GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying an Older Truck

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
And convert it to rhd.

How's that going btw

She's been using it RHD issue free for about 20k miles now, and she beats it like its stolen. I have to replace brake fluid constantly from her boiling it lol

upload from web

I would be definitely doing all the work myself. I have the tools and a place to do it as well. As for emissions from what I can find you don't have to do them in Alberta.

What kind of milage would you say is a no go for the XJ?

As for the 4x4 swap, is it really as simple as swapping parts or is there fabrication involved? Because I do not have the ability to do that!

Thanks for everyones input by the way it's much appreciated!

It's all bolt on, no welding at all. You'll have to open up a knock out panel for the transfer case shifter but other than that it's R&R parts. The 2wd Cherokee comes with an empty axle tube the same size as the Dana 30 from the 4x4. So the brake, knuckles, springs, etc all interchange between the two.

Obviously look for a stock 4x4 tho, since to do the swap a 2wd you'd want a full 4x4 donor truck anyway so it didn't nickel and dime you.

Down south I've seen tons of them with 300,000 miles, but up north 180,000 would probably be where I'd draw the line. The cold weather must really take a toll on engines cuz since I moved south it seems like every car has twice the miles on it vs up north (not accounting for rust

Last edited:

Ehlectric

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like I'll be looking for an XJ / ZJ possibly even a WJ. But now, the gf has kindly suggested "What about a 4runner?".

Anyone have opinions on those? From a quick peek at the local classifieds they seem to me more expensive ( and higher millage ) right off the bat. I'd be going with a 3rd or 4th gen.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You don't want a ZJ or WJ...heavier with worse drivelines. There's a reason why XJ sell for the same as a decade newer Grand Cherokee, Grand = junk lol

4runners are awesome, but like you said they cost more. Also, the timing set is a regular maintenance item every 100k for the V8, and from what I've heard it's neither a cheap nor fun job.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Here's a 48 hour example of what Grand Cherokee are good for. Me and two buddies bought it for $400. Took it to Yankee Lake Truck Night, wheeled it, jumped it, and attempted to fill the cargo area with empty beer cans