GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noob question regarding dogbone insert

JLgti

Ready to race!
Got my BFI dogbone inserts in today. According to installation instructions it says to torque down bolt 74ft/lb plus 1/4 turn. That would be more than 74ft/lbs no? Is that extra quarter turn necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Got my BFI dogbone inserts in today. According to installation instructions it says to torque down bolt 74ft/lb plus 1/4 turn. That would be more than 74ft/lbs no? Is that extra quarter turn necessary?

Sorry but 74 is wrong, refers to older versions than GTI 7. I installed a dogbone insert on my sons 2009 Seat Leon (basically a Golf mk5) and used recommended value 74 lb-ft / (100 nm).

If you have a new bolt use 96 lb-ft (130 nm in EU world) + ¼ turn. It’s a “stretch bolt”.

If you use the old one don’t turn the extra ¼ turn. That’s how I have done on my Golf 7 R (same spec as GTI).

/Peter

zimmie2652

Ready to race!

You should definitely be ok without that extra quarter turn but in the scheme of things what is that extra quarter really gonna hurt? Probably not, it's primarily to
make sure things are snugged up tight.

The instructions are there for a reason after all.

ACE2

Ready to race!
Sounds dumb but...anyone have tips on how to loosen the dog bone bolt (oem). I tried once and I couldn't get that bolt to budge at all! Granted I could have been doing it wrong as I had the car up on ramps instead of jacks stands?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Sounds dumb but...anyone have tips on how to loosen the dog bone bolt (oem). I tried once and I couldn't get that bolt to budge at all! Granted I could have been doing it wrong as I had the car up on ramps instead of jacks stands?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mine was jacked up. Just used a 1/2" drive socket wrench I think. If you can't get it use a long breaker bar. Or hit the gym hard for a few months :p

JLgti

Ready to race!
So I forgot to buy silicone spray. Is there any other way to get the BFI insert in? Water and soap maybe?