GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 10-13-2017, 04:38 AM   #103
stillwellm10

Drives: MK7 Golf SE w/LP
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
GTi's in my area are very sparse. I see them occasionally and I've only noted 2 other MK7's. GTi's for me are still a kind of rare breed around here in Illinois. I'm just outside Chicago with a population of about 160,000. But, we only have 1 VW dealer and they don't have a large presence since they sell also sell, Buick, Chevy, GMC, BMW and other makes.

I don't think VW will abandon the US market with the MK8 GTi.
I see a lot of GTi's in my area. There's a few in my neighborhood, just need to become friends with them haha.
stillwellm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:08 AM   #104
Trancebolt

Drives: '17 MK7 GTI Sport, '12 E350 Bluetec
yea subaru has always been a , just i dont know, i love them but id never want one...

vw could have gone the cvt route like others and been lame. does the e golf have a cvt? weird I never thought about that. I see tons of egolfs, the occasional r or gti, and basically a million jettas in california.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Trancebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #105
alderran1

Drives: 2015 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwellm10 View Post
I see a lot of GTi's in my area. There's a few in my neighborhood, just need to become friends with them haha.
Not a day goes by that I don't see another GTI. Just another downside of owning one
alderran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #106
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
Good info in that link. IMO, kill the Golf. lame, lame car, is it unusual that the "sporty" model of a car WAY outsells the plain-jane version? Seems very unusual. Keep GTI, R and Sportwagen. Re-content the Sportwagen (WTF VW, why get rid of LP? your halogens suck!) and keep offering it in AWD. Nice to have an alternative to a soul-sucking Impreza with a wheez-o-matic CVT and a tepid 2.0
VW might have used Golf to homologate GTI / R in US market. So whatever Golf they sell, might be a bonus to them. And even a $35k 2017 BMW 320s had halogens are standard and lighting package as optional. Its just another way for the manufacturer to milk money from the customer.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #107
MonkeyMD

Drives: 2016 VW Golf Tsi S Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
Good info in that link. IMO, kill the Golf. lame, lame car, is it unusual that the "sporty" model of a car WAY outsells the plain-jane version? Seems very unusual. Keep GTI, R and Sportwagen. Re-content the Sportwagen (WTF VW, why get rid of LP? your halogens suck!) and keep offering it in AWD. Nice to have an alternative to a soul-sucking Impreza with a wheez-o-matic CVT and a tepid 2.0
You mean the limited edition Golf.
Definitely going to hold its value better

Crazy that the GTI outsells the Golf. Believe as of Sept, it was 17000 to 13000.
I chalk it up to if people want an A to B car, the get a sedan (Jetta 90000).
Enthusiasts buy hatchbacks and they get a GTI, expect for a select few.

And for the price, it's definitely NOT lame, just its sales numbers.
MonkeyMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #108
heiney9

Drives: 2017 - GTi Sport -DSG & 2009 GTi -TSI DSG
Let's face it, hatchbacks aren't big business in the US. Never have been, probably never will. That's why the Jetta outsells the Golf. My brother has a 2013 Jetta GLI and it's nowhere near as sporty or fun to drive as either of my GTi's. Nor do I think it looks as good. It's not a bad car, just a little bland compared to a GTi and the GLI is supposed to be the sporty version of the Jetta.

If they gave the GLI the GTi treatment, they'd probably sell even less GTi's. The GTi, despite fairly good sales numbers in the US, is still a niche car mostly because it's a hatchback. I have always preferred the Golf/GTi to a Jetta/GLI, but many people have an aversion to a hatchback (in the US). If they really tweaked the Jetta GLI to GTi levels it would compete with other higher end sedans from BMW, Mercedes, etc. The Jetta stopped being a "Golf with a trunk" awhile ago.

When people look at a standard Golf and a Jetta they perceive more value in the Jetta since it's a sedan and it's seems more "upscale" and looks like you didn't chince out on a hatchback. The Golf is way more versatile than the Jetta, but most people don't see that in the US.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #109
ElectricEye

Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
The GTI likely outsells the Golf in the USA, because people specifically buy the GTI.
It's got a built in market even if it's not a very large one and it's a flagship of sorts for VW.
I wish the Golf would catch on with Americans, but Americans still largely view hatchbacks as econo box/penalty boxes.
Meanwhile they buy SUV's - big hatchbacks - in droves!
I can't speak for other countries, but my observation as an American is that collectively "we" don't let old automotive opinions go.
People repeat the same stuff about the same brands of cars literally decade after decade as if nothing changes.
They will swear off of ever buying a make of car after one bad experience - again - often decades ago, and again under the belief that nothing changes.
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #110
demi9od

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
Let's face it, hatchbacks aren't big business in the US. Never have been, probably never will. That's why the Jetta outsells the Golf. My brother has a 2013 Jetta GLI and it's nowhere near as sporty or fun to drive as either of my GTi's. Nor do I think it looks as good. It's not a bad car, just a little bland compared to a GTi and the GLI is supposed to be the sporty version of the Jetta.

If they gave the GLI the GTi treatment, they'd probably sell even less GTi's. The GTi, despite fairly good sales numbers in the US, is still a niche car mostly because it's a hatchback. I have always preferred the Golf/GTi to a Jetta/GLI, but many people have an aversion to a hatchback (in the US). If they really tweaked the Jetta GLI to GTi levels it would compete with other higher end sedans from BMW, Mercedes, etc. The Jetta stopped being a "Golf with a trunk" awhile ago.

When people look at a standard Golf and a Jetta they perceive more value in the Jetta since it's a sedan and it's seems more "upscale" and looks like you didn't chince out on a hatchback. The Golf is way more versatile than the Jetta, but most people don't see that in the US.
I tried to convince my friend when he bought his 2015 STI that the Golf R was the better vehicle, but he'd hear none of it, because he won't drive a hatch. Now he's bitching about how women automatically perceive him as a douche due to his gold rims and giant wing. His requirements were power, AWD, manual, and sedan. Didn't really leave him with many options. I'm guessing he'll probably buy another STI if they remodel in 2020 too.

My previous car was a 2014 Forester and with lowering springs and a stiffer rear sway bar its actually not bad at all to drive. Sure it doesn't have much passing power, but the CVT with the 2.5 and ridiculous throttle tip in give it a ton of torque off the line for the first 20ft, making it a pleasure to scoot around town in. Plus I get almost 30mpg in city driving on 87 octane which is nice. The MPG is actually better around town than at 75mph on the highway ha.

Last edited by demi9od; 10-13-2017 at 03:42 PM.
demi9od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM   #111
dizzyMongoose

Drives: 2012 Golf TDI
Yeah, hatchbacks just aren't popular as a car type in the US. The GTI has its niche as a sporty car, but people will buy a Civic or Corolla sedan before buying a standard Golf, assuming they're even buying a compact and not the more trendy crossover SUVs.

The Golf's more popular in Canada, because hatchbacks are more popular. The Golf is the best selling VW model in Canada, though not as popular as the usual Civics and Corollas, and also Mazda 3s and Elantras. Chevrolet Cruzes sell here too; apparently the sales picked up in Canada after they introduced a hatchback version.

Last edited by dizzyMongoose; Yesterday at 06:34 AM.
dizzyMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #112
ElectricEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyMongoose View Post
Yeah, hatchbacks just aren't popular as a car type in the US. The GTI has its niche as a sporty car, but people will buy a Civic or Corolla sedan before buying a standard Golf, assuming they're even buying a compact and not the more trendy crossover SUVs.

The Golf's more popular in Canada, because hatchbacks are more popular. The Golf is the best selling VW model in Canada, though not as popular as the usual Civics and Corollas, and also Mazda 3s and Elantras. Chevrolet Cruzes sell here too; apparently the sales picked up in Canada after they introduced a hatchback version.
Yeah, American's will get a Civic over a Golf 9 times out of 10.
If you asked them why (reputation for reliability aside) I would guarantee you it's because they believe the Civic is a higher quality car.
Even though compared side to side - it isn't.
It's the hatchback stigma.
Then, when said buyer moves upmarket, they often purchase a hatchback in the form of an SUV.
And depending on the particular SUV, it might not be a higher quality vehicle than a Golf.
Just larger.
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM   #113
Strange Mud

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
I like hatchbacks......my wife didn't until she owned one. The practicality of them rocks.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #114
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Golf production coming to an end at Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Yeah, American's will get a Civic over a Golf 9 times out of 10.
If you asked them why (reputation for reliability aside) I would guarantee you it's because they believe the Civic is a higher quality car.
Even though compared side to side - it isn't.
It's the hatchback stigma.
Then, when said buyer moves upmarket, they often purchase a hatchback in the form of an SUV.
And depending on the particular SUV, it might not be a higher quality vehicle than a Golf.
Just larger.

Totally missing that VW/Audi also have a reputation of being super unreliable and breaking down, major electrical issues and parts costs being way higher.

I can hardly post about the car on FB without at least one person saying how itís unreliable etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #115
ElectricEye

I said: "Reputation for reliability aside."