GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogbone insert

Hotfart

Ready to race!
What makes this bushing better than Spulen? Do you have one installed?

I have the Powerflex hybrid puck, and think it's fantastic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Spulen is just an insert for the lower puck. The Powerflex is a complete lower puck replacement, and at the same time also incorporates an insert for the upper puck. As far as I know, Powerflex is currently the only company who offers this design of puck.

Previously I've had the 034 insert, HPA puck/arm, and the Revo puck, and so far the Powerflex is definitely my favorite. Minimal NVH at idle, and the performance is great. See my thread about it here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39363

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Could be a bad batch too, as this is the first I have heard of 034 inserts failing in the threads I have heard of them both here and on vortex.

There are lots of accounts of bent 034 inserts.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
My 034 insert worked well...for the first couple launches. Then it bent and became much less effective. Had to pry it out when I tried to remove it. When I asked them about it bending, they said it's "normal". It's not a bad piece...it's cheap, and it does help some, but there's much better solutions out there. That being said, having a Golf R in itself pretty much solves the wheelhop problem, so maybe the 034 would be a good choice for the R (vs the GTI).

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I'm curious on your mods and/or driving style that may be contributing to the failures.

I'd be willing to bet that the failure rates on the 034 dogbone, comparative to how many people are running them, is very low. I know and have seen failures occur, but not sure that's commonplace.

I'll also assume that 034 has no issue offering a replacement for failed units?
JB4, dead set, RSB, 034 subframe mounts, 034 engine/trans mounts, 034 dogbone. I am no Prius driver but I don't launch the car either. I'd classify myself as a responsible aggressive driver, if there is such term :D
Failure was very common, especially with their first (thin) revision. My first revision bent and cracked on both sides. Replaced under their warranty.

The Spulen is an insert. I have an IE insert. This is a full replacement. The thread here has really good things to say about the Powerflex.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39363
I somehow missed that part. For some reason I thought it was something similar to Spulen insert. Thanks for clarifying.
Could be a bad batch too, as this is the first I have heard of 034 inserts failing in the threads I have heard of them both here and on vortex.
Revision 1 was problematic, especially when tuned. Revision 2 supposedly better/thicker, but still...

I have the Powerflex hybrid puck, and think it's fantastic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Spulen is just an insert for the lower puck. The Powerflex is a complete lower puck replacement, and at the same time also incorporates an insert for the upper puck. As far as I know, Powerflex is currently the only company who offers this design of puck.

Previously I've had the 034 insert, HPA puck/arm, and the Revo puck, and so far the Powerflex is definitely my favorite. Minimal NVH at idle, and the performance is great. See my thread about it here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39363

Thanks for the feedback. How many miles do you have on it? How is it holding up?

Last edited:

EmptyHeaded

Passed Driver's Ed
So if the 034 bends what's the best inserts
I'll still maintain that 034 has probably sold thousands of inserts, with overall failure rates likely making up a small percentage overall.

I would have no problem picking up one of their inserts (and likely will), especially given the fact that 034 stands behind their products 100%.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I'm using the 034 insert and FWIW it think the "bending" issue is really due to the slop in the stock engine/trans mounts. My 034 is perfectly fine and I've had it on for thousands of miles of spirited driving, but I'm also running upgraded engine/trans mounts which definitely reduce the engine rotation.

Kyle_Kelso

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running stock power levels and rarely launch the car so wheel hop isn't my main concern but I find the mounts to be very soft in this car and hard shifts from 1-2 feel like the engine and trans are slamming into the back of the mounts. I don't want to generate a bunch more NVH as we put a lot of miles on the car but I also don't really want to fork out all the money for a full set of upgraded mounts.

To those who have tried them with stock tunes and/or manual trans, do you think a dogbone inert is a good choise or would you recommend a replacement mount if leaving the other mounts stock.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Sorry, didn't realize this was the R thread from searching in tapatalk... Should have clued in. My car is a GTI.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
RocEuro MQB drivetrain stabilizer

So this replaces the entire piece with one piece of metal? I havent seen a lot of reviews on this.

Had the 034 for a few years now and wouldn't hesitate getting another as it ads no NVH at all and transforms the drive for so little money.

Take it out and see how bent it is..

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
So this replaces the entire piece with one piece of metal? I havent seen a lot of reviews on this.

A search will show a few threads on it.

Many here have it, but many were also scared off by GolfWang’s experience when his tranny housing cracked with the RE bar on.

The more knowledgeable here question the the RE’s solid piece design as it doesn't leave any room for movement.