GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Day time running lights off?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
DRL's are mandatory in Canada and several other countries - but not in the US. You can disable them as stated above. Their sole purpose is so that you are SEEN by other drivers. As long as you trust that everyone around you will always see you in every situation - by all means turn them off.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I was also wondering why the OP would want to turn them off, when they’re there to increase your car’s visibility to others.

Well I never need day time running lights. I just would the option of turning them off. And if you can't see
A 2ton vehicle on the road. You probably shouldn't be driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m perfectly able to see a two ton vehicle, but why make it more difficult for the two ton vehicle, or any other vehicle or pedestrian for that matter, to see you by turning your day time running lights off? They’re fitted to your car for a reason.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Well I never need day time running lights. I just would the option of turning them off. And if you can't see
A 2ton vehicle on the road. You probably shouldn't be driving

Uhhh... Yeah... Ok.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Problem with studies is the investigator has a premise in this case drl is safer and will only report the data to support their viewpoint. If there is contradictory analysis they don't report it. That's why one day coffee is good for you and the next day it is bad. You can see it with climate stuff. 97% only agree that the earth is warming but there is no 97% on the reason why but you wouldn't know that listening to msm

It makes no sense to me that in broad daylight those stupid running lights are going to make any difference at all. They aren't that bright. Anyway if it's true drl are a safety feature would not fully on headlights be better. If so why are they not required?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I agree with you on the idea that studies and data can be misleading.
But increased visibility to other drivers is increased visibility to other drivers.
There are certainly no negatives to that.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
there are lots of folks driving 2 ton vehicles that should not be driving. Do what you want but in the don't do this camp.

or you could just tint the heck out of them.......:)
Pretty much bang on, autolites: yes, DRLs: not a fan. Slghtly irrelevant as so many idiots don't even look, stay sharp, people....

cb1111

Problem with studies is the investigator has a premise in this case drl is safer and will only report the data to support their viewpoint. If there is contradictory analysis they don't report it. That's why one day coffee is good for you and the next day it is bad. You can see it with climate stuff. 97% only agree that the earth is warming but there is no 97% on the reason why but you wouldn't know that listening to msm

It makes no sense to me that in broad daylight those stupid running lights are going to make any difference at all. They aren't that bright. Anyway if it's true drl are a safety feature would not fully on headlights be better. If so why are they not required?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
You know, if only one country required DRLs then your conspiracy theory might make sense - but DRLs are mandated in Europe, Canada and many other countries. Studies were conducted in those countries and each study concluded that DRLs reduce accidents.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Pretty much bang on, autolites: yes, DRLs: not a fan. Slghtly irrelevant as so many idiots don't even look, stay sharp, people....

DRL's are there to catch the eyes of the idiots who don't look.
They are the people we are worried about.
Not the people who are paying attention.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Still why would one need the “option” to turn them off? Does your car actually look more stylish with them off? Is it considered dorky to be safer? Or is this for sneaking up on people and doing shady things?... drive bys?

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Not related but from a safety perspective I would like to see the government mandate the feature that automatically stops the car because seeing idiots texting while driving is nearly a daily event for me.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Still why would one need the “option” to turn them off? Does your car actually look more stylish with them off? Is it considered dorky to be safer? Or is this for sneaking up on people and doing shady things?... drive bys?

I like to have the option to turn them off, my reason being that living in a dense city where parking is a nightmare and people are hungry for parking, in my case I park and stay in the car a lot because I do a lot of paperwork in it so I like to leave my car on and turn off the lights so that people don’t think that I’m leaving and park behind me just to realize that I’m not leaving and get rightfully mad about it, I turn off the DRL’s since they are so bright with the headlights off it’s like an insect light and you have people asking if you are leaving every 5 seconds, that’s my reason but others will have theirs, now I’m a huge believer that they are actually need it and can save you from a bad time

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I like to have the option to turn them off, my reason being that living in a dense city where parking is a nightmare and people are hungry for parking, in my case I park and stay in the car a lot because I do a lot of paperwork in it so I like to leave my car on and turn off the lights so that people don’t think that I’m leaving and park behind me just to realize that I’m not leaving and get rightfully mad about it, I turn off the DRL’s since they are so bright with the headlights off it’s like an insect light and you have people asking if you are leaving every 5 seconds, that’s my reason but others will have theirs, now I’m a huge believer that they are actually need it and can save you from a bad time

If you set the parking brake the DRL's turn off, are you sure people aren't coming up to you because they see your brake lights on? Either way just use the parking brake and problem solved.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
If you set the parking brake the DRL's turn off, are you sure people aren't coming up to you because they see your brake lights on? Either way just use the parking brake and problem solved.

Yep, you are correct, the only issue is that my GTI is not my daily driver I use a different car as daily and it doesn’t disable the light with the parking brake but it does have the option to turn them off via the MMI, sorry that I wasn’t clear about that

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Yep, you are correct, the only issue is that my GTI is not my daily driver I use a different car as daily and it doesn’t disable the light with the parking brake but it does have the option to turn them off via the MMI, sorry that I wasn’t clear about that

No worries, that's bizarre the Audi keeps them on with the parking brake. I guess just one more thing they wanted as different.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
No worries, that's bizarre the Audi keeps them on with the parking brake. I guess just one more thing they wanted as different.

Yeah, I would prefer them off with the parking brake instead but it takes a second to turn them on again.