to point that out you can search it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ECS & DAP----I never referenced Aliexpress. I honestly/truthfully couldn't give a shit what people buy, unless I need an opinion on a purchase I might be making....don't know how i'm preventing anything. The "OEM Police"...always best to read the thread dude before making comment, otherwise your point is pointless when targeting the wrong poster within a thread. Ah, thanks...but no thanks...I guess.
__________________
"Luck doesn't happen by mistake. Rather, luck is when opportunity meets preparation"
AKF427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #28
BxGTI
Senior Member
 
BxGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 VW MK7 GTI, 2017 Audi A4 PP S Line2.0T
Location: Bronx,NY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF427 View Post
ECS & DAP----I never referenced Aliexpress. I honestly/truthfully couldn't give a shit what people buy, unless I need an opinion on a purchase I might be making....don't know how i'm preventing anything. The "OEM Police"...always best to read the thread dude before making comment, otherwise your point is pointless when targeting the wrong poster within a thread. Ah, thanks...but no thanks...I guess.


Sorry, I wasn't directing this to you , is just that many people believe that anything that is not OEM is bad news


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 Tornado Red GTI MK7
BxGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #29
bayarea7
Senior Member
 
bayarea7's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI S 6 Speed
Location: Bay Area
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 631
Got my Euro golf R's from BEC with no problems and fast shipping

http://www.becautoparts.com/collecti...lights/make_vw
bayarea7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #30
AspektZA
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7 SE DSG
Location: Houston
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKF427 View Post
Your banter is all personal "op-ed" (opinion editorial).

If you possessed EMPIRICAL facts/data versus conjuring up "burning golf's" & "rear ending F-150" personal fantasies the facts/data would be applicable, your fantasies? Not so much. Please share...facts...not histrionics. I've literally never owned anything motorized/substantive/fueled (Car, Motorcycle, Moped, Snowblower, Leaf-blower) that went up in a "blaze of glory" no matter the ignition source. You have?

My "ranting' is akin to your "fantasizing". Everything/anything can be a critical safety item, no? Likelihood of your burning fantasy emanating from a 12v power source v. a taillight? Factually speaking, I suggested possible safety issues that could arise from a failed 12v power source, not a power cord or the "irresponsibility" of those using such.

Yes, I'm "honest"...thus I don't understand your "honestly suggesting"...ahh, I suggested it, thus I honestly believe it.

If I had to hypothesize, I would "imagine" that all automotive manufactures ---and the majority of aftermarket vendors--- possess rigorous standards. Imagine? Ya, I can probably get you two (2) or sixty-nine million (69,000,000) Takata Airbags "on the cheap"....and that's a FACT.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=melted+harness+aftermarket

Guangzhou is a major manufacturing city in the PRC. There's plenty of cut rate factories out there turning out knock offs of LV bags, car parts, eBay specials, etc.

The inherent risk of buying cut rate auto parts vs. OEM VW is too great for some, me included.

You absolutely deserve what happens to you when you're cutting corners.

Go ahead and buy Chinese tires, Fram filters, discount oil, and shady ebay/ali stuff. I couldn't care less.

"Lastly, wouldn't everything post production/delivery be considered "aftermarket" if it came from DAP or ECS, etc? Only VW Dealerships sell OM "approved" aftermarket "accessory"/"upgrade". DAP & ECS might sell identical items that are literally manufactured on the same floor @ the same time as OEM."

Not even close, friendo.

There's a huge difference in a VW stamped OEM part and a knock off bit sourced from who knows where in Asia.

VW OEM parts were engineered to meet VW AG specs as well as EU/North American regulations for safety along with the intent of being a warrantied part where fitted from the factory. VW has an incentive to design and then source a high quality part from its suppliers that would give its customers a reasonable service life.

The Chinese knock offs are only out to get your money, and don't give a rat's ass about how well it works for you.

Do what you think is best, because it seems like you've got all the answers and the questions.
AspektZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:33 AM   #31
AKF427
Senior Member
 
Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
Location: Lexington MA
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxGTI View Post
Sorry, I wasn't directing this to you , is just that many people believe that anything that is not OEM is bad news


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@BxGTI....No worries, sorry for confusion. I fully concur....a healthy number of very credible companies provide aftermarket products/upgrades for our cars.

