GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf R Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 AM   #1
rr1santos

Drives: golf r
downpipes

So I am looking for a downpipe and going through different websites, there is a fair amount of them out there...catted, catless, resonated, non resonated.

I definitely want to go catless (aware of CEL but shoot be remedied with spacer to my understanding).

My question is what is the big major difference in downpipe for example the CTS 3.5" for 479$ and AWE downpipe for 1300$..and better yet any of them in between.

I like the idea that CTS is 3.5" but I would like to retain the stock muffler for now as i'm going for a sleeper build for now..I do like the idea of those valved exhausts but I know that catbacks don't really add performance...just sound. I would think the only issue I would run into is the pipe size connecting to stock muffler

any tips, experiences, suggestion would help

thanks
2016 Oryx White R Base MT / GIAC STAGE 2 "SPICY" FILE / GIAC FLASHLOADER MOBILE / STACKED BMS JB4 / Neuspeed Intake / 034 motorsports dogbone insert / ED eMMOTION / CircuitWerks Catless Downpipe / OEM res delete / BFI stage 3 clutch / CTS Turbo rear subframe inserts / CTS Turbo TIP / CTS Turbo TMD / Spulen adjustable shifter / BMS meth kit CM5
rr1santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
Chronic

Drives: 2016 GOLF R DSG PURE WHITE
CTS will bolt right up to stock exhaust no issues while your under thee mine as well do the res delete as well from audi
CTS Catless Downpipe,CTS Cold Air Intake,CTS TMD,CTS TIP,CTS TOP,CTS Throttle Pipe,CTS Crank Pulley,Audi Resonator Delete,Unitronic Stage 2 Ecu/Tcu,Centre Console Opened,Tinted Windows 5%Back 20%Front
034 Motorsport Dogbone,034 Motorsport Rear Sub Frame Mounts,034 Strut Mounts&Bearings,Emmanuele Design Springs,NGK RS7 Plugs,More Mods Coming.....
Chronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
rr1santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic View Post
CTS will bolt right up to stock exhaust no issues while your under thee mine as well do the res delete as well from audi
I was actually considering that route HAHAH. does the cts 3.5" catless dp taper to 2.5" or 3"?? im curious how that will effect backpressure and what not
2016 Oryx White R Base MT / GIAC STAGE 2 "SPICY" FILE / GIAC FLASHLOADER MOBILE / STACKED BMS JB4 / Neuspeed Intake / 034 motorsports dogbone insert / ED eMMOTION / CircuitWerks Catless Downpipe / OEM res delete / BFI stage 3 clutch / CTS Turbo rear subframe inserts / CTS Turbo TIP / CTS Turbo TMD / Spulen adjustable shifter / BMS meth kit CM5
Old 02-17-2017, 04:26 AM   #4
Chronic

3" have had 0 issues like the sound of it got just the right exhaust note now
CTS Catless Downpipe,CTS Cold Air Intake,CTS TMD,CTS TIP,CTS TOP,CTS Throttle Pipe,CTS Crank Pulley,Audi Resonator Delete,Unitronic Stage 2 Ecu/Tcu,Centre Console Opened,Tinted Windows 5%Back 20%Front
034 Motorsport Dogbone,034 Motorsport Rear Sub Frame Mounts,034 Strut Mounts&Bearings,Emmanuele Design Springs,NGK RS7 Plugs,More Mods Coming.....
Old 02-17-2017, 04:28 AM   #5
rr1santos

Quote:
3" have had 0 issues like the sound of it got just the right exhaust note now
got it. I wont be stage to for a bit..i just installed the jb4 yesterday..i should expect CEL correct?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:46 AM   #6
Chronic

Some get them and some dont
Old 02-17-2017, 04:46 AM   #7
Chronic

Some guys put a spacer on
Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 AM   #8
rr1santos

Quote:
Some guys put a spacer on
okay..is there a big performance difference between catless and a well designed catted dp?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 AM   #9
Chronic

I've only ever went Catless on every Downpipe my theory is the faster the exhaust can get out with 0 restriction better for the car
Old 02-17-2017, 05:06 AM   #10
rr1santos

Quote:
I've only ever went Catless on every Downpipe my theory is the faster the exhaust can get out with 0 restriction better for the car
that is the theory I've adapted..i just never throw a CEL on my 08 Miata. just worried the computer in the R will mess up if I throw one.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 AM   #11
Chronic

I ran a cell with Uni 1+ till I flashed stage 2
Ran 4000km like that
Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #12
Excelerate Rep

Drives: Audi's and VW's
You will not see worthy gains from going catless compared to a high flow cat, plus the car will stink, I for one can't stand the smell, but I have been known to be picky

Spacers don't always work on these cars from my prior experience. Or they do for a while but then the light comes on a few thousand miles later. I usually recommend a downpipe like AWE Tuning's downpipe if you don't want the CEL to come on without a spacer. They guarantee it.

I do not recommend running a downpipe on these cars without the proper software to match, these cars are quite sophisticated and reference too many data points to create a desired torque model. So if one or two sensors are reading properly, the car will not reach is true potential and can even run lean in many conditions. We have seen it quite a few times.

24/7 Online Store | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | You Tube | Flickr
Excelerate Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #13
Clapperhighs

Drives: '15 Audi S3 / 1983 Porsche 944
I'll leave this here.. this is what i plan to do once i flash to stage 2. Hard to beat an HPA pipe for this price. Looks sweet too.

http://streetandtracksolutions.com/p...ownpipe-no-cat

Mods: Eurodyne 1.5 : P3 VIDI Gauge : Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Conversion Kit : AFE Intake : 034 Insert : ECS Flush kit : Pirelli PZ4
Clapperhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #14
rr1santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelerate Rep View Post
You will not see worthy gains from going catless compared to a high flow cat, plus the car will stink, I for one can't stand the smell, but I have been known to be picky

Spacers don't always work on these cars from my prior experience. Or they do for a while but then the light comes on a few thousand miles later. I usually recommend a downpipe like AWE Tuning's downpipe if you don't want the CEL to come on without a spacer. They guarantee it.

I do not recommend running a downpipe on these cars without the proper software to match, these cars are quite sophisticated and reference too many data points to create a desired torque model. So if one or two sensors are reading properly, the car will not reach is true potential and can even run lean in many conditions. We have seen it quite a few times.
I really don't want smell. So which high flow cat dp is effective and cost efficient? No
Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 PM   #15
Chronic

I very rarely smell anything but if you don't like it you can always change it out for the catted which I believe they use magnaflow high flow cat and it's an extra $100
Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #16
Excelerate Rep

Drives: Audi's and VW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr1santos View Post
I really don't want smell. So which high flow cat dp is effective and cost efficient? No
You're definitely going to get that smell without a cat, and even with cheaper high flow cats. Usually in this instance you aren't going to get premium results for lesser money. I wish it were that easy.

24/7 Online Store | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | You Tube | Flickr
Excelerate Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #17
rr1santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelerate Rep View Post
You're definitely going to get that smell without a cat, and even with cheaper high flow cats. Usually in this instance you aren't going to get premium results for lesser money. I wish it were that easy.
so i should be looking at awe or milltek for premium high flow cat.