GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WANTED: "Kencha" Turn Signal Coder - Chicago/Western Suburbs

dhoosee

I saw a white MK7 GTI with "sequential" turn signals the other day, and they blew me away (Oakbrook area on Butterfield Road).

A quick Google turned up "Kencha" tail light coding (also saw "Urban Joke"), and found that they're programmed with the OBD11 tool (which I dont have) and some lines of code.

I would love to have this done to my car, and would compensate anyone who has done this to their car. Email or message me if you're interested..I'll travel to you.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/layiwsIq1mk

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I've done the Kencha tails on my car. I'm nowhere near you though, and I doubt you want to drive for 12 hrs for that lol. You can do the coding with an OBDEleven. It's like $60 for the Pro version. There's so many more tweaks that can be done with it also

dhoosee

Hmmm....Im not COMPLETELY against a 12-hour drive! LOL!

I would invest in OBDEleven without hesitation, but if I"m not mistaken, it is only Android compatible, and I use an iPhone. Im guessing that the Kencha mod isn't throwing any weird fault lights at you?

I appreciate the input, Reggie. Thank you!

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Hmmm....Im not COMPLETELY against a 12-hour drive! LOL!

I would invest in OBDEleven without hesitation, but if I"m not mistaken, it is only Android compatible, and I use an iPhone. Im guessing that the Kencha mod isn't throwing any weird fault lights at you?

I appreciate the input, Reggie. Thank you!

Yup, it's only compatible with Android. That's because of the way that iOS handles bluetooth.
It doesn't cause any fault codes. You are changing the coding for the taillights using options that are already present in the control module. You are telling the module when to activate the taillights and how long to activate them for.

Another tweak that goes well with any of the turn signal patterns is the 5 brake light mod. It turns on all of the taillights when braking. When you have the Kencha tails added, the outside light will blink when braking and using the turn signal, but will go back to the Kencha pattern when you let off the brake.

You can pick up a cheap Android tablet for around $50. It will work well enough for using OBDEleven. It's worth the investment. You'll be able to code all sorts of things and check diagnostic codes as well as having live data readouts.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Doesn't that wig-wag your brake lights? Automatic ticket if the cops see you.

Nope, the brake lights don't flash or alternate with this. When using the turn signal, the lights alternate, but when you apply the brakes while using the turn signal only one blinks as a turn signal. Add the 5 brake light mod and 4 lights are used as brake lights and one as a turn signal when signaling and braking.

dhoosee

I went ahead and picked up
a Samsung tablet and the OBD Eleven gear. Lots of fun doing the mods, and well worth the investment. Love my Urban Joke tails, and some of the others installed.
Some users complain about the cost for credits to use the app feature, but it’s dirt cheap to pick up credits. I understand the principle that if you buy the unit, you shouldn’t have to pay anything more for the apps. IMO, it’s well worth it to not have to mess with coding myself, and potentially screw up my car in the process! I’ll leave the coding to the pros and pay the very slight toll for their coding expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk