GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light Assist Not Working

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I might agree with you if they made the change before delivering the car.

However, they delivered a vehicle with a feature to a driver, only to backtrack as non-compliant on that feature.

In a way, very similar to the TDI recall, and in that case VW was offering up money.

Nothing like the TDI recall.

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems it has everything to do with VW using a multi function camera that doesn't conform to the laws in a country in which they do business. That's their fault and they should do a proper fix. Disabling something after delivery is not a fix. At the end of the day it's not the most important feature on the car, I'm just feeling like how dare you remove a feature from my car because you screwed up?

This is what they said:

"Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Canada with your concerns regarding the Light Assist feature on your 2016 GTI. We appreciate your patience in allowing us the opportunity to respond.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that you have as experienced as a result of the 97BW compliance recall that was completed on your vehicle. Due to a table error an incompatible combination of light assist and lane assist were built for Canadian vehicles. Due to that that error vehicles with lane and light assist have been equipped with a European standard multi-function camera that does not confirm to the CMVSS. The corrective action is for the light assist function to be deactivated when lane assist is fitted on the vehicle.

Light assist is standard on the 5-door Autobahn which means that there was no additional charges incurred for having this feature. We understand your dissatisfaction with no longer having access to this feature and we apologize for any and all inconvenience; however, this is necessary in order for the affected vehicles to be complaint.

We thank you for taking the time to write. Should you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us through our Customer Care Center at (800) 822-8987. We are open Monday through Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm, Eastern Standard Time.

Please be advised that you may receive a short survey by e-mail regarding your experience with our Customer Care Center. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important and will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future."

I'm going to push back and see where I can get.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for sharing.

If I were you I’d just pick up an Obdeleven and re-enable it. Lots of other things that you can do with it. And...what’s your time worth, arguing with VWoC? It’s a fight you won’t win, unfortunately.

dub_guy

Ready to race!
Nothing like the TDI recall.

Having been through the TDI recall in detail, I’m aware of the details.

VW delivered a non-compliant vehicle and then was obligated to fix it.

In the TDI case, the EPA had the teeth to make VW fix the vehicle. In this case, Transport Canada just played dead and let VW simply do a software delete as opposed to fixing the car with a proper camera - which is what happens in most automotive recalls.

Yes it is nothing like the TDI recall because Transport Canada has no teeth.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Too bad, I haven't owned an android device since my android tablet died a year ago.

Ok then buy a vcds/vagcom/Ross-tech cable. Again, what is your time worth?

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
Turns out my Dad has an old android phone he doesn't use anymore so looks like I'm in business.

In the end, VWoC is sending me a $250 dealership credit, took me three emails.

Thanks for the info in this thread, if I didn't come here I'd still be reading the manual trying to figure out what I was doing wrong!

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
I picked up my Autobahn at the end of August and took it for first oils change a month later and it wasn’t deactivated. When I take it for next service and they tell me of the update can I decline it?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Oil change 1 month in?

pingman222

sorry to bump an older thread, but i've got a canadian 2015 GTI that i picked up used and when i went to flick on my high beams yesterday i got a "fault:light assist" warning on my infotainment screen. Is this part of the canadian recall as to why it doesn't work? Or am i getting a fault warning because something in the system actually isn't working? The recall document only lists 2016's.