GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I did something very stupid while replacing my battery, I placed the bolt from the tie down plate on top of the quarter panel and it immediately fell through the gap out of sight (and reach). Does anyone know the part number and/or the dimensions of the bolt. Item number 10 in the illustration

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Part no. N10675602

M8 bolt 35mm long...

tmehanna

Passed Driver's Ed
I was changing headlight bulbs and lost one in that crack (if its the same one I'm thinking of). Take off the front wheel and remove the fender liner (easy).

Thanks, I wasn't even sure where it fell, but I finally found it resting right behind the front bumper when I was actually expecting it to have fallen at the other end of the wheel. Only had to remove one screw from the fender liner :D

Bakili

Ready to race!
Need advice on replacing battery on my car. It's Bluemotion Stop Start, today noticed after trip (30 min motorway drive) SOC was showing 60%, stop/start wouldn't kick in. Looks like battery getting weaker, car just under 4 years old still original battery Varta.
Specs are following: Varta 12v 68Ah 380A DIN. 680A EN/SAE/GS AGM.

I would like to replace it like for like but struggling to find same spec. Which battery will be best without coding or altering any settings.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I've been thinking about this battery..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Need advice on replacing battery on my car. It's Bluemotion Stop Start, today noticed after trip (30 min motorway drive) SOC was showing 60%, stop/start wouldn't kick in. Looks like battery getting weaker, car just under 4 years old still original battery Varta.
Specs are following: Varta 12v 68Ah 380A DIN. 680A EN/SAE/GS AGM.

I would like to replace it like for like but struggling to find same spec. Which battery will be best without coding or altering any settings.

the exact same spec which is only from VW....

VW have their own Ah ratings for standard industry case sizes...to force you to buy from them.

You can fit any battery that fits the tray in the car engine bay....

BUT you have to use VCDS or OBD11 etc to alter the coding to tell the BCM what battery it has fitted...

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks again Dave! Wanted to say thanks and bump this thread.

Been waiting awhile to perform this upgrade. Battery only had three years, but I was having to throw a charger on it more often than I would like. Proper fitting battery blanket finally arrived along with my new properly hinged windshield wiper reservoir cap http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26076 (thanks for that also). Adaptations made in CAN Gateway and away I go.

That’s not a battery, now this is a battery!

Attachments

• battery size.JPG
    battery size.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 2,117

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks again Dave! Wanted to say thanks and bump this thread.

Been waiting awhile to perform this upgrade. Battery only had three years, but I was having to throw a charger on it more often than I would like. Proper fitting battery blanket finally arrived along with my new properly hinged windshield wiper reservoir cap http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26076 (thanks for that also). Adaptations made in CAN Gateway and away I go.

That’s not a battery, now this is a battery!

Glad you found the DIY useful....

.....both DIY were usefull...& yes what a difference that hinged screen wash cap makes...:cool:

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I also have the Start&Stop thing, but I never use it, it's actually disabled by VCDS following the "voltage method".

can I fit a standard (=cheaper) battery instead of EFB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I also have the Start&Stop thing, but I never use it, it's actually disabled by VCDS following the "voltage method".

can I fit a standard (=cheaper) battery instead of EFB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't as other stuff in the cars electric might not like it...

however logically there is no reason if s/s disabled ..

I have disabled s/s on my car using the voltage method, but reactivate it for our MOT & servicing...anyway the AGM batteries are better in the cold weather we have..:cool:

tko1

Thanks for the write up.

Anyone know the purpose of the fabric battery cover? It seemed insulated, but that wouldn't do any good. Heat resistance, but isn't going to stop acid from dripping out. Not sealed, so dirt and oil can make it in.

Anyhow, I wanted the larger battery but didn't have time to obtain the larger cover. I simple ironed new creases in the original cover and reversed it 180. There's a one inch gap on the front, which I don't think is a big deal, and it stays in place pretty well. Oh, the Costco group 29 battery comes with a red (+) cover that works fine, so zero investment past the battery itself

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The fabric is mainly an insulator for cold climates. However not much of a problem if you fit an AGM type as these cope better in cold climates than other types.

Elwood

3-7-77
I believe the opposite is true. Heat kills batteries. I've even had cars with grill vents directed at the battery to cool them. Audi puts batteries in an area outside of the actual engine compartment to keep them away from the heat. Mini has them next to the air intake for the cabin. The battery in a Golf is subject to a lot of heat under the hood thanks to the turbo. You should have something there to protect it.

tko1

But there is no way under a quarter inch of insulation, edges simply tucked in and not sealed, bottom open, top folded, will provide any heat insulation for more a few minutes.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I wonder if removing the weatherstripping at the base of the hood would help keep the battery cooler. If so, what negatives would there be besides increased noise?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk