GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how long have you stuck with vw/gti's?

bennybmn

Ready to race!
Learned to drive (early 90s) on my dad's 85 Jetta. He then got a 91 passat wagon used when I was in college. Got an 01 GLX after I graduated, a couple company cars and a Civic later I had an '11 Jetta TDI, then the buyback afforded me my Alltrack 6mt.

Before all that, my dad had a couple beetles, one imported from Germany before he shipped off to the shit, and my grandfather had one of the first beetles in the US when my dad was a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
My parents had a 69 fastback when I was in middle school. Then my mom bought a 67 bug. I built my 68 bug in 92 as my first car. Drove that for a couple years then wanted something newer and bought an 85 Honda Accord which was a total pile of shit. Convinced my dad to sell me his 95 Jetta, so he bought a 98 Passat. I drove that Jetta from 98 until 2005 when I bought a 2004.5 GLI. Drove that GLI until 2011 when I bought my TDI Golf. Drove the TDI until 2015 when I bought my R. Have no plans to get rid of my R any time soon :)

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
This is my first GTI, at 5 months and 5500 miles. Before this I had a 99 Golf Wolfsburg 2.Slow 5 Speed that I owned for technically 4 years, but was only able to drive it for 2. My dad bought it for me when I was 14 with a broken timing belt and bent valves. He instructed me on how to take off the head, and then how to put it all back together once the head was back from the machine shop. Wasn't able to start driving it till 16, and for those two years it served as my dads non-truck transportation, as well as I learned to drive on the streets with it.

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
I've been with VW since '78-
My first VW was a 1978 RABBIT
My first GTI was an 83, in silver, with that lovely K-jetronic fuel injection system(bundle of stainless steel hoses)....
Great little cars!

rg2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Since 1999. I had a 2000 Golf TDI, 2000 Passat 1.8T. Now have a 2012 JSW TDI and a 2016 GTI.

My father had a 1961 (or so) Beetle and a 1971 (or 72?) Super Beetle.

shamibal

Passed Driver's Ed
My family has owned multiple VW over the years
1. 1985 VW quantum, terrible car
2.2002 VW passat W8, a great car
3. 2008 VW passat wagon, i.e a rattle wagon
4. 2010 VW GTI, sold it for a 2013 mustang GT, made a big mistake. the VW GTI was slower but its interior and overall fit and finish was miles over the stang
5. 2011 VW Toaureg, still have it, a workhorse, great SUV
6. 2013 VW CC, great car
7. 2016 VW Golf R, the best car I have driven, currently lightly modding it.
We basically are a VW family thru and thru

barische

Go Kart Champion
Im currently in the market.. i miss my old one

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Negative time? I haven't started yet, lol...but the 18 GTI will be my first.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
This is my first and, I must say, I'm hooked. For the price, I don't think many cars come close in terms of a balance between refinement, performance, and upgrade potential.

Until the day VW reintroduces the 2 door (or scirocco?) to the US market or the day I can afford a Porsche, I don't see myself getting rid of this one until (or if) it becomes a repair money pit.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

My Mk7 is my first GTI, a 2017 Sport that I bought it in November 2016. Not sure why I waited so long! Before that:

1973 Beetle (1986)
1992 Golf GL (1995-1998)
1998 Jetta TDI (1998-Present)
2003 Passat GL (2002-2014... wife's)
2014 Jetta TDI (2014-2016)
2014 Jetta TDI (2014-Present... wife's)

I had a couple of Nissans in the early 1990s, but the VW community (as a whole) cannot be matched in camaraderie and technical assistance with problems. Aftermarket support is great, too! Once I had VCDS and a host of special tools, I told my wife that she can drive any car she wants as long as it has a V and a W on the front of it. :D

Scott

BigMac629

Passed Driver's Ed
My first VW was an ‘04 GLI but this is my first GTI. I had a slight departure in between for a family car but quickly found my way back once I realized my mistake [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VentoGT

Ready to race!
Like many others in this thread, I have ventured around [all German except when I lived in the islands--Honda Pilot which was a great car for that hilly place] but am back at VW:

Jetta 2.Slow Mk3--First Car - 5spd
Porsche 996 C2 - 6spd
Porsche 993 - 6spd
Porsche 968 - 6spd
BMW e36M3 - SMG [fast but no thanks on the transmission]
BMW e34M5 [Honestly my favorite car ever and if I didn't live in a salty snowy place would own one as my daily today] - 5spd
Porsche 356 - 4spd
Porsche 3.2 Carrera - 5spd
Honda Pilot [USVI] - auto
VW Mk6 GTI - 6spd
Audi D3 S8 - auto [actually loved this car but repairs were getting eyewatering...also the only auto I actually didn't wish I had a manual transmission for as well]
VW Sportwagen 4mo 6spd

The Sportwagen will be the first car that I mod anything more than springs/wheels/etc to as I see what is possible and want to make it a bit faster and more fun, but I love it out of the box, even with it's stripper-ness given that 3 pedals was a must for me. As many have mentioned, VW is in a unique category [in the US at least] offering sporty, interesting, manual transmission cars with tight handling and nice styling at an affordable price.