GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Braille Battery GU1R 12v Lithium Ion Retrofit

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
This past Monday brought some bad news when my Golf R died at the dealership during warranty work. However, this provided an excellent opportunity to upgrade the battery while saving 28.6 lbs of weight.

If you're curious to learn more about the GU1R, head to the following link to read Hyde16's review: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186592

Hyde simply installed the GU1R in his Mk6 and made no changes within VCDS and several years later the battery is still working. I've opted to go into VCDS and adapt the following; I'd like to thank golfdave for writing the original here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

VCDS coding required:-
From the Main screen:-
Select Control Module [Select]
[19-CAN Gateway]
Advanced Functions screen:-
[Adaptions-10]
New value choice screen:-
Change the following four channels, inputting the relevant data about the new battery.

IDE03256-MAS06105-Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity Adapted to "39" Ah

IDE03256-MAS06106-Battery adaptation-Battery technology Adapted to "Lithium ions"

IDE03256-MAS06107-Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer Adapted to "Braille Battery", however, when it accepted it shortened to "Bra"

IDE03256-MAS06108-Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number Adapted from "ille Battery" to the serial number provided with new battery purchase "XXXXXXX"

Interesting how the "ille Battery" was carried over to the Battery Serial number from the Battery Manufacturer adaptation.

I logged the following in VCDS after the changes were made with the engine running:

Address 19: CAN Gateway (5Q0 907 530 AC)

21:38:47
IDE01834 Battery voltage 13.705 V
IDE06468-MAS06317 Battery model-Specification rated battery voltage from BTM 13.3 V
IDE08346-MAS06117 Generator Analysis-Rated voltage 14.3 V
IDE08346-MAS06864 Generator Analysis-Generator actual voltage 14.1 V

As I cycled on the headlights, radio and A/C system these numbers changed dynamically except for the "Battery model-Specification rated battery voltage" which stayed static at 13.3 V.

Last edited:

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
The drop down menu for Battery Technology had the following options:

Binary - AGM
EFB
EFB+
Fleece
Gel
Lithium ions
Ultracap
Wet
Wind12V
Wind6V

Plus some unknown / unassigned types

Credit: Uwe - Ross-Tech Forums

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Nice work!

Glad it worked...& yes the BCM shortens the make to the first three letters, as I queried this with Ross-Tech a couple of years ago when I did my write up as I was one of the first to do this for the MK7 as there were a few problems with the coding as the car was new out...

The drop down menu for Battery Technology had the following options:

Binary - AGM
EFB
EFB+
Fleece
Gel
Lithium ions
Ultracap
Wet
Wind12V
Wind6V
Awesome. Thanks for sharing! I didn't expect to see "Lithium ions" in
the menu. Do I get it right, "39 Ah" is the smallest value available?

Please share your long-term experiences!

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Awesome. Thanks for sharing! I didn't expect to see "Lithium ions" in
the menu. Do I get it right, "39 Ah" is the smallest value available?

Please share your long-term experiences!
Neither did I, needless to say I was pleased to see it as an option.

Regarding the smallest value, I'm not sure. There wasn't a drop down menu for the capacity adaptation just an entry field. I plugged in 39 and it accepted.

That's the plan; expect me to continue logging variables and reporting back any unexpected findings.

Let me know if there are other measuring values that I should include when I log the battery/alternator system.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I've been running the Fullriver HC20 for over 6 months now without issue. It was only about $120 and weighs about 7kg. I also coded it in. Only difference is the start-stop never functions. Super cool to see someone running a lithium ion. I wanted too but the cost per kilo was too high.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Man, I was really interested in this battery until I looked at the price. $579?! :eek:

Don't worry and get a Deka AGM instead.

As I posted in my DIY on how to swap for a bigger battery (Jan 2015) I covered all the battery types & stated:-

""What about Lithium-Ion batteries?:- Firstly they are VERY expensive & make AGM look cheap! Although they are used in racing, motorcycles, Porsche RS, etc., they could be used, but case size would have to be the same as the smallest battery VW make for the Golf Mk7. I wouldn't recommend due to high cost/ low benefits unless you are stripping everything out of your MK7 to go racing & are looking for the perfect set-up!!!""

TecklenburgVW is track racing his car abit more than most & looking for every advantage. Therefore a Li-ion makes sense...:cool:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
UPDATE

Today I received the Stable Energies Cage mount for the Braille Battery GU1R.

Happy to report that no drilling into the OEM battery tray was required. The OEM retaining bracket can be used to secure the cage mount to the battery tray.

Somebody with some common sense...I hate the idea of drilling the battery tray which has specifically been designed with various reinforced inserts etc for three battery sizes..to then drill for a "fourth" could put weak spots in the tray..

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
UPDATE

Today I received the Stable Energies Cage mount for the Braille Battery GU1R.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Stabl...t-Weight-Batteries/productinfo/BB-MOUNT/GUIR/

Happy to report that no drilling into the OEM battery tray was required. The OEM retaining bracket can be used to secure the cage mount to the battery tray.

I ordered this for my GTI after I saw your pic. I bought a Braille AGM 15 lb and the corresponding holder from Stable. So you just place it how you would a normal battery and the brackets fit without modification?