GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash Cam Hardwire tips – MK7 2017 GTI

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

Just to confirm, in order to attach the grounding wire, I have to unscrew this bolt and screw it back in with an eyelet ground wire correct?

Yup, and you can use other bolts in that compartment as well. You just need to have the grounding wire attached directly to the bare metal

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

slow12s

Ready to race!
Thanks so much for this! I used SomethingNew71's guide along with some of your tips (running the cable behind the airbag...the a pillar is a BITCH) and I used your fuse guide...thanks for that, I initially had a smaller mini add-a-fuse for one of the KESSY fuses, but after reading your guide I also hardwired into the cigarette outlet fuse (so went to autozone and bought another larger size add-a-fuse)...I noticed that when I have the add-a-fuse the way you do in the pic (with the wire coming out of it going up), it barely goes into the fusebox and seems like it's hitting some plastic (where the 2 fuses you put into it are)...when I have it turned the other way (wire coming out pointing down/fuses to the left), it allows me to fully insert it, but still doesn't seem to be held in as well as a normal fuse would be (like I could see it popping out in a collision or something)...is this something you've run into? Does yours seem to be loose at all the way you have the add-a-fuse?

Thanks again for the guide! I will need to work on hiding that last piece of wiring that can be seen by the drivers door when it's open...were you able to hide this under a piece of trim before going down the a pillar? Just trying to decide how difficult that trim piece is to remove before attempting it...just finished the install and I'm really happy with it...thanks!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
)...when I have it turned the other way (wire coming out pointing down/fuses to the left), it allows me to fully insert it, but still doesn't seem to be held in as well as a normal fuse would be (like I could see it popping out in a collision or something)...is this something you've run into? Does yours seem to be loose at all the way you have the add-a-fuse?

Thanks again for the guide! I will need to work on hiding that last piece of wiring that can be seen by the drivers door when it's open...were you able to hide this under a piece of trim before going down the a pillar? Just trying to decide how difficult that trim piece is to remove before attempting it...just finished the install and I'm really happy with it...thanks!

It doesn’t feel like the best connection but it’s not been an issue. You could always place a strip of electrical tape over tightly.

After doing it, it was completely worth it to remove the a-pillar. It wasn’t that hard. Follow my guide.

andyyoo91

So many of you have probably seen SomethingNew71's guide on these forums. It's a good guide and I followed the same general procedures. Running the power cable across the front of head-liner where it meets the windshield, across the a-pillar, and down the weather stripping to the fuse box. That guide is located here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10375&highlight=dash+cam

However thought I would outline a few tweaks/tricks on the install. In case anyone wants to know, I used the a119 camera sold here on Amazon. Best bang for the buck around $100. https://www.amazon.com/SpyTec-A119-...8&qid=1484627196&sr=8-1&keywords=spy+tec+a119

Here is a link for the fuse box PDF of our NAR MK7 GTIs - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7m7wc8rdjxjhutf/2016 MK7 GTI Fuse Panel Guide.pdf?dl=0

Alternatively, you can remove the a-pillar trim, run the cable down the wiring harness and zip tie in place. This is what I eventually did when I fixed my a-pillar rattle and had it off anyway. That DIY is here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=480175

1. I did not run the wire across the air bag in the a-pillar.
I think this is a bad idea and I've seen many people post that they did it. I ran it behind the airbag in order to cross the a-pillar at the top right where it meets the windshield.
I popped open the top of the a-pillar and put enough pressure on it until the top clip popped out to the security catch it has. This was enough room to do what I needed to do.
I shimmied a trim tool behind the airbag, between the car body and the airbag, and then put SLIGHT pressure on the airbag. I observed that I could easily fish the USB power cable up through and to the headliner where it meets the a-pillar. I believe this is a much better/safer solution than running across the airbag.

2. I bought a much better 12v plug for about the same price. Surprisingly, at RadioShack. The connections on it are far more robust and safe and it looks and feels like a legit product. It also has a rubber cap if you decide to uninstall the dash cam and want to leave the plug there. https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-12vdc-car-power-accessory-outlet

The 12v plug from Amazon outlined in the other DIY was absolute junk. I was appalled. I ordered 2 and both were defective, and almost fell completely apart on me when I was wiring them up. I don't think these are safe products and I will never put them in my cars.

3. I wired in to switched power at the fuse box using an ATO size Add-A-Circuit. I got that part here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JU4K76/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The cam will power on when I put the car into accessory mode or start it. For dash cams that have parking mode this won't work. I chose not to utilize parking mode at this time. I have outlined how to switch the fuse to always-on power in the image in the event you need that.

***NOTE*** Initially I had wired to fuse 37, the last 10a fuse on the bottom row, this was for the left DRL and parking light control modules. These feedback into the BCM. The BCM controls the KESSY transponder and this was causing intermittent Key Not Found errors in the car due to apparent voltage dip. If you don't have KESSY, you can wire to fuse 37, it's working fine in my wife's non-KESSY MK7.

4. Grounding: Ground to the large bolt visible from the side panel, I believe it was 14mm.
Link to Scosche dual USB charger. https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-USBC...484626998&sr=8-3&keywords=scosche+car+charger
Anker and Aukey also make well reviewed, and great, thoroughly tested products. I used this Scosche one because its a top rated product and was also thoroughly reviewed on The Wirecutter, who found it to be one of the best they tested.

For your ATC fuse you inserted in SC40. i see that you put in the original yellow 20 fuse. Did you also insert the same size fuse (random one you can just buy it at any store) to the open spot next to it? I am pretty new to this.

Thanks

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
For your ATC fuse you inserted in SC40. i see that you put in the original yellow 20 fuse. Did you also insert the same size fuse (random one you can just buy it at any store) to the open spot next to it? I am pretty new to this.

Thanks

Yes. That is how an add-a-circuit works.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I'm going to wire mine up using this kit, but I wasn't sure which fuse to use. Thanks!

Just use 37. The one i wrote don’t use if you have KESSY. after many months I’m no longer convinced it was a problem to wire there.

Alternatively you could get the bigger add a circuit i used.

That's the slot that I'm using for the same kit linked above. I have KESSY and don't have that key not found error. BUT...I have this rare but recurring issue of the dash cam not starting up when the car starts, and when I manually turn on my dash cam, it dies immediately due to lack of power. The only way to "fix" it is by restarting the car.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
ReadTheBook said:
Just use 37. The one i wrote don’t use if you have KESSY

But since I do have KESSY, I already went ahead and ordered the add-a-circuit and hardwire kit. In the picture, you are using the accessory 12-volt (cigarette lighter if it's 1983) circuit, correct?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
But since I do have KESSY, I already went ahead and ordered the add-a-circuit and hardwire kit. In the picture, you are using the accessory 12-volt (cigarette lighter if it's 1983) circuit, correct?

Correct. I’m really not entirely sure it’s necessary But I do like the idea that it is a dedicated circuit just for the 12 V outlets and nothing else is on it, except for my dash cam now.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
That's the slot that I'm using for the same kit linked above. I have KESSY and don't have that key not found error. BUT...I have this rare but recurring issue of the dash cam not starting up when the car starts, and when I manually turn on my dash cam, it dies immediately due to lack of power. The only way to "fix" it is by restarting the car.

That’s definitely interesting. What kind of camera is it? I ask because I had a defective camera that would automatically renewed itself at random, it could be the camera it could be a background or it could be bad wiring or it could be the slot. You should try to component isolation. The camera and wiring are easy to isolate simply by using a wire that is plugged in to the normal 12v adapter and a USB cable.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
That’s definitely interesting. What kind of camera is it? I ask because I had a defective camera that would automatically renewed itself at random, it could be the camera it could be a background or it could be bad wiring or it could be the slot. You should try to component isolation. The camera and wiring are easy to isolate simply by using a wire that is plugged in to the normal 12v adapter and a USB cable.

It's a Rexing V1 with the latest firmware. It's definitely not a problem with the camera -- I had no problems using this in my last car and have used it a few times in my mom's car, both using the 12V that came with the camera.

I'll eventually test the wiring, but it's a rare enough problem that it doesn't bother me. Now when I finally decide to enable parking mode, I'll definitely look into it.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Correct. I’m really not entirely sure it’s necessary But I do like the idea that it is a dedicated circuit just for the 12 V outlets and nothing else is on it, except for my dash cam now.

My high-school experience was in the early 1990s, so I've had some experience with mobile electronics, albeit a long, long time ago... I've found that even in older, simpler cars, tapping random circuits to power other things is almost always a bad idea. Once saw a guy overheat/ruin his engine, because some stereo shop decided to use his cooling fan circuit to power something else. So, whenever possible, I use the accessory circuit, as it's there for that specific purpose.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Its a shame most cameras dont have the 12 to 5 volt reduction inside the camera . I hate having the bulky 12 volt plug kit inside the dash. I would have loved to just splice the positive wire directly into the add-a-fuse and my elec-chicken skills aren't nearly good enough to make my own smaller voltage reducer to fit inline with the wire.

I didn't take the time to research this, but are there any switching 5 Volt sources on the fuse panel?