OEM is a nifty acronym. The OM has zero vested interested in aftermarket "anything" except, seemingly, for rims and sub woofers that replace spare donuts. But, fear not!!! AspekZA has data to prove your 10x more likely to burn your GTI to the ground due to aftermarket taillights then get a flat tire!!! He's got the "Fake News" DATA to prove his claims!!!
__________________
"Luck doesn't happen by mistake. Rather, luck is when opportunity meets preparation"
AKF427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:11 AM   #32
AKF427
Senior Member
 
Drives: 16 VW GTI 6spd | '17 Audi Q7 Prem+/Virtual Cockpit
Location: Lexington MA
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektZA View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=melted+harness+aftermarket

Guangzhou is a major manufacturing city in the PRC. There's plenty of cut rate factories out there turning out knock offs of LV bags, car parts, eBay specials, etc.

The inherent risk of buying cut rate auto parts vs. OEM VW is too great for some, me included.

You absolutely deserve what happens to you when you're cutting corners.

Go ahead and buy Chinese tires, Fram filters, discount oil, and shady ebay/ali stuff. I couldn't care less.

"Lastly, wouldn't everything post production/delivery be considered "aftermarket" if it came from DAP or ECS, etc? Only VW Dealerships sell OM "approved" aftermarket "accessory"/"upgrade". DAP & ECS might sell identical items that are literally manufactured on the same floor @ the same time as OEM."

Not even close, friendo.

There's a huge difference in a VW stamped OEM part and a knock off bit sourced from who knows where in Asia.

VW OEM parts were engineered to meet VW AG specs as well as EU/North American regulations for safety along with the intent of being a warrantied part where fitted from the factory. VW has an incentive to design and then source a high quality part from its suppliers that would give its customers a reasonable service life.

The Chinese knock offs are only out to get your money, and don't give a rat's ass about how well it works for you.

Do what you think is best, because it seems like you've got all the answers and the questions.
What are you babbling about? Read the thread dude-ski. You're frothing about China & dubious manufacturing. No doubt, you get what you pay for...and China (AMONG OTHER COUNTRIES) has changed the proverb "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" to "Imitation is a dangerous form of not flattering a personal checking account balance".

My initial comment upon this thread was re: pricing on DAP aftermarket taillights. I personally bought ECS aftermarket taillights that were identical & less costly. NOT a "knock off" I found upon Aliexpress, and I've never bought anything on EBAY.

You've yet to offer a FACT. You've reiterated that China = bad. I've no opinion on that sentiment. Please, enlighten us all. Where are VW Taillights manufactured sourced from? Where are the aftermarket DAP & ECS taillights sourced from? FYI I'm asking questions, thus I don't possess the answers, albeit you're seemingly convinced I have "all the answers and the questions". Big guy...you make statements that you're incapable of providing any reasonable---factual---"anything" to support. No question, you absolutely serve the "I read it on the Internetwebnetforum, so it must be TRUE!!!" adage.

For the sake of simplicity, Google "VW Car Fire"...the organic results of relevance to this thread...a donut! Place the same search criteria into YouTube...and the most recent upload with the largest view count is....

https://youtu.be/9YinuLMMKzE

You possess a belief. Factually support that belief Cowboy!! (This has run it's course if y'all ain't got no FACTS)...I'm hungry, Chinese Food anybody???
__________________
"Luck doesn't happen by mistake. Rather, luck is when opportunity meets preparation"
AKF427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #33
BxGTI
Senior Member
 
BxGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 VW MK7 GTI, 2017 Audi A4 PP S Line2.0T
Location: Bronx,NY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,797
My 2 year old IPhone is from China

AFK427 we're good :-) just wanted to be clear on that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 Tornado Red GTI MK7
BxGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #34
AtlantaDad
Senior Member
 
Drives: Night Blue 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP LP
Location: Atlanta, GA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxGTI View Post
My 2 year old IPhone is from China

AFK427 we're good :-) just wanted to be clear on that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iPhone? Dude you didn't need to lose any more credibility.
__________________
2016 GTI NB PP LP | Cobb AP w/ MAPerformance Stage 1 | AFE drop-in w/ snow guard delete | (Im)patiently waiting on MAPerformance Catted/Resonated DP

Thou shalt read this first: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18297
AtlantaDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.