2017 GTI SE DSG
Thanks. The bolt pattern is correct. They were used on a 2015 golf

Sorry I bought them Wednesday already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that’ll fit as long as the bolt pattern is right

not 100% true since R and GTI PP have bigger calipers on them.
You need to make sure that your caliper clears the wheel drum with weights.
Some TireRack 17" wheels have the clearance issues with the weights contact the drum.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

Some TireRack 17" wheels have the clearance issues with the weights contact the drum.

Isn’t this a non PP car

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

My SE is a PP and yes it clears although it is tight.

Corndart

I've always run Bridgestone Blizzak tires, and I've been very happy. They are very soft, and are great in the snow. Be very aware of the speed rating on snow tires. Some snow tires can have speed ratings at low as 84mph. You do not want to go flying down the highway with snow tires on!

Another point I'll mention, my Blizzak have seemed to last a long time. I run them about 5 months a year, and I've had the same set since 2010 and there is still a ton of tread left. They almost look new still. Very happy with them

While interesting, this is actually not helpful without mileage associated with 6 seasons of use. Do you travel 1k miles in that span or 10k? Something else?

:confused::)

I just purchased a DR-69 wheels and Michelin IceX3 package from the local Discount Tire. It was just over $1300 total (yikes). Will be doing a trek over the Cascades to a town near Idaho this weekend. I's supposed to snow there Saturday and Sunday, will report back with pictures of them mounted and any feedback related to performance upon return.

Last edited:

Corndart

Quick report back on the aforementioned winter tire package.

edit:
Wheels: DRG DR-69 17x17.5 5-112 ; $115.99 with buy 3 get 1 free promo
Tires: Michelin Ice X3 225 45 R17 ; $164, no promos at the time of purchase

In short, they are great. I did an over 800 mile trip this past weekend including 4 hours in snow and ice. With judicious use of the throttle, they consistently hooked up well in all conditions and were very confidence inspiring. One nice surprise is that fuel economy has not substantially changed, potentially due to having to take it a bit easier in general with the throttle. The other nice surprise is that noise level is perfectly acceptable. Yes, they drone a bit more at higher speeds than the OEM Hankook's but it's quite tolerable in return for the assurance that when ice or snow hit again in the PNW, the GTI will serve admirably.

Pics of them mounted and obligatory snowy road
https://imgur.com/a/KL5x1

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Does anyone have experience with Hankook Winter iCept Evo tires? I was debating between Blizzak WS80 and Continental Wintercontacts, but these are significantly less expensive than either of those, and from what I hear, Hankook is actually a reputable tire company these days.

Because I work from home whenever I feel like it, ultimate snow traction isn't really a necessity for me; but I do need them since I live on a hill. Since the roads aren't snow-covered 90% of the winter anyway, I'm thinking that V-rated winter tires might be the better option.

Thoughts?

AsymmetricKururin

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Be aware of brake caliper clearance on 17" wheels

I have to agree with nate704 that Golf R & GTI calipers can be an issue when fitting a 17" wheel.

Here are some close-up pictures of my winter wheels and brake calipers.
BTW, I purchased these wheels in Canada from Fastco and selected a model that was designed for use on Mk7 Golf R which has the larger brake calipers like the Performance Pack GTIs.

This is the clearance BEFORE the wheel weights were added
IMG_1350_small.JPG

This picture shows the front brake clearance WITH wheel weights
IMG_1371_small.JPG

Here is a close-up of the above
IMG_1371_smaller.JPG

There is maybe 1mm more clearance on the rear wheels
IMG_1415_small.JPG

** To see the rest of my pictures concerning this Fastco wheel on my Golf R, here is a link to my post.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Anyone running 17" S4 wheels on their GTI Sport? I'm about to pick a set up for winter, got a pretty good deal on them.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
^^^
Here's a MK6 R with them....(same brakes as the Sport)....should fit fine:

I figured they would, based on the fact that the R brakes are 340mm, and the S4 brakes for that generation were 345mm, but the pic makes me feel a lot better about last night's parking lot Craigslist transaction! :D

ARC

Just put 17x7.5 MSW Type 22s with 225/45-17 Blizzak WS 80s on my car over the weekend. I'm quite happy with the setup. Clearance to the brakes looks good, better than with some wheels, noise isn't much different from the stock Bridgestones. Now I need some snow to see how it goes

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Anyone have experience with the G-Max AS 05?

No, but given that they're marketed as Ultra High Performance All-seasons and made by a company that barely qualifies as name-brand, I wouldn't trust them to get me home in the snow, especially if you live in a hilly area.

Now, I'll admit that I have an irrational hatred of all-season tires, for reasons I won't bore you with. But, the laws of physics still apply, and the best A/S tire will never be as good in winter as the worst winter tire, no matter what their marketing department says. The closest anyone's every come to a true "all-season" tire is the Nokian WRG2, but they're not going to give you the performance you want on dry pavement.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
made by a company that barely qualifies as name-brand

The closest anyone's every come to a true "all-season" tire is the Nokian WRG2, but they're not going to give you the performance you want on dry pavement.

That's a little harsh there. General is a name brand company, and they're owned by Continental.
I've had 3 sets of their tires and they've been on par with the Conti's too....no complaints

Their Altimax snow tires are a bargain/nice tire and last forever too...LOTS of guys running them with no complaints (myself included)

But I do agree that all seasons are a compromise & still suck in the snow. The Gmax AS05 shouldn't even be mentioned in this winter tire thread....just get a dedicated winter setup instead.

If you truly can't though....the Conti DWS06 is a nice all season tire to consider btw. But, again, it's a compromise