GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Music on SD card. Problems. Media keeps resetting.

KHouldey

Backup made. Currently removing all of the album covers using MP3tag.

Currently my system resets my SD card every 2-3 drives but yesterday I experienced this around 4 times. I'll see how things fare without cover art and report back. I'm expecting similar results to Dave H so hopefully after a couple of days I should know whether or not this is a fix for now :)

Is anyone else in the UK experiencing these issues? Any luck getting info out of VW regarding the 0755 update?

EDIT - Removing album art from 8334 albums took up an entire shift at work!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm hoping to get "version 8" for my MIB 1 Discover (basic sat nav not Pro) fitted when I get my car serviced later this month as I have muting/volume problems...

As for SD cards & album art etc. never any problems so far...

Mind you 500x500 pixels & 99kb max size of art, & all tagging etc done by dbpoweramp...

I this this programme to rip, tag , batch convert & downsize art which is embedded with bought downloads. Otherwise I scan my CD covers & used Photoshop..

Home hifi is FLAC so the batch converter to mp3 for the car is great...I use constant bit rate & 320...

Plus I only use Sandisc extreme 3/10 32gb cards...

Last edited:

FPP

Passed Driver's Ed
I never had the problem with my SD card, but I have the identical problem with my USB flash drive. Doesn't happen often, but occasionally it starts at the first song of first album. It's a 128gb stick that's about 1/4 to 1/3 full. I am using all .wav files because the limitations on .mp3 caused the system to not play some of the songs.

KHouldey

I'm hoping to get "version 8" for my MIB 1 Discover (basic sat nav not Pro) fitted when I get my car serviced later this month as I have muting/volume problems...

As for SD cards & album art etc. never any problems so far...

Mind you 500x500 pixels & 99kb max size of art, & all tagging etc done by dbpoweramp...

I this this programme to rip, tag , batch convert & downsize art which is embedded with bought downloads. Otherwise I scan my CD covers & used Photoshop..

Home hifi is FLAC so the batch converter to mp3 for the car is great...I use constant bit rate & 320...

Plus I only use Sandisc extreme 3/10 32gb cards...

Maybe this is an issue specific to MIB2 in that case? It seems that any images at all can screw things up.

KHouldey

I never had the problem with my SD card, but I have the identical problem with my USB flash drive. Doesn't happen often, but occasionally it starts at the first song of first album. It's a 128gb stick that's about 1/4 to 1/3 full. I am using all .wav files because the limitations on .mp3 caused the system to not play some of the songs.

Interesting that it only affects your drive and not the SD card. The issue I have seems to affect both. I've tried a number of SD cards and USB drives and the issue remains. The only thing to try now is no album art!

KHouldey

UPDATE

Turns out using MP3tag to remove all the art isn't enough! After trying the SD card in my car yesterday, I noticed that tons of the albums still have album art. For anyone wanting to know how to COMPLETELY remove all traces of the album art, I've written a checklist below (as it took me ages to find out how to rectify this!).

Some notes:
-Most importantly, this is all theoretical for now. I haven't had chance to test this properly but it seems to be working for Dave H! Will feedback after I've done a proper test as I have a lot of driving to do this weekend!
-This is just a temporary fix to get the SD card to work as it should. You should do a backup of everything first to save yourself the hassle of having to reapply album art to everything if/when 0755 is released. If this ever comes out, it should just be a matter of replacing everything on your card with your backup files as they will have the album art still applied.
-Make sure you delete every kind of image file you can think of when following the steps. I thought I hit everything and then found one album on my infotainment system that had a cover. Turns out it was a .gif file of all things!

