GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 ACT noise

Diaz85

Hi

I have 16 plate Golf R-Line 1.4 with Active Cylinder Technology and has only done 10000 miles.

I'm getting a rattle noise similar to that of a cinema projector only when in 2 cylinder mode and it's most noticeable when passing by a wall.

I did a quick google search and found a few having the same problem with this engine but couldn't see anything for a fix.

Has anyone else had experience of this and found the problem?

Cheers

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My How to guide will solve it...

ALL the 1.4 140 & 150PS engine have the same turbos/wastegate actuator rod setup & there is no fix of a circlip like other VW engines.

So grease the joint...

Diaz85

Thanks for the quick reply's guys.

I went out and found the actuator rod at the back of engine and I started tapping with my finger and it sounds like the problem, seems very loose indeed.

Only thing i can think of why its only noticeable in 2 cylinder mode is engine runs more rough/vibrations.

Many Thanks

pcr

Ready to race!
In two-cylinder mode the engine will be labouring a little more which might affect various resonances within the car and hence the rattle, if that makes sense.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
04E145220*- is the part number to stop the actuator rod rattle. About to fit it to my 1.4.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

For your 122PS & the 125PS ONLY....

NOT our 140/150PS as our turbo is different & we have a bronze/brass shim fitted in this place to solve that particular rattle....:cool:

Diaz85

Obviously that's why VW have brought out the 1.5 then... Tried the grease but could still hear it so stuck a padlock on it and now cant hear it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Obviously that's why VW have brought out the 1.5 then... Tried the grease but could still hear it so stuck a padlock on it and now cant hear it.

They were planning the 1.5 awhile back....

Anyway I have posted an update re the type of grease as mine stuck again so refer back to the thread:cool: