GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud bang from engine bay at highway speeds...

BigMac629

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone. I'm totally stumped on this, and I can't find a topic that describes the issue I experienced (which, honestly, is probably a good thing).

This morning on my way into work, I was on the highway (driving ~70mph) and out of nowhere I heard a loud BANG from my engine bay. My car jolted forward very slightly, but it wasn't anything serious - the sound was way more concerning. If you had played me the sound of what happened and told me that someone's engine blew while driving, I would have believed you...

Immediately after the sound, I looked in my rear view and couldn't see any debris or objects in the road. The car was driving normally, but the experience was so jarring that I pulled over onto the shoulder to inspect the car. I walked around the outside, opened the hood and got onto the ground to check out the under carriage - there was no visible damage or anything missing from the car that I could see.

I was only a couple of miles from work, so I figured I would drive the rest of the way and figure out if I could replicate the behavior (probably not the smartest move in case there was something seriously wrong). I finished my commute uneventfully - no noises, no suspension issues, no issues with the car holding its boost... I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I drove both at highway speeds and on back roads to test the car in a variety of conditions...

So my question is basically... what the hell?! I have no idea what could have caused this bang that I heard. My car is mostly stock (no tune). Can anyone help here? Has this happened to anyone else?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I am willing to bet you hit something, if something were to fall off and make such a loud noise you'd notice said part missing.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Maybe could have been a rock or something you just didn't see?

Sent using Pied Piper middle out compression app

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

BigMac629

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe could have been a rock or something you just didn't see?

Sent using Pied Piper middle out compression app

If it was a rock, the thing must have been a boulder. I wish I could find a proper description for the noise. If it was a rock, something had to have broken in the engine bay. At least no one with the same experience has popped in yet with a horror story...

The aliens hypothesis is intriguing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Maybe a wheel balancing weight flew off?

Maybe a backfire?

Maybe you're lying about 70mph and you broke the sound barrier?

Or maybe...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mattd502

Ready to race!
You would be surprised how loud rocks can sound when they hit just right. Could have been one hitting your roof or windshield and you just didn't notice. Take a good look for dents/gouges in both.

this is very true last rock that hit my windshield sounded like a gunshot and scared the absolute shit out of me, got my heart beating and everything

Wrr1020

Ready to race!
Did you go over any kind of bump or uneven pavement on the highway? Expansion joints? Or was it completely smooth road? I noticed you have VWR springs and I've experienced this same thing in the past after I got those springs installed. The first time it happened I also pulled over thinking I broke something on the car.

The sound that happens sounds like a strut bottoming out and hitting metal of some kind. It's extremely loud and unnerving.

BigMac629

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you go over any kind of bump or uneven pavement on the highway? Expansion joints? Or was it completely smooth road? I noticed you have VWR springs and I've experienced this same thing in the past after I got those springs installed. The first time it happened I also pulled over thinking I broke something on the car.

The sound that happens sounds like a strut bottoming out and hitting metal of some kind. It's extremely loud and unnerving.

It was 5:45 am and there may have been 10 other cars on the road, but none of them near me. I didn't notice any truck tire debris, but it could be a possibility. It was also completely even pavement (one of the few smooth areas around D.C.!). I must have hit something and maybe bottomed out? It didn't sound like that to me, but I suppose it's the only reasonable explanation... unless my car starts smoking tomorrow [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdecals

At the 6 second mark you can see the truck run something over. Watch the trucks mud flap. Rear view shows something weird around the trucks tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dubluvin life

Passed Driver's Ed
Big decals is right... and if you slow it down you can see a rock or some object (possible UFO?) on a high downward arc that hits the truck tire and mud flap and that's where the sound came from. From the size of the object you're lucky it didn't hit your car