CHECKLIST

-Do a backup of all your music.
-Use MP3tag to remove all cover art. This removes the art from each song on a surface level.
-Go to the folder with all your music, click View, then Folder Options, hit the View tab. Make sure 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' is selected, and untick 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)'. This enables you to weed out all remaining traces of album art that wasn't hit by MP3tag.
-Do a search in the music folder for .jpg, .jpeg, .gif etc. Basically any image extensions. Make sure it's just stuff from the music folder that you won't need as some deleting is going to happen!
-Delete everything that comes up in the search.
-Enter the SD card into the infotainment system and do a thorough check to ensure that none of the albums have covers. The quickest way to do this is to press the album itself when music is playing and the database has updated (usually takes 5-10 minutes after inserting the card). This is will show the entirety of your music library that you can scroll through using the dial on the right.
-If anything is amiss, go back to the computer and follow the previous steps.
-If all is well, sit back, relax, and enjoy your tunes the way they were meant to be enjoyed!

Will update after a few days. For this, I'm using a 128GB Toshiba Exceria Class 3 SDXC Card formatted as FAT32. Hopefully I'll be coming back with good news!

KHouldey

UPDATE

Apparently even with no album art or any trace of album art, my SD card can reset itself. I have no idea what to do now except give up and dump everything on my phone to play via Bluetooth :(

Not sure if this is the case with any of you or if the steps above work for you?

Last edited:

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
WOW

Thank you guys for all this work and trial and error.

I have a 128GB iPod classic that I pretty much permanently dock in any car I own with a UBS slot (FULL library, mostly organized with some straggler files) BUT as a consequence of doing this for almost a decade, the iPod crashes all the time. It seems to crash more in this car than I've ever seen from other cars, however...

I've been meaning to stack up an SD card with some of my library, but haven't had the time to attack that issue yet - subscribing for any results!

digitalrurouni

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought a new Sandisk 128 gb card from amazon and threw in a bunch of mp3 album covers and everything and no issues so far. I will keep an eye on it. I have the 755 software version.

digitalrurouni

Passed Driver's Ed
So looks like I suffered with the media reset problem - if I understand it correctly. I was in the W's in the artists and listening to music there when I shut the car off. next time I started the car up and the music kicked in it had gone up all the way to the first artist alphabetically. And it had the selection button on the menu disabled. Had to eject the SD card and then I could see the other tracks etc on the SD card. Weird.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I've been meaning to stack up an SD card with some of my library, but haven't had the time to attack that issue yet - subscribing for any results!

Do it.

I still run an iPod in my BMW with an ancient USA*Spec iPod adapter. It's clunky as hell but works. I used one briefly in my R at first, then decided I didn't want to leave it in the car full time during our scorching Phoenix summers, not when there is an SD card slot just begging for some tunes. It took some time to get everything moved, though I made the process considerably simpler by using an $8 Mac app called Export for iTunes. Still took some time to get every piece of album art working properly, old dead tracks purged or moved, etc., but the end result is that I have about 280 albums and some long playlists now working 100% flawlessly from SD card, and it was well worth the effort IMHO. Adding new stuff is really simple using aforementioned Export for iTunes program. Very happy with the end result.

Snarfvergnugen

I'm having an issue where it is not recognizing that a usb flash drive is inserted at all. Not even a grayed out option for USB. One time it will work fine, then turn the car off and back on and it will not even show up at all. I have tried turning it off and on again, inserting different drives etc.
Any ideas on this?

Last edited:

Pardonmyblue

Is Voice control to change artist or album a workaround for anyone?

Thanks Dave H for starting this thread. This same problem happened to me today, Day 3 after putting in my SD card for the first time. Came here on the off chance that someone had an idea of what to do about this weird problem. So sad, I was so excited to browse all my album covers that first day.

I will try reinserting the SD card, maybe that’s my workaround for awhile.

I don’t know my software version, will check that out.

Dave H

Question to the forum:
for people that have had the "reset" problem I described at the start of the thread, and have now updated the software to 0755, has this solved the problem ?

My car is still on 0753, and although I removed all the albumn covers, I still from time to time DO still get the reset problem, but its a lot less frequent (maybe once every 2 weeks).

In a few weeks time, the car is going in to VW for first service (1 year), and they are planning on updating the Software to 0757 version. This is in the UK.
I'll let people know how this goes.

thanks, Dave H