GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strut Mount replacement

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm not gonna argue about it. Choose whichever way you wanna use.

A pro automotive mechanic does things fast/easy to save time & make money (flat rate)

A professional aircraft mechanic, like myself, does things correctly regardless of the time/cost/effort involved in doing so. And by correctly I do mean by the book, not just Joe Blow from Camber Plate Co. says so. There's absolutely a torque spec for that top nut, per Volkswagen if you look it up in their manuals used at the dealership. You can bet nowhere in that manual says "zing it on there with an impact", even if that's the short cut some attempt to take

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I'm not gonna argue about it. Choose whichever way you wanna use.

A pro automotive mechanic does things fast/easy to save time & make money (flat rate)

A professional aircraft mechanic, like myself, does things correctly regardless of the time/cost/effort involved in doing so. And by correctly I do mean by the book, not just Joe Blow from Camber Plate Co. says so. There's absolutely a torque spec for that top nut, per Volkswagen if you look it up in their manuals used at the dealership. You can bet nowhere in that manual says "zing it on there with an impact", even if that's the short cut some attempt to take
again he's not telling how to install your part. he's telling you how to install the part his company designed.

seems the best general advice is to ask the manufacturer of the part in question for their recommendation and follow it.

here's my socket. ordered it while my new plates sat on my desk waiting for install. then I contacted vorshlag to get torque specs and they sent me the video. followed it, no noise. struts survived a few turns of spinning, no problem.

the socket did get used to break the top nut for removal of stock mounts.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ik, I never disagreed on what we were discussing.

I'm still standing by he's wrong and that's not the correct way to do it. His lack of a torque spec to provide you when you asked for one is a poor reflection of that company and their engineers or lack